Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Brown on Lewis

Mike Brown on Lewis

Mike Brown has finally spoken on Lewis and this and I am just speechless at the level of his stupidity.

Basically Lewis is doing a good job, no need for a GM and he pretty much puts this year on Carson's injury and says the Bengals will turn it around when Carson gets back.

From Bengals.com

With his team mired at 1-10-1, Bengals president Mike Brown broke his usual silence Monday by choosing not to give head coach Marvin Lewis and his staff a vote of confidence and instead indicated he is pleased with their effort and teaching.

Speaking with Bengals.com and The Cincinnati Enquirer, Brown said he feared that commenting either way on the subject would undercut Lewis. But he said he was pleased with Lewis' post-game statement Sunday that fans won't be subject to a season this bad next year.

"I thought that was a good statement," Brown said. "No one down here is happy with what has happened and we all want to correct it badly. That was an indication he plans on correcting it."

Lewis has two years left on his deal and despite the record Brown said, "In many ways he's done an incredibly good job. Our players still try hard and that's hard to come by when you go through all the losing this team has gone through."

As for other issues, Brown also said:

_There are "good," signs that quarterback Carson Palmer won't have to have elbow surgery and he expects the Bengals "will rebound," when he comes back.

_He expects wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco to fulfill his Bengals contract.

_He revealed that safety Marvin White is the 21st Bengal to go on season-ending injured reserve after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in his knee Sunday. He was extremely impressed that White played more than a half with the injury.

"I've never seen a player do that in all the time I've witnessed football. I take my hat off to him for being brave enough to do that. It (says alot) about the coaches, too, that a player would want to do that."

Brown also said they are trying to find out why they have been hit by the injury bug the past two seasons.

_He indicated he has no plans to hire a general manager.

"The answer to the general manager problem is the same answer that we have to have for all these criticisms. We have to win. When we manage to do that, we won't hear so much about that kind of talk."

In his first comments since Brown re-signed wide receiver Chris Henry despite Lewis' disagreement, Marvin and I've had a good relationship. We've had an ability to stay on the same message. Except for that one case...In mind it's behind us now.

"If you've got further concerns on that kind of thing," said Brown in alluding to Plaxico Burress, "you'll have to call the New York Giants who have an 11-1 record and their guy, who has taken the role over of NFL bad guy."

Brown also reflected on the disciplining of Ocho Cinco last week by Lewis. He says Lewis has that authority and that he sent The Ocho home from Pittsburgh without talking to Brown.

"It was the right thing to do," Brown said. "(Discipline) has been his call and it is his call and he has done it."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

"The answer to the general manager problem is the same answer that we have to have for all these criticisms. We have to win. When we manage to do that, we won't hear so much about that kind of talk."
    Yeah...um...you've done that once in 20 years Bozo. It would take an act of God to remove his head from his butt.

I'd laugh, but as a Browns fan it really aint that funny. Maybe we could combine the two Ohio teams and get an average franchise?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

There honestly should be some kind of "best interest of the fans" clause the commissioner should invoke for teams like Bengals and Raiders, to impose a management team.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Enquirer version....similar, but with Q and A

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...10050/1062/SPT

Brown: A 'massive disappointment'

By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • December 1, 2008

Bengals president Mike Brown is presiding over a 1-10-1 season that has fans in an uproar over the team’s poor performance on the field.

This afternoon, Brown sat for an interview with the Enquirer and the team's official Web site.

Brown terms the season a “massive disappointment. We feel it. We’re unhappy down here. … We’re in the morass and just have to work through it.”

Question: What is Marvin Lewis’ status as head coach?

Answer: “I am not going to give one of those endorsements. They (Lewis and his coaching staff) are the same people who have been here for years now. They coach the same. They are teachers. They do their jobs.”

Q: Where have things gone wrong this season?

A: “It is hard to have success in this league without your key players. We’re playing with literally less than half of the people we thought would be our starters. … We lost Carson Palmer, who is our linchpin player. We lost our best defensive player before the season started, (linebacker) Odell Thurman.

"The linebacker corps we thought that we would be playing with was (Keith) Rivers, Thurman and (David) Pollack. They are all gone, two for good.

“When you have that kind of erosion on your football team, it is hard to be successful. We have not managed to overcome it.”

Q: Will Marvin Lewis have the chance to overcome this season?

A: “You cannot answer that question without undercutting someone. I am not going down that path. I think in many ways he has done an incredibly good job. Our players still try hard. He has them out there trying to the best of their ability.”

Q: Is this season worse than 2002, when you finished 2-14 and made major changes? Does this season require as much change to fix?

A: “I don’t want to compare disappointments. This one is felt keenly. … I am pleased with the effort. I am pleased with our coaches’ effort.”

Q: You have had 20 players go on injured reserve this season. Is there a problem somewhere in the organization that you have so many season-ending injuries?

A: “Twenty-one. (Safety Marvin) White will go on injured reserve today. He tore his ACL yesterday (against the Ravens) and still played more than half of the game. … (The injuries), I wish I had an explanation for it. We have led the league in injured reserve players the past couple of years. It is a problem. We are looking for a solution.”

