Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Votto to 3rd?

Votto to 3rd?

I posted this in another thread and want to get your feed back on this. With all the talk on here of EE and Phillips moving why not try moving Votto to 3rd. His off the bag defense at 1st is very good and he was a catcher at one time so his arm and range should play at 3rd. Move EE in a deal or play him at first untill Yonder Alonso is ready and then play him in left or trade him then.

Either way I don't see any reason why Votto couldn't be a plus defender at 3rd and the move would make his bat elite there. With a little work (and we all know Votto is all about putting in the work to be the best he can be) he could become an All-Star 3rd baseman for the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto to 3rd?

Isn't his arm kinda poor for the Hot corner?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Isn't his arm kinda poor for the Hot corner?
    I don't think so. I haven't seen it alot but I have seen him take some cut-offs from right and throw some darts to home. He started out as a Catcher and was moved as I understand it because of his bat being to good not to play everyday so I would think he would have the arm to play 3rd
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 11-29-2008 at 04:27 PM.

How about we just trade for a quality third baseman, keep Votto at 1B, Phillips at 2B, and Gonzo at SS? Why do we need to start moving guys around?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    How about we just trade for a quality third baseman, keep Votto at 1B, Phillips at 2B, and Gonzo at SS? Why do we need to start moving guys around?
    Yeah, Garrett Atkins is available and thats the way to go...

This is my list of targets to aquire...

#1 Garrett Atkins...

3rd base solved and you free up EE to be traded or moved to Left field...

#2 Rafael Furcal

New Lead Off Hitter and On Base Machine... Great Defense and with Brandon Phillips, combines for one of the Best Middel Infields in the Majors... Also makes an Impact for the Jake Peavy Trade... Shows Peavy that you are serious for contending by adding Atkins and Furcal...

#3 Jake Peavy

You get an ACE and every other starter benefits from moving down a spot in the rotation...

#4 Joe Beimel

This team needs a great Lefty out of the Bullpen and he is an upgrade over Affeldt

#5 Ivan Rodriguez

A perfect tutor to Hanigan, and if Hanigan flops... It is only a 1 year deal and you can find a Catcher Next year or can trade for one for 2010...

If Votto could play third base he would already be there. Putting Votto at third would be like putting Dunn there, laughable at best.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    If Votto could play third base he would already be there. Putting Votto at third would be like putting Dunn there, laughable at best.
    Agreed.

Taking cuts is nothing like throwing from 3B. Votto has never played catcher even in the minor leagues. Unless it was way back in high school or something.

*posts like this is why I often have to take a break from Redszone.
    Last edited by Orodle; 11-29-2008 at 05:44 PM.

just sign joe crede, we have the money after trading jr and dunn. He can hit and is a gold glove 3b.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    just sign joe crede, we have the money after trading jr and dunn. He can hit and is a gold glove 3b.
    I like Crede too but I think someone will overpay for him after the Big Run Producers sign...

Thats why I want Walt to grab Garrett Atkins from the Rockies while they are in dismantle Mode...

attkins is about as bad defensivly as ee is

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    Agreed.

Taking cuts is nothing like throwing from 3B. Votto has never played catcher even in the minor leagues. Unless it was way back in high school or something.

Well, go take a break from redzone then. You will not be missed. As far as my idea to move Votto to 3rd I was just throwing it out there the same way others are throwing around other ideas of Phillips and EE. Do I think it should happen no but I do think it could work out if the move was made.
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 11-29-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    Agreed.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/Canada/Draft/draft_2002.html

2nd round -- Joey Votto, 3B, 18, Richview College Institute, Toronto (bats L, throws R, 6-3, 200): The 44th overall selection already has reached an oral contract agreement with the Reds. Though Votto was drafted as a third baseman, Cincinnati plans to try him as a catcher. McKeon said Votto worked out with Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench, who "was very pleased and surprised that this kid has limited catching experience. We're going to keep him behind the plate and let that left-handed bat carry him as far as it can."

You see Joey Votto started out his MLB career in Dayton as a catcher. He was moved because of his bat and the lack of depth at First in the organization. Like I said before I don't think he should or will be moved to 3rd it was just an idea I had running around in my head. I wanted to see what other informed poster thought about it but you should really get your fact right before you put down others posts/ideas
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 11-30-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post

You see Joey Votto started out his MLB career in Dayton as a catcher. He was moved because of his bat and the lack of depth at First in the organization. Like I said before I don't think he should or will be moved to 3rd it was just an idea I had running around in my head. I wanted to see what other informed poster thought about it but you should really get your fact right before you put down others posts/ideas
    makes me wonder what his defense was like as a catcher cuz you don't move a player from catcher to 1st cuz you think he could hit when he's first drafted. lack of depth at 1st? did we have an abundance of depth at catcher that i didn't know about? i know that was in 2002 but ...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    makes me wonder what his defense was like as a catcher cuz you don't move a player from catcher to 1st cuz you think he could hit when he's first drafted. lack of depth at 1st? did we have an abundance of depth at catcher that i didn't know about? i know that was in 2002 but ...
    It could have been below avg. as well I don't know I listed the reason that I saw from different sorces. The only reason Catcher was brought up was to say that he must have the arm to play 3rd or they wouldn't have tried him behind the plate. Your not going to move a guy with a rag arm back there.I wouldn't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/Canada/Draft/draft_2002.html

2nd round -- Joey Votto, 3B, 18, Richview College Institute, Toronto (bats L, throws R, 6-3, 200): The 44th overall selection already has reached an oral contract agreement with the Reds. Though Votto was drafted as a third baseman, Cincinnati plans to try him as a catcher. McKeon said Votto worked out with Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench, who "was very pleased and surprised that this kid has limited catching experience. We're going to keep him behind the plate and let that left-handed bat carry him as far as it can."

They may have had that idea but hes never played 1 inning at the catching position anywhere.

Turn Off Ads?