Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: All's quiet on the Dunn

Re: All's quiet on the Dunn

I would say tampa bay in the al,with a 3 year deal,for $13 million per season.Not much in the nl,best guess he will return to arizona,or a smaller deal in washington if he has to wait closer to spring traning=2 year,11.9 million.best bet go al and dh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    At the same time, everything is slow. No one is signing anywhere. They're saying nothing is going to pick up till the winter meetings. Teams are waiting to feel eachother out so they don't have to spend as much. I'm hearing that nothing is expected to go down with free agents until the winter meetings. The economic stuff has everyone out of whack. Its not just Dunn even though it appears that way. He's going to get a big contract somewhere IMO.
    Good point. I suspect that there is a lot to the trade rumors we hear. Teams are defining the trade space for later use. From an overpaying perspective, taking on a high salary for prospects is as risky as signing a FA. Teams are likely to wait until the top tier free agents take the big payroll teams off the market. Then the market can be established for the teams operating at thinner margins. Poorer teams may attempt to fill a need first with Rule 5.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Rosenthal's Latest: Dunn, Wood, Sheets By Nat Boyle [November 30 at 9:53am CST]
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    Ken Rosenthal suggests that in this economy some teams may not offer arbitration to Type A free agents to avoid risking a payroll hit. Further, some players may opt to accept the certainty of arbitration over "a volatile free agent period."

The Dbacks were always expected to offer arbitration to Adam Dunn and he was expected to decline thus netting Arizona two draft picks to compensate for the three players they dealt in August. In arbitration, Dunn would command $15-16MM. Says Rosenthal,

"...if the D-backs made the offer, it's doubtful that Dunn and his agents would determine by midnight Saturday that a multiyear contract was beyond their reach. What's more, the D-backs always could trade Dunn if he accepted their offer. In that sense, he would be an asset on a one-year deal; the Nationals, among other teams, would jump."

Dec. 1 -- Last day for teams to offer salary arbitration to their former players who became free agents.

Dec. 7 -- Last day for free agents offered salary arbitration to accept the offers.
    i just wanted to repost that. with the way things have been so slow i'll be curious to see if there are any surprises tonight.

Once the CC's, Tex's, and Manny being Manny's sign, other chips will start to fall. Teams and agents are waiting for the market to be set. A team like the LA Angels may view Dunn as a back up if they don't sign Tex or ManRam. Dunn is an offensive player that will be an asset to whatever team he signs with, but teams are going land the big guys first.

My prediction: Atlanta or Cleveland 4 yrs 64 million

Dunn NOT offered arbitration.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/1...-offer-ar.html

This means that Dunn will get a better contract now that teams don't have to worry about giving up draft picks to sign him.

They did offer arbitration to Orlando Hudson, Juan Cruz, and Brandon Lyon, which says something about Dunn's value to other teams, or lack thereof. My read, and it is just a guess, is that the D-Backs are confident that Hudson will have solid offers from other teams so they don't have to worry about him accepting, but they don't feel as confident about Dunn.

Also, the D-Back really need a power hitter for the middle of their lineup, and they had Dunn for two months, and clearly do not see him as a solution to their need, not even at market value for just one year. Very telling indeed.

i don't know that it helps his chances of a better contract although it probably does mean a team may be a little more willing to look at him as an option since they wouldn't lose a draft pick now. but i don't think this has anything to do with dunns value to teams. it's just about $.

obviously arizona didn't feel like they needed dunn as much as some on here think. they have eric byrnes to play left. is he more valuable than dunn? nope. but they probably feel that byrnes is their best option to hit leadoff. Also they expect justin upton to continue to improve to provide more power. From the moves they've made so far (like saying no to bringing randy johnson back for even $5 million) i think it's clear that this offseason is about cutting payroll for them. The others could've been easier to risk arbitration with cuz they fill a positional need and wouldn't have been nearly as expensive as dunn.

In my post above ken rosenthal thinks that if dunn went through arbitration that he would've made $15-16 million. it's possible that dunn could've decided to accept arbitration with the idea that it would only be one year in arizona with a nice raise and he could've further cemented his status as a top offensive player. then he could've hit the FA market next year with the chances of a much better multi year contract increased especially if the FA market/economy improved. but in the end i think the dbacks just couldn't afford to risk even a one year deal that big when their #1 priority seems to be to cut payroll.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-02-2008 at 06:28 AM.

This definitely increases Dunn's value, especially to teams that plan on spending some big bucks but don't have a protected draft pick. Dunn was likely to decline arbitration anyway, but the Dbacks are in serious financial trouble and couldn't afford to gamble. I'm sure Adam was pleased that arbitration wasn't offered.

Dunn is hitting free agency at a terrible time. 12 million maybe imo.

After helping the DBacks out of the playoff race I'd be surprised if he gets anywhere near his asking price. Liability in the field, NL teams would be foolish to give him a contract. Looks like he'll be headed to the AL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    After helping the DBacks out of the playoff race I'd be surprised if he gets anywhere near his asking price. Liability in the field, NL teams would be foolish to give him a contract. Looks like he'll be headed to the AL.
    Helping the DBacks out of the playoff? I'm sure his over .400 OBP, .889 OPS and virtually 1:1 BB/K ratio really cost them the playoffs...perhaps it was the rest of his team falling off and the Dodgers playing over their heads???

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Helping the DBacks out of the playoff? I'm sure his over .400 OBP, .889 OPS and virtually 1:1 BB/K ratio really cost them the playoffs...perhaps it was the rest of his team falling off and the Dodgers playing over their heads???
    I think his point is that his numbers were great as usual, but didn't seem to help the D-Backs win any more games. The D-Backs played worse with Dunn in the lineup than without him, even though he hit as well has he ever has. Still I don't think that it was Dunn's fault, Hudson was injured during that time too, and their bullpen fell apart at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think his point is that his numbers were great as usual, but didn't seem to help the D-Backs win any more games. The D-Backs played worse with Dunn in the lineup than without him, even though he hit as well has he ever has. Still I don't think that it was Dunn's fault, Hudson was injured during that time too, and their bullpen fell apart at the end.
    Then it was poorly written, because if anything he kept them from finishing worse.

That's just as bad as claiming it's Dunn's fault the Reds didn't win while he was here...

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    This definitely increases Dunn's value, especially to teams that plan on spending some big bucks but don't have a protected draft pick. Dunn was likely to decline arbitration anyway, but the Dbacks are in serious financial trouble and couldn't afford to gamble. I'm sure Adam was pleased that arbitration wasn't offered.
    or maybe dunn would have liked to have arbitration with the dbacks as a fall back option. i don't think he'll make less than the $13 million he made last year but he may not make the $16 million he could've received from an arbitrator either.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Then it was poorly written, because if anything he kept them from finishing worse.

That's just as bad as claiming it's Dunn's fault the Reds didn't win while he was here...
    So I'm gathering you're upset we parted w/ him and you would want him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    So I'm gathering you're upset we parted w/ him and you would want him back.
    I would want Dunn back, especially now with his type A status being nullified by not receiving an offer for arb. I know he is left handed, but I think handedness is a bit overrated and production is production. Dunn is consistent and consistently good and if the only other option is to acquire someone like Jermaine Dye, I would think Dunn would be a better option than giving up a top prospect. The only issue I see with bringing Dunn back would be blocking a spot for Alonso when he is ready for the bigs, you know the whole moving votto to left and all.

Turn Off Ads?