Q: Did Marvin Lewis make the sole decision on Chad Ocho Cinco in Pittsburgh when he disciplined him?

A: “(Lewis) sent Chad home without talking to me. When he did, I backed up his decision. (Discipline of players) has been all his and it is all his.”

Q: What has to happen to turn the team around?

A: “I think things would take a quantum leap forward if we had Carson Palmer back on the field and playing the way he can play.”

Q: Are you going to essentially fire yourself and hire a general manager?

A: “I call them themes. They (fans and customers) like to talk about different themes when things don’t go well. Part of being in this job, the good side of the coin is it shows the emotional connection the fans have with this football team.”

Why do they always treat this guy with kid gloves. We know he won't hire a GM. The question should be why won't you hire a Gm given your poor record.

Another question should be can you think of a franchise that has struggled more than this one since 1992?

Given this futility can you understand fans giving up and turning in their season tickets?

Do think any coaches or front office personnel should be held accountable for this team's record?

It's hard to put in words how much I hate that man. He's pure evil in my eyes.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I hate Mike Brown. I really do.

"In many ways he's done an incredibly good job. Our players still try hard and that's hard to come by when you go through all the losing this team has gone through
    This "interview" was so sad, I don't know where to start, but I thought this quote was worth highlighting. Isn't the "try hard" crap usually reserved for little league/Pop Warner teams? Or maybe the "old college try"?

"Incredibly good?" At 1-10-1? What would he think if the team had won, gasp, 3 of 12 games? Awesome?

Seriously - "incredibly good job?" Is there anything more asinine than that?

This whole discussion by Mike wants me to be speechless, and to not believe it, but I do, sadly, believe he means what he says.

It's just sheer patheticness wrapped in absurdity surrounded by ridiculousness.

Just putrid. Shameful. A disgrace.

Same old Bungles, now and forever.

Uggh.

I imagine he either declined to answer those questions or made it clear that there would be no interview if he was to be grilled. He generally only speaks publicly once per year, but to get him to pop his bald little head out of his shell for this was an accomplishment in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why do they always treat this guy with kid gloves. We know he won't hire a GM. The question should be why won't you hire a Gm given your poor record.

Another question should be can you think of a franchise that has struggled more than this one since 1992?

Given this futility can you understand fans giving up and turning in their season tickets?

Do think any coaches or front office personnel should be held accountable for this team's record?

I remember being at games and seeing people ejected from the stadium for the anti-Mike Brown antics/demonstrations ... droves of people wearing paper bags to the games ...

maybe we'll get back to that next season.
    Last edited by WMR; 12-01-2008 at 09:33 PM.

I'd seriously consider switching my allegiance if I were a fan of a mess like this, this guy doesn't care, he probably likes the losing better because it's status quo.

Lewis should quit and write a tell all
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'd seriously consider switching my allegiance if I were a fan of a mess like this, this guy doesn't care, he probably likes the losing better because it's status quo.

Lewis should quit and write a tell all
    LOL, I'm sure Chad and Drew Rosenhaus already have one ready and waiting for whenever Chad leaves Cincinnati/retires.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Ugh, I'm just about done. I have resolved this year not to be emotionally attached to sports as much, but this season has really tested me in that department.
    Witty signature.

As long as the Bengals are sold out every week, there's no incentive for Mike Brown to change his ways.

The only way to get through to him is by cutting off his income supply. So instead of showing up to PBS wearing a paper bag over your head, you should go as a green empty seat.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    As long as the Bengals are sold out every week, there's no incentive for Mike Brown to change his ways.

The only way to get through to him is by cutting off his income supply. So instead of showing up to PBS wearing a paper bag over your head, you should go as a green empty seat.
    I'd say as long as he or his family have no plans to sell the franchise, he has no incentive to improve. But even then, I think arguments could be made that he'd be much better off financially with a consistent winner.

The brand value of the Bengals isn't near what other similar revenue teams are. And that would show up in a valuation of the franchise. So while unrealized, I think his management of the team is hurting the value of the franchise.

Plus, if you look at some of the other similar markets, they've built up such equity that they're able to charge more for tickets, luxury boxes, etc... Green Bay has waiting lists that take decades to get through to get season tickets. I could walk up tomorrow and have no problem getting them for the Bengals. If they had a consistent winner, he could up the ticket prices and never lose attendance.

So any moron can make money in the NFL, but Mike Brown is pretty much minimizing the amount his franchise is making. Contrary to popular belief, Mike Brown is NOT a good business man. He's never accomplished anything in his life. Everything has been handed to him by virtue of the sperm and egg he was created from. He's a guy who woke up on third base and has no idea that he didn't hit a triple. Like Redhook, I have genuine contempt for Mike Brown. He's the only person in all of sports (with the exception of guys like Bret Meyers who hit their wife) that I have genuine contempt for. I have no respect for the man at all.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?