Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Misc Rumors

Misc Rumors

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    Perrotto's Latest: Teixeira, Burnett, Wilson
    By Nat Boyle [November 30 at 1:02pm CST]
    John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus has his Sunday article up. Let's go through it:

-The Angels may be willing to match the Yankees $140MM offer to CC Sabathia. They won't offer 10 years to Mark Teixeira. If they can't land Teixeira, they will consider Pat Burrell for first base.
    -A.J. Burnett is looking at the Blue Jays, Red Sox, Yankees, Braves, Orioles, and Phillies.
    -The Twins want a left-side infielder for Delmon Young, so they can open a spot for Denard Span in the starting lineup.
    -The Tigers are pursuing Jack Wilson from the Pirates and Matt Treanor from the Marlins. They are also putting high priority on signing Joe Beimel who's getting interest from a number of teams.
    -The Dodgers will not re-sign Rafael Furcal for health reasons so the Giants, Athletics, and Reds are his most likely destinations.
    -The Cubs will need to offer more than Jason Marquis to the Royals for David DeJesus. If they can't get it done, they'd sign Raul Ibanez over Bobby Abreu.
    -The Braves are interested in Javier Vazquez and Jermaine Dye...
    -The Reds need to offer more than Homer Bailey to get Dye.
    -The Mets are considering Jon Garland, Vazquez, Edwin Jackson, Andy Sonnanstine. --The Rays want more than Aaron Heilman for either of their starters.
    -The Mets could soon become suitors for Manny Ramirez.
    -The Brewers could soon become suitors for Francisco Rodriguez.
    -The Astros are targeting Paul Bako and David Ross as backup catchers.
    -The Rockies are trying to find lefthanders, eyeing Alan Embree, Will Ohman, Brian Shouse, and Glendon Rusch.

Cafardo's Latest: Lowe, Lowell, Dye, Saltalamacchia
    By Nat Boyle [November 30 at 12:18pm CST]
    Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says when Derek Lowe sat down with his agent, he inquired first about the Boston Red Sox. Says Cafardo,

"This Lowe doesn't bear much resemblance to the guy who left the Sox after 2004. Back then, his out-of-control personal life seemed to consume him. The Red Sox didn't want to deal with it and let him become a free agent. Lowe feels leaving was the best thing. 'I think I'm a lot better pitcher now, teammate now, than I was four years ago,' he said. 'Sometimes you have to learn, and I think getting out of Boston was the best thing for me.'"

Lowe notes the Red Sox fit the mold of what he's looking for in his next team.

And around the bigs:

-Roy Oswalt is pushing Ben Sheets to consider the Astros.
    -Split opinions on interest in Mike Lowell, but either way this shouldn't affect the Red Sox pursuit of Mark Teixeira. Cafardo lists Dodgers, Angels, Indians, and Twins as possible destinations for Lowell.
    -Jermaine Dye is a good fit for Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and the Mets. The White Sox would want more than Andy Sonnanstine or Edwin Jackson in exchange for Dye.
    -Jarrod Saltalamacchia looks good in the Dominican League, hitting .435 with 4 homeruns and 2 doubles in 23 ABs.
    -Willie Bloomquist could be Alex Cora's replacement at utility in Boston.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 11-30-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Misc Rumors

-The Dodgers will not re-sign Rafael Furcal for health reasons so the Giants, Athletics, and Reds are his most likely destinations.
    Sounds Good, doubt he ends up in cincy tho

-The Braves are interested in Javier Vazquez and Jermaine Dye...
    -The Reds need to offer more than Homer Bailey to get Dye.

Well I would put together a nice package to get both of them. Gives a #2-3 starter and a starting leftfielder for the next two years.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

I'm finding the lack of moves and spending, very, very interesting.

Teams are being cautious.

Outside of the very big names like Sabathia and Manny, you aren't seeing alot of movement. And it also seems like teams that started out interested in some of these guys, have changed their minds and are tightening their wallets.

I'm thinking many of these guys aren't going to get paid what they think they are worth.
    Who's on first?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Ms. Lippy's car...... is Green
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

If we have to give up more then Homer for Dye then don't do the deal. I don't like it to begin with though granted Homer's potential. You would be giving up a potential 1 or 2 for 2 years of a below average defensive aging RF.

NO THANKS
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I'm finding the lack of moves and spending, very, very interesting.

Teams are being cautious.

Outside of the very big names like Sabathia and Manny, you aren't seeing alot of movement. And it also seems like teams that started out interested in some of these guys, have changed their minds and are tightening their wallets.

