Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is this world just nuts????

Re: Is this world just nuts????

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Has anyone ever been in a riot situation?
    Actually when we were in New York this past summer for the Reds/Yanks series, there was one interesting subway experience as we headed to one of the games. With everyone heading to the Bronx, the subways get pretty packed and sometimes you have to wait for several trains before you're able to find some areas to hop on.

Well one group during one stop decided they weren't going to wait any longer and tried to bull rush their way on to the train. I could feel myself getting lifted up and being moved due to the sheer force of the crowd trying to push their way in. Despite yelling at the crowd telling them to knock it off since there wasn't any room, they kept pushing. It wasn't until voices got raised and the profanity started flying that the outside crowd realized that the train was beyond capacity.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Honestly, I have a hard time faulting Wal-Mart in this situation. At some point, the people in line have to take some responsibility for their behavior. These people weren't struggling to get away from a disaster of some sort; they were shopping...trying to save a few bucks.

In a common sense world, people act in such a way that they keep such things in perspective and respect those around them. Wal-Mart isn't responsible for people acting like starving animals fighting for a meal. Reasonable security is one thing; the behavior of the people in that line shouldn't be softened because there weren't police keeping shoppers from killing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Jethro Tull at the Riverfront Coliseum 8 months prior to the Who Concert tragedy, same situation as the Who concert, surging crowd, one door and screaming people... I fell down (I was 14 and weighed 100 pounds) someone stepped on me and this huge guy reached down and grabbed me and flung me forward to my feet and towards the door.

He's my all time hero.
    Something similar happened to me. I was working one of the Lollapalooza shows at Blossom Music Center. My shift ended, so I took off my staff shirt, but still had my ID around my neck, and went down to the pit to catch NIN. I was standing at the back of the pit, by some barriers when some kids broke through the barriers and started rushing the stage. One of the barriers hit me in the knee and I got trapped under it as people ran over me. A guy with a mohawk and a girl with pink hair each grabbed an arm and pulled me up, saving my life. I lost them in the sea of people, but I repay them by lending a hand whenever I see someone in trouble.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Honestly, I have a hard time faulting Wal-Mart in this situation. At some point, the people in line have to take some responsibility for their behavior. These people weren't struggling to get away from a disaster of some sort; they were shopping...trying to save a few bucks.

In a common sense world, people act in such a way that they keep such things in perspective and respect those around them. Wal-Mart isn't responsible for people acting like starving animals fighting for a meal. Reasonable security is one thing; the behavior of the people in that line shouldn't be softened because there weren't police keeping shoppers from killing someone.

Yes, those people need to take responsibility but there were thousands of stores all over the country - including other Wal Marts - that didn't have a similar incident. So either the people who shop that Wal Mart are bloodthirsty animals that can't control themselves, or that particular Wal Mart screwed up.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yes, those people need to take responsibility but there were thousands of stores all over the country - including other Wal Marts - that didn't have a similar incident. So either the people who shop that Wal Mart are bloodthirsty animals that can't control themselves, or that particular Wal Mart screwed up.
    I'll pick A.

Man Pills

I'll pick A.
    I'd say that is unlikely. It fits a neat narrative (personal responsibility of the MOB; that's new one), but I see no reason to believe that these people alone were doing something that millions of other Americans wouldn't do under the very same circumstances.

Maybe this particular store was located on a hellmouth that turned two thousand people into evil demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd say that is unlikely. It fits a neat narrative (personal responsibility of the MOB; that's new one), but I see no reason to believe that these people alone were doing something that millions of other Americans wouldn't do under the very same circumstances.

Maybe this particular store was located on a hellmouth that turned two thousand people into evil demons.
    Indian burial ground, perchance?

The store definitely bears the brunt of the liability for this incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Indian burial ground, perchance?

The store definitely bears the brunt of the liability for this incident.
    Its a sad day when a store or a corporation is forced to take the responsibility for human beings acting like rabid dogs.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its a sad day when a store or a corporation is forced to take the responsibility for human beings acting like rabid dogs.
    Why?

Again, other stores found ways to stem situations like this.

So you're saying that Buffy would have been more use than more security?

Why?

Again, other stores found ways to stem situations like this.
    So your saying that the shoppers behavior was acceptable?!?!? From the reports I have heard the shoppers unhinged the doors from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    So your saying that the shoppers behavior was acceptable?!?!? From the reports I have heard the shoppers unhinged the doors from the outside.
    The better question is did the shoppers behavior at the stores that didn't have problems differ from the shoppers at the stores that did?

Just because the crowds might have been big at both stores doesn't mean the shoppers at both stores acted the same way.

Just as because both stores had Wall-Mart on the marquee doesn't mean they both handled the crowd the same way. If you are going to question Wall-Mart (which is reasonable) you have to ask the same question of the shoppers.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-03-2008 at 05:58 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    The better question is did the shoppers behavior at the stores that didn't have problems differ from the shoppers at the stores that did?

Just because the crowds might have been big at both stores doesn't mean the shoppers at both stores acted the same way.

Just as just because both stores had Wall-Mart on the marquee doesn't mean they both handled the crowd the same way. If you are going to question Wall-Mart you have to ask the same question of the shoppers.

Both the store and the shoppers are at fault. This isn't an either/or answer. Some people in here have compared this incident to the Who concert here back in the 70s. Does that mean that Cincinnatians are horrible, horrible monsters or that it was a problem with the ticket setup and the security since nothing similar has happened there since? It doesn't excuse their actions but it's going to be a lot easier to find Wal Mart responsible than a mass of people - most of whom are unidentifiable. If they can identify someone who stomped that poor guy, prosecute the hell out of them. But that's going to be easier said than done.

So are we now to the point that we need uber-security in, say movie theaters, because everybody in there may go crazy because they didn't like the movie? Sure, I don't expect people to act like that at a movie theater, but I also don't expect them to trample a store employee in a rush to get a toy at a discount.

So are we now to the point that we need uber-security in, say movie theaters, because everybody in there may go crazy because they didn't like the movie? Sure, I don't expect people to act like that at a movie theater, but I also don't expect them to trample a store employee in a rush to get a toy at a discount.

How many of these incidents have we had at movie theaters?

Turn Off Ads?