Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii Winter League top 20 prospects

Hawaii Winter League top 20 prospects

Yonder Alonso is #3 behind Buster Posey and Andrew Brackman. Seriously, Andrew Brackman #2? That is funny. Brackman posted a 5.56 ERA and walked 25 batters in 34 innings. Posey posted a .797 OPS compared to Alonso's .929 OPS. Todd Frazier was #7.

A little summary on what Baseball America had to say about Alonso and Frazier:

On Alonso:

Most offensive upside of any prospect in Hawaii. Strong, short to the ball, and very selective. Could move quickly. Hits to all parts of the field. Good plate coverage. Biggest adjustment will be facing lefties with good breaking balls.

On Frazier:

Fast hands compensate for a high setup. Held his own at shortstop. Has plus raw power and led the league in slugging. The ball jumps off his bat. Will be a frontline hitter. Played all four positions (1B, 3B, SS, LF) well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hawaii Winter League top 20 prospects

1. Buster Posey, c, Waikiki BeachBoys (Giants)

2. Andrew Brackman, rhp, Waikiki BeachBoys (Yankees)

3. Yonder Alonso, 1b, Waikiki BeachBoys (Reds)

4. Dominic Brown, of, Honolulu Sharks (Phillies)

5. Kyle Drabek, rhp, Honolulu Sharks (Phillies)

6. Jason Castro, c, North Shore Honu (Astros)

7. Todd Frazier, if/of, Waikiki BeachBoys (Reds)

8. Jeremy Bleich, lhp, Waikiki BeachBoys (Yankees)

9. Michael Taylor, of, Honolulu Sharks (Phillies)

10. Roger Kieschnick, of, Waikiki BeachBoys (Giants)

11. Chris Carter, 1b, North Shore (Athletics).

12. Caleb Gindl, of, West Oahu (Brewers).

13. Brad Emaus, 2b/3b, Honolulu (Blue Jays).

14. Jonny Venters, lhp, Honolulu (Braves).

15. Kyle Martin, ss/3b, North Shore (Royals).

16. Ryan Kalish, of, North Shore (Red Sox).

17. Mark Hallberg, 2b, West Oahu (Diamondbacks).

18. Javy Guerra, rhp, Waikiki (Dodgers).

19. Kyle Bloom, lhp, West Oahu (Pirates).

20. Tony Cruz, c/3b, Honolulu (Sharks)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1811

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yonder Alonso is #3 behind Buster Posey and Andrew Brackman. Seriously, Andrew Brackman #2? That is funny. Brackman posted a 5.56 ERA and walked 25 batters in 34 innings. Posey posted a .797 OPS compared to Alonso's .929 OPS. Todd Frazier was #7.

A little summary on what Baseball America had to say about Alonso and Frazier:

On Alonso:

Most offensive upside of any prospect in Hawaii. Strong, short to the ball, and very selective. Could move quickly. Hits to all parts of the field. Good plate coverage. Biggest adjustment will be facing lefties with good breaking balls.

On Frazier:

Fast hands compensate for a high setup. Held his own at shortstop. Has plus raw power and led the league in slugging. The ball jumps off his bat. Will be a frontline hitter. Played all four positions (1B, 3B, SS, LF) well.
    Seems like both guys reports are right on point with what the consensus is on them.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    On Frazier:

What others are seeing as a downside for Frazier may actually be a primary strength - he can be slotted at 4 positions, albeit probably as a emergency fill in at SS. Seems he is at least okay at all four which would be a big plus. If his bat is just okay for a left fielder that becomes a lot more acceptable for a leftfielder who can fill in at 3 other spots in need. I like Frazier more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    What others are seeing as a downside for Frazier may actually be a primary strength - he can be slotted at 4 positions, albeit probably as a emergency fill in at SS. Seems he is at least okay at all four which would be a big plus. If his bat is just okay for a left fielder that becomes a lot more acceptable for a leftfielder who can fill in at 3 other spots in need. I like Frazier more and more.
    The way I see it is if he held his own there at SS, why is it a stretch to think he can't play a MLB 3B? I see no reason why he can't be our next 3B, unless his arm/reaction time isn't ideal which I have never heard either as a negative for him.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Baseball America is holding a chat at 3:00. Make sure you send in some Reds related questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    The way I see it is if he held his own there at SS, why is it a stretch to think he can't play a MLB 3B? I see no reason why he can't be our next 3B, unless his arm/reaction time isn't ideal which I have never heard either as a negative for him.
    Or how about this - everyone is banging the Valaika at SS for a couple years then moving. Why not Frazier? Can you imagine his bat at SS if he could play average defensive ball until someone like Cozart could arrive? Pipe dream, I know, but I do agree he could be the third baseman in 2010 or 2011.

I'm still thinking 3B is where Frazier will end up. Given that he keeps hitting the baseball, the Reds need to settle him on a position next season. Right now Frazier's flexibility means he can handle another position while Juan Francisco (who's not as flexible) plays 3B, but the Reds need to stop thinking in terms of what's convenient for constructing a minor league lineup on a given day and instead concentrate on their needs as an organization. Either Francisco should be held up in A ball, Frazier should go to AAA or Francisco should be given a job other than 3B.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

It should be a top priority of the organization to figure out, next season and no later, whether Todd Frazier can play 3b at the major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm still thinking 3B is where Frazier will end up. Given that he keeps hitting the baseball, the Reds need to settle him on a position next season. Right now Frazier's flexibility means he can handle another position while Juan Francisco (who's not as flexible) plays 3B, but the Reds need to stop thinking in terms of what's convenient for constructing a minor league lineup on a given day and instead concentrate on their needs as an organization. Either Francisco should be held up in A ball, Frazier should go to AAA or Francisco should be given a job other than 3B.
    I think the Reds sign Juan Rivera to a 2 year deal and have him play LF until Frazier is ready to take over in LF.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, ideally both should get some time at 3B. In AA pitchers start to hit in some stadiums. When the Mudcats get to use the DH, they should probably DH Francisco and let Frazier play at 3B. At least get Frazier some time at 3B, but I don't see them pushing Frazier to AAA just yet or keeping Francisco in High A either.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    I think the Reds sign Juan Rivera to a 2 year deal and have him play LF until Frazier is ready to take over in LF.
    Maybe, but it's a lot easier to find a LF than a 3B. If Frazier can play 3B, then it's kind of nonsensical to station him in LF. Traditionally speaking, a player who's been a SS goes to either 2B, 3B or CF on a position change.

Frazier gives them their big RH bat they lack. I think Francisco will stick at 3rd. Throw Alonso in the mix and the Mudcats are going to fun to watch next year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Frazier gives them their big RH bat they lack. I think Francisco will stick at 3rd. Throw Alonso in the mix and the Mudcats are going to fun to watch next year.
    I think Francisco is going to slug .600 next year in his time in Carolina. They shortened their RF fence to something like 308 feet for next year. Given his already crazy power, give him that distance and he is going to destroy the baseball.

Is the priority what's good for the Carolina Mudcats or the Cincinnati Reds? Because what you've got there is a Mudcats plan.

I'm sure the Reds will be frustrating and indecisive on this matter and choose the path of least resistance - e.g. putting Frazier where the hole is in the AA lineup, probably an OF corner. Doesn't make it a smart thing to do. The organization owes itself a long trial for Frazier at 3B.

On a separate note, the Reds' indecision on where to play Frazier should be a neon sign to other organizations to make him the prospect they insist on in any majors for minors swap. Are the Reds really going to make the kid they can't slot into a settled position a deal breaker? I suspect not.

Turn Off Ads?