Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds SS...Phillips???

Reds SS...Phillips???

Why can't the Reds just move Phillips to SS and bring in a 2B of which there is a ton in FA....I don't get why everyone seems to want the Reds to part with pitching when we already have a Gold Glove caliber SS on the team as it is.......

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds SS...Phillips???

He's been at 2B for a few years now and has established himself there. It's different moving to the 6-hole - different range, longer throw, etc. Sure he's probably athletic enough to handle the change over time, but no sense it making that move right now.

- they still can, and may, move phillips to ss
    - a ton of 2b available? outside of hudson who else is a definite starter? alot of teams will want him.
    - with the financial limits we have we may not pick up a ss this offseason and may wait til summer of '09 or next offseason for the next batch of FA's.
    - of course walt will explore trades and i know some would like a trade for an established ss. i'd prefer a ss prospect and to not deal a pitcher unless it's maloney.

I keep saying this....there is a reason Phillips was moved from SS to 2B. SS and 2B are completely different positions at the major league level. At SS he would be an average defender at best...at 2B he has the ability to take hits away.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    I keep saying this....there is a reason Phillips was moved from SS to 2B. SS and 2B are completely different positions at the major league level. At SS he would be an average defender at best...at 2B he has the ability to take hits away.
    ditto. There is absolutely no reason to move him. Why would you move a superior player at one position so he can be a mediocre player at another? It simply does not make sense. They are two totally different positions.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    ditto. There is absolutely no reason to move him. Why would you move a superior player at one position so he can be a mediocre player at another? It simply does not make sense. They are two totally different positions.
    A superior player? Defensively yes but offensively no. At SS he would be way more valuable. A average SS overall is worth more than an average second baseman. Especially when Keppinger isa your other viable option at SS at this time.

Gonzalez is the SS. As long as he's healthy, he'll be the SS. He's making too much $$ to sit.

just to make it clear, i prefer phillips stays at 2nd but what we think doesn't matter. it's what the reds/walt thinks that matters. supply and demand matters a little too. if, for some reason, the reds decide they NEED to acquire someone and the only ss available are average at best or too expensive and there's a solid 2nd baseman available.... well never say never. my bet is they'll wait til feb to see how agon is and long term they'll look for a ss prospect, a trade in june/july, or a FA next year.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 11-29-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eichstadtreds View Post
    A superior player? Defensively yes but offensively no. At SS he would be way more valuable. A average SS overall is worth more than an average second baseman. Especially when Keppinger isa your other viable option at SS at this time.
    Phillips is not a superior offensive 2nd basemen? I know he regressed a bit last year offensively, but I think it is fair to place some of that on the pressure of batting in the 4 hole where he does not belong. He is still in the top 10 offensively of major league 2nd basemen, and if he goes back to his 07' he could crack the top 5. He also won the gold glove, a gold glove 2nd basemen who is at least average offensively is a darn good 2nd baseman to have. It is way better than a SS who is average offensively and defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Phillips is not a superior offensive 2nd basemen? I know he regressed a bit last year offensively, but I think it is fair to place some of that on the pressure of batting in the 4 hole where he does not belong. He is still in the top 10 offensively of major league 2nd basemen, and if he goes back to his 07' he could crack the top 5. He also won the gold glove, a gold glove 2nd basemen who is at least average offensively is a darn good 2nd baseman to have. It is way better than a SS who is average offensively and defensively.
    I agree Griff. Anyone who dogs Phillips loses all credibility as far as I am concerned. I do NOT understand all the negativity towards him.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    I agree Griff. Anyone who dogs Phillips loses all credibility as far as I am concerned. I do NOT understand all the negativity towards him.
    And I do not understand all the people who think he is the greatest since joe Morgan. I don't have the stats and I am too lazy too look them up but he was very average offensively. If he played all his games outside GAB he wouldn't hit near 30 hrs. His OBP wasn't nothing to write home about. If you bat him sixth and put him at SS he is valuable. If you bat him fourth and put him at second he as a defensive star but offensively he is a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I agree with what you said but I disagree he would only be average defensively at SS. That is where we differ and why I think he needs to be moved to up his value as a player.

If Gonzo is healthy then he has to play, however if the Reds have to make a move I would like to see them bring back Felipe Lopez to find out if his late season surge was the real deal if the money was the right fit for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred View Post
    If Gonzo is healthy then he has to play, however if the Reds have to make a move I would like to see them bring back Felipe Lopez to find out if his late season surge was the real deal if the money was the right fit for the Reds.
    Maybe as a bench bat and occasional 2B caddy, but Lopez should never start at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by eichstadtreds View Post
    And I do not understand all the people who think he is the greatest since joe Morgan. I don't have the stats and I am too lazy too look them up but he was very average offensively. If he played all his games outside GAB he wouldn't hit near 30 hrs. His OBP wasn't nothing to write home about. If you bat him sixth and put him at SS he is valuable. If you bat him fourth and put him at second he as a defensive star but offensively he is a liability.
    Funny you should say that because IMO Phillips is the best 2nd baseman the REDS have had since Joe morgan. So I guess I am one of those people.If he played all his games outside the GAB? He doesn't and that just isn't a very good argument, Thats like saying if he played all his games there he would hit 60. If Utley didn't play half his games in philly he wouldn't hit as many HRs so whats your point with this?
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 11-29-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Turn Off Ads?