Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who has the brightest future as a major league 3B?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Edwin Encarnacion

28 26.92%
  • Juan Francisco

12 11.54%
  • Todd Frazier

30 28.85%
  • Neftali Soto

34 32.69%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's got the best major league future at 3B?

Re: Who's got the best major league future at 3B?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Edwin because 95% of his problems are mental and since he is maturing I believe he can fix those. I also do not see him as a black hole at 3B as some people make him out to be. He has the athletic ability to make the plays and with more practice he will.
    One of the reasons I included Edwin is any one of the kids will have to do pretty well to better what he's done so far in his career and he's only 25.

I'm frustrated with Encarnacion because he hasn't progressed the past two years, but you're right that he's still young enough to correct some of his bigger flaws and be a very good player. Chris Sabo hadn't even touched the majors at Edwin's age.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Juan Francisco. It is a risky pick, but I think his defense at third and his power make him the best choice.

Give me the guy who has actually produced at the big league level.

I still have faith in Edwin.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I see Francisco and Frazier as outfielders, personally. I gave the nod to Soto over Encarnacion based on what he's accomplished at his age and level.

I gotta go with Frazier. His intangibles/leadership qualities are the trumping factors for me. Some guys have "it" and some guys don't. In my opinion, Frazier has "it".

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I gotta go with Frazier. His intangibles/leadership qualities are the trumping factors for me. Some guys have "it" and some guys don't. In my opinion, Frazier has "it".
    Well I have to ask, what leads you to believe that Soto or Francisco don't have "it"?

The more I actually think about this question, the more obvious the answer becomes to me that the Reds don't have to make that choice right now. Barring an overpowering showing in ST, I would begin the 2009 season with the following:

Neftali Soto at SS, Juan Francisco 3B in High A (Brandon Waring at 1B or DH)
    Todd Frazier 3B in AA

While all three have already showed success at those levels, they all can show some improvement in order to facilitate early season promotions. For instance, Soto only played 52 games in Dayton. Francisco played a full season in Sarasota but needs to improve his plate discipline as he OPSed only 800. Frazier has yet to see AA, but he is certainly ready, and should be in Louisville by June. In fact, assuming no major setbacks, I'd like to see the following by June:

Soto 3B in High A
    Francisco 3B in AA
    Frazier 3B in AAA

Similarly, I'd start Yonder Alonso at 1B in Carolina with the expectation that he will also be in Louisville by Summer. Again, assuming no hiccups, that should leave the Reds with some decisions to make come next offseason, given that both Alonso and Frazier should be ready to takeover full-time roles by Opening Day 2010.

Who plays 1B? My guess would be Alonso.
    Who plays 3B? Either Frazier or Encarnacion. The loser of that battle or Joey Votto gets LF, with the other man in the equation being traded (at this point, my guess would be Encarnacion.)

Regardless, that is a ways off, and a lot could happen between now and then. The point of my post is that the Reds could easily play all four guys (Soto, Francisco, Frazier and EdE) at 3B for the entire 2009 season, and then make a more educated decision on who should man the position with the big club going forward.
    Go BLUE!!!

Francisco played a full season in Sarasota but needs to improve his plate discipline as he OPSed only 800.
    Leaving him in high A isn't gonna help Francisco's plate discipline any. Struggling a little in AA will help him develop his plate discipline way more than mashing in Sarasota.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The more I actually think about this question, the more obvious the answer becomes to me that the Reds don't have to make that choice right now. Barring an overpowering showing in ST, I would begin the 2009 season with the following:

Neftali Soto at SS, Juan Francisco 3B in High A (Brandon Waring at 1B or DH)
    Todd Frazier 3B in AA

While all three have already showed success at those levels, they all can show some improvement in order to facilitate early season promotions. For instance, Soto only played 52 games in Dayton. Francisco played a full season in Sarasota but needs to improve his plate discipline as he OPSed only 800. Frazier has yet to see AA, but he is certainly ready, and should be in Louisville by June. In fact, assuming no major setbacks, I'd like to see the following by June:

Soto 3B in High A
    Francisco 3B in AA
    Frazier 3B in AAA

Similarly, I'd start Yonder Alonso at 1B in Carolina with the expectation that he will also be in Louisville by Summer. Again, assuming no hiccups, that should leave the Reds with some decisions to make come next offseason, given that both Alonso and Frazier should be ready to takeover full-time roles by Opening Day 2010.

Who plays 1B? My guess would be Alonso.
    Who plays 3B? Either Frazier or Encarnacion. The loser of that battle or Joey Votto gets LF, with the other man in the equation being traded (at this point, my guess would be Encarnacion.)

Regardless, that is a ways off, and a lot could happen between now and then. The point of my post is that the Reds could easily play all four guys (Soto, Francisco, Frazier and EdE) at 3B for the entire 2009 season, and then make a more educated decision on who should man the position with the big club going forward.
    I'd have an IF of Frazier SS, Alonzo 1B and Francisco 3B at AA. Two have earned it, and one may be just that talented. I wouldn't move Frazier off SS until he proves he can't play there.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Benihana, nice plan.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Benihana mentioned Waring, and he's the forgotten man in all this. To me, he's sort of Francisco-lite. Although he hasn't played in Sarasota, he has more HR/AB than either Francisco or Frazier. And he walks more than Francisco. And (from what I've read) he's likely the best fielding 3B of the bunch. I have him in my top 25 organizational prospects. He may not be quite in the league of the other four, but he probably ought to at least be in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Leaving him in high A isn't gonna help Francisco's plate discipline any. Struggling a little in AA will help him develop his plate discipline way more than mashing in Sarasota.
    You might be right, but unless you want to DH him so he can get some ABs in Carolina, I would keep him in Sarasota until Frazier is ready to move up to Louisville. Who knows? That could be Memorial Day or even earlier, especially if he mashes in ST like he did in Hawaii.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Benihana mentioned Waring, and he's the forgotten man in all this. To me, he's sort of Francisco-lite. Although he hasn't played in Sarasota, he has more HR/AB than either Francisco or Frazier. And he walks more than Francisco. And (from what I've read) he's likely the best fielding 3B of the bunch. I have him in my top 25 organizational prospects. He may not be quite in the league of the other four, but he probably ought to at least be in the discussion.
    Even if he is the best fielding 3B of the bunch, the fact remains from an all-around standpoint that he's #5 on the 3B organizational depth chart at best. That is reason enough to move him off the position (despite his glove) if he's ever going to have a chance to make an impact in the bigs. Otherwise, he'd be a top candidate to go in a trade package.
    Go BLUE!!!

IIRC, Terry Reynolds has already said Francisco will most likely start 2009 at Double-A.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?