Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who has the brightest future as a major league 3B?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Edwin Encarnacion

28 26.92%
  • Juan Francisco

12 11.54%
  • Todd Frazier

30 28.85%
  • Neftali Soto

34 32.69%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's got the best major league future at 3B?

Who's got the best major league future at 3B?

A conversation in another thread inspired this one. For the purposes of this poll, let's assume we're talking strictly about their future at 3B. I've included Edwin Encarnacion as the control element.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who's got the best major league future at 3B?

Good topic.

I'll go with Neftali Soto - I like all four guys on this list but Soto really stands out to me. Call me crazy, but I think he's got a chance to develop into a Miguel Cabrera type of hitter. Like most young hitting prospects, Soto needs to work on his discipline but his power potential and hitting skills are top notch. I really think Soto is going to develop into something special.

Like I said though, I like all four guys listed but Soto's potential sticks out the most to me.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Went with Soto. The potential for his bat just isn't matched by anyone else listed. Defensively, only Francisco stands out and thats only because of his arm and not because of his glove/range.

EE for me. defensively, He'll benefit from any solid defender at SS, 2007 was proof enough for me on that. Offensively, he had three brilliant months in 2008. I see him progressing at the plate, and 2009 could be his breakthrough year. At a comparable age to the other three, EE was already a major leaguer.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I went with Francisco. The ball just jumps off this kids bat. He could be the Reds next 40 homer guy now that Dunn's gone.

Loser wins a catcher's mitt

That's the $64,000 question. At this point, though, I don't think any answer is worth a nickel. You could make a compelling case for each, as I'm sure somebody will.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a consensus, though. I doubt there will be.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Went with Soto. The potential for his bat just isn't matched by anyone else listed. Defensively, only Francisco stands out and thats only because of his arm and not because of his glove/range.
    I hope Soto does, but too me it's too soon to say for sure. Frazier might be a tad too soon for sure as well but he's closer IMO. I don't know if either is a gaurantee there range wise but I like Frazier's range just a tad better. Granted range isn't as big a deal at 3rd but it helps.

Francisco too me doesn't yet rate until he proves he can be more disciplined at the plate and isn't likely to rate at 3B anyway due to his growing lack of range.

Edwin well he has only 1 problem to figure out defensively and probably only 1 more season left to figure it out, his odds are getting pretty slim at this point, although I haven't yet given up on him completely. He is thee most ideal solution assuming he figures it out.

I voted Frazier.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

This is an interesting question. I'm going with Frazier though.

I assume we're talking defense here.

Edwin.

I still think the guy will develop into a dependable defender, and none of the other three has established he can play a major league 3B. The best minor league accolade has gone to Francisco (best defensive 3B in the FSL, per BA), so he's the runner up.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I assume we're talking defense here.
    No, I'm talking about all-around player. Obviously the guy has to be able to play enough defense to stick at 3B, so if you don't think a guy can do that, then he doesn't have much of a future at the position, but for the purposes of this poll pretend all four got moved around to different teams, which one would you want to keep as your 3B?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I've been on the Edwin bandwagon for a few years now but I think I would take Frazier. I still like Edwin but every time I say he could be dependable at 3rd he throws the ball into the dugout. He's starting to make me look worse than Chris Sabo with a broken bat.

I voted Soto. Frazier is very close but he can also go to left field and already plays it. Francisco has Mike Schmidt ceiling but Willie Mo floor. EE, frankly I'm losing patience with but I don't really think he's terrible but these younger guys have the allure of their ceiling yet while we're seeing more and more where EE is likely to be, which imo is a decent but not great player.

Francisco is high-rish, high reward. But I remember well Samone Peters. Pass.
    EdE, only 25? True. That 800+ OPS is likely for a decade. But the glove is brutal. Pass.
    Frazier plays SS in my dream world, though he could also be Jeff Kent, Part Deaux. Pass. For now.
    Soto has highest ceiling and best numbers, but is farthest away. Still, that bat. That athleticism. That power.

Give me Soto.

No, I'm talking about all-around player. Obviously the guy has to be able to play enough defense to stick at 3B, so if you don't think a guy can do that, then he doesn't have much of a future at the position, but for the purposes of this poll pretend all four got moved around to different teams, which one would you want to keep as your 3B?
    Both Francisco and Soto have higher ceilings than Frazier, I think. Frazier's the safest pick, probably, since we know he's got a solid approach at the plate and solid character. But since I like guys with high ceilings, I'd weather Frazier's departure better than either of the others....

But, one player and one only, eh?

At this point in time, I think Frazier is the pick, simply because he's the safest. Still, I would play him in LF and Francisco at 3B in AA, since playing them at those positions sets neither back defensively (they both have experience at those spots). The essential challenge before each is to prove the bat at AA -- if one shoots convincingly ahead of the other during the season, so be it. He gets 3B at Louisville.

Much as you want a reckoning on Frazier's position in 09, I think it's too soon. The guy still has to prove the bat -- as the Hawaiian League prospect report today showed, there are still doubts about how well his hitting mechanics will hold up. It's possible he'll need the defensive versatility the organization is building in him in order to have a long major career.

Fortunately, the organization doesn't have to make this kind of judgment yet.

Turn Off Ads?