Turn Off Ads?

Thread: AFL Hitters Vs. League Average

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AFL Hitters Vs. League Average

Here is where the Reds players ranked.
    Code:
    # PLAYER           TM POS  G    AB  H   2B   3B HR  BB  SO  SB  CS   E  AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS   OPS+ 
    51 Turner, Justin CIN 2B   23   89  30   7   0   1   4  18   3   1   1  .337  .362   .449   .811    94
    59 Valaika, Chris CIN SS   32  119  37   7   1   2   8  26   0   0   4  .311  .346   .437   .783    87
    81 Stubbs, Drew   CIN OF   22   85  17   6   1   1  11  29   6   1   0  .200  .306   .329   .636    53

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1810

Re: AFL Hitters Vs. League Average

Don't forget Sean Henry at #48 with a 97 OPS+.

Also, for those of you following along at home, there were 97 players ranked in total.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I see they have Gordon Beckham listed as a 2B, so that is kinda telling. I wonder why Beckham and Smoak were both in the AFL and Alonso in the HL.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I see they have Gordon Beckham listed as a 2B, so that is kinda telling. I wonder why Beckham and Smoak were both in the AFL and Alonso in the HL.
    MLB has him listed as a SS in that league, though he might have played slightly more 2B in the AFL since he had to share time at SS with Tyler Greene and Ian Desmond.

Supposedly the ChiSox will be stationing him at SS at the start of next season.

What's more telling is the guy continues to obliterate the baseball everywhere he plays and that will be appreciated whether he's at SS, 2B or 3B.

P.S. - None of this is a knock on Yonder Alonso. I'm just noting that Beckham's been awfully impressive so far.

P.P.S. - Don't know why Alonso was in the HWB instead. Might not have qualified for the AFL or the Reds might have wanted to challenge him in a pitcher's league. Or maybe he's just lucky. Given a choice between Hawaii and Arizona, I'm picking Hawaii every time (no knock against Arizona, but c'mon we're talking Hawaii here).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Supposedly the ChiSox will be stationing him at SS at the start of next season.

What's more telling is the guy continues to obliterate the baseball everywhere he plays and that will be appreciated whether he's at SS, 2B or 3B.
    And still, some scouts were left fairly unimpressed with Beckham offensively and defensively in the AFL. I wonder how much a difference it would have made had some of them seen him at a different time. The first few weeks in the AFL Beckham was hitting like crap, the last few weeks he hit like Albert Pujols. I still don't think he sticks at SS, but his bat is quite impressive in the numbers he puts up.... still not a fan of his swing though, but if it works for him then it works.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And still, some scouts were left fairly unimpressed with Beckham offensively and defensively in the AFL.
    We'll get some consensus on how impressed the scouts were or weren't when the BA top prospects list for the AFL comes out. I suspect he's going to rank near the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Don't forget Sean Henry at #48 with a 97 OPS+.

Also, for those of you following along at home, there were 97 players ranked in total.
    I missed Sean. Here is his numbers.

Code:
    # 	PLAYER 	TM 	POS 	G 	AB 	H 	2B 	3B 	HR 	BB 	SO 	SB 	CS 	E 	AVG 	OBP 	SLG 	OPS 	OPS+
    48 	Henry	CIN 	OF 	15 	49 	16 	2 	0 	1 	5 	7 	8 	1 	1 	.327 	.389 	.429 	.817 	97

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

So to say that Stubbs struggled would be an understatement then??

Tyler Flowers was just ridiculous even for a hitters league.

Justin Turner's nickname is Red.

Prepare yourselves.

Turn Off Ads?