I'm thinking many of these guys aren't going to get paid what they think they are worth.
    I've read more than a few places that things really won't get rolling until the Winter Meetings which actually start at the end of this week. I bet we start hearing more things regarding FA signings next week and the week after once those Winter Meetings are over.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I really don't want furcal,I'm afraid of another alex gonzalez on our payroll with no return.A back injury is smothing to worry about.I would like to have dye,give up bailey and paul janish.

Dye deal to Cincinnati on hold
    Rumor had it the White Sox were shipping Jermaine Dye and his 137 homers in the last four years to Cincinnati in exchange for perhaps a backup catcher for A.J. Pierzynski as well as one of the Reds' surplus arms (Homer Bailey? Josh Roenicke? Matt Maloney?). But now it appears there is some financial reason the deal is being held up. Dye is supposed to make $11.5 million in 2009 and could be bought out for $1 million in 2010 if he proves to be a bust for the Reds. (Chicago Tribune)

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Dye deal to Cincinnati on hold
    Rumor had it the White Sox were shipping Jermaine Dye and his 137 homers in the last four years to Cincinnati in exchange for perhaps a backup catcher for A.J. Pierzynski as well as one of the Reds' surplus arms (Homer Bailey? Josh Roenicke? Matt Maloney?). But now it appears there is some financial reason the deal is being held up. Dye is supposed to make $11.5 million in 2009 and could be bought out for $1 million in 2010 if he proves to be a bust for the Reds. (Chicago Tribune)
    That is interesting consider we are also looking for a catcher
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    If we have to give up more then Homer for Dye then don't do the deal. I don't like it to begin with though granted Homer's potential. You would be giving up a potential 1 or 2 for 2 years of a below average defensive aging RF.

NO THANKS

Homer will never be anything better than a 4th starter.

I don't want Furcal only because of his current injury and age.

I don't really want Dye unless he comes to us for little in return.
    Who's on first?

I tried to underline all of the type A FA's. If they aren't offered arbitration then they won't cost the team that signs them a draft pick which would make them a more attractive pick up.

Arbitration Rumors By Tim Dierkes [December 1 at 9:21am CST]
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The deadline for each team's arbitration decisions is 11pm CST tonight. In this post I am gathering up all the rumors about those decisions. I'll add updates throughout the day. Check out MLBTR reader predictions here and here.

-Larry LaRue says the Mariners will "almost certainly" offer arb to Raul Ibanez.
    -Todd Zolecki says the Phillies won't offer arb to Tom Gordon or Rudy Seanez. He believes Jamie Moyer will get an offer but Pat Burrell may be too risky.
    -Padres GM Kevin Towers says it's "doubtful" they'll offer arb to Trevor Hoffman.
    -Mark Bowman says John Smoltz won't be offered arb.
    -Jordan Bastian says A.J. Burnett will be offered arbitration.
    -Tom Haudricourt says C.C. Sabathia will get an offer and Eric Gagne won't. He expects Ben Sheets to get an offer but is unsure on Brian Shouse. Adam McCalvy says the Brewers are certain to offer arb to Shouse.
    -Ken Davidoff says Bobby Abreu, Oliver Perez, and Mike Mussina will be offered arbitration. Andy Pettitte, Jason Giambi, Ivan Rodriguez, Moises Alou, and Luis Ayala will not be offered arb. River Ave. Blues doesn't agree with the probable Pettitte decision. According to George King of the New York Post, the Yanks made an offer below $16MM to Pettitte a few weeks ago, which was rejected.
    -Ian Browne says it's a "near given" the Red Sox will offer arb to Jason Varitek.
    -Troy E. Renck says the Rockies will offer arb to Brian Fuentes.
    -The San Francisco Chronicle says Frank Thomas will not be offered arbitration, perhaps because he'd like to come back. Alan Embree might be.
    -Ken Rosenthal says the decisions for Adam Dunn, Kerry Wood, and Sheets could go either way.
    -Gordon Wittenmyer says the Cubs won't offer arb to Wood if they expect him to accept. He says Bob Howry will not be offered arb.
    -Scott Merkin says Juan Uribe and Ken Griffey Jr. will not be offered arb, while Orlando Cabrera probably will be.
    -An arb offer to Mark Grudzielanek seems unlikely, but Dayton Moore wouldn't rule it out.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-01-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Here are the type A FA's that aren't listed in the post above: Mark Teixeira, Orlando Hudson, Edgar Renteria, Manny Ramirez, Derek Lowe, Francisco Rodriguez, Doug Brocail, Juan Cruz, Darren Oliver, and Russ Springer.

Ahhh... time to sell low on Homer Bailey. Great idea!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Bailey for Dye is a deal we will look back on in anguish 5 years from now.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Bailey for Dye is a deal we will look back on in anguish 5 years from now.
    you mean, kinda like Haren for Mulder? It's not like the precedence hasn't already been set.

Turn Off Ads?