Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Findlay Market Photo book released

Findlay Market Photo book released

I thought I'd pass this along to folks here on Redszone. A friend of mine, Don Nesbitt, recently had a book published of a series of photographs he took of Findlay Market. The first group, in black & white, were taken in 1966 but not shown until the library did an exhibit of them in 2004. Then in this year, Don went back and took another series of photos of the market today. They have been compiled into a book published by Edgecliff Press and Don will be doing signings at Findlay Market on each of the Saturdays before Christmas and also the two Sundays before the holiday.

For the baseball fan, of course, Findlay Market is known as the sponsor of the Opening Day parade (there are no photos of the parade though). Also, Don pitched for UC in the early 1950's. As a senior, he was the roommate of freshman Sandy Koufax when they went on their southern road trip that season. After finishing at UC, Don signed a contract with the Reds and pitched in the minors for them for a couple of years. He did a stint in the army in Germany and when he returned, his arm was shot from pitching in the cold weather over there. A friend and I spent one evening having some beers perusing the scrapbook Don's mother put together of his playing days, a very fascinating read indeed. His final baseball moment was pitching after his minor league years for the Glendale team which won the national amateur championship in 1958. A bat signed by the team is in the Hall of Fame.

Here's a link to the publisher's site and it gives you the capability of looking at the pages of the book (takes a few minutes to load). I checked a couple of local bookstore's websites and they have it in stock too. It's a fascinating study of a great Cincinnati landmark.

http://www.edgecliffpress.com/findlay.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Findlay Market Photo book released

Thanks for sharing. Findlay Market is such a unique gem for the city of Cincinnati. I really miss going there on sunny Saturday mornings...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

It's not quite Reading Terminal Market, but I agree it's a gem. Too bad the neighborhood can't seem to make any progress. When I rode the bus from Westwood to downtown everyday, I used to see the same guy every morning at the corner of Race and Elder dealing crack.

He didn't even have to bother to move around to keep from getting caught.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It's not quite Reading Terminal Market, but I agree it's a gem. Too bad the neighborhood can't seem to make any progress. When I rode the bus from Westwood to downtown everyday, I used to see the same guy every morning at the corner of Race and Elder dealing crack.

He didn't even have to bother to move around to keep from getting caught.
    Sundeck, have you been down there in a while? They have poured a lot of money into Over-the-Rhine, especially the area known as the Gateway Quarter. Of course it still has a long way to go and there are certainly still crack dealers but the neighborhood has so much potential and I think it's headed in the right direction...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Sundeck, have you been down there in a while? They have poured a lot of money into Over-the-Rhine, especially the area known as the Gateway Quarter. Of course it still has a long way to go and there are certainly still crack dealers but the neighborhood has so much potential and I think it's headed in the right direction...
    That'd be great and I hope it happens. I worked downtown, then in the West End and attended St. Francis church at Liberty/Vine, but moved in 2001. I will say that my own experience with community development in OTR and the West End does not leave me very optimistic. Hopeful, always. But not optimistic.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?