Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jake Fox?

Jake Fox?

I've been looking around for possibilities for the Reds outfield situation. If they are not going to go out and get an established power hitter (and I, for one, will be disappointed if they don't!), I was wondering about a guy in the Cubs system named Jake Fox. Fox is a converted catcher who hits for power and has been playing some AA/AAA right field. He looks to be a pretty good prospect and a good quality character player. I have to admit, I don't know the whole story on him, but i do see that he is capable of hitting 30 homers and knocking in around 100 runs in a season. Anybody know anything about him and what it might take to acquire him? At age 26, with no place to play for the Cubs...he might be reasonably cheap. (Rule 5?).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jake Fox?

The Reds would be picking up a quality citizen and talented player in Jake Fox. Jake played for Cathedral High School in Indianapolis where his father is the Athletic Director. He played college ball at Michigan and was a 2003 3rd Round Draft pick of the Cubs. After joining the Cubs organization, he formed a foundation that gives money to charity from funds he raises at a baseball clinic he holds for young baseball players around Christmas time in Greenfield, Indiana where he played travel baseball for the Indiana Bandits. Last year, his buddy Kyle Gibson the University of Missouri RH Pitcher who is projected as a first round pick next year, helped with the clinic. They were both great with the kids. Baseball-wise, he lost out to Soto as the catcher of the future for the Cubs. When Jake had a cup of coffee with the Cubs in 2007, they started converting him to an outfielder. (I saw him get his first major league RBI against the Reds at Wrigley). Reports are that last year when they sent him to AA, he was not happy and tried to get his agent to get a trade to another organization. The Cubs refused to trade him, so he just played hard and ended up having a terrific season for the Tennessee Smokies being selected as a Southern League All-Star after batting .311 in 100 games with 25 HRs and led the league in OPS with .996. He has been used in the outfield, firstbase and as a DH. He even was called up and played for the I-Cubs in the playoffs. Jake can hit and word is he still loves to catch. He would be a terrific pickup for the Reds.

Jake is still a project if you want someone to come in and have a impact in 09 he is probebly not your guy. Great pickup for the Reds yes, but not as a everday outfielder. Rule 5 maybe...I don't think the Cubs will protect him.

kinda sounds like he could be at least an emergency catcher/utility player ala wilkin castillo. even if he is drafted in the rule V a trade could be worked out so he could play at AAA.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

I had the pleasure of sitting next to several Jake Fox family members at a Tennessee Smokies game in 2007. If you remember ex-Pittsburgh Pirate and Chicago White Sox player Mike Diaz or a fitter version of ex-Cub Hector Villenueva from the past, you've got Fox. Given 200 AB's in the right circumstances, he would hit 7-8 HR and about .265.
    Last edited by dougflynn23; 12-04-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Turn Off Ads?