Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Mike Brown on Lewis

  1. #16
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,467

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why do they always treat this guy with kid gloves. We know he won't hire a GM. The question should be why won't you hire a Gm given your poor record.
    Yep, absolutely. Mark Curnutte is one of the worst sports journalists in Cincinnati, which is really saying something. I will cut him a break in that I'm sure being a Cincinnati Bengals beat writer isn't the greatest job on earth, but he's still terrible.

    And Hobson is employed by the team, so it's not like you can expect much from him.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Q: Where have things gone wrong this season?

    A: “It is hard to have success in this league without your key players. We’re playing with literally less than half of the people we thought would be our starters. … We lost Carson Palmer, who is our linchpin player. We lost our best defensive player before the season started, (linebacker) Odell Thurman.

    "The linebacker corps we thought that we would be playing with was (Keith) Rivers, Thurman and (David) Pollack. They are all gone, two for good.

    “When you have that kind of erosion on your football team, it is hard to be successful. We have not managed to overcome it.”

    Is this guy serious? He really was counting on Odell Thurman and David Pollack this year? Those guys haven't played in three friggin years and he considers them the best defensive players on the team? It's almost got to the point where it's downright unethical what he's doing...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

  4. #18
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,510

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    I don't know the answer to this....I wonder if Mike gets to look at the questions before he conducts one of his rare interviews, and decide which ones he's willing to answer...and beat writers will go along with it because they have to have a working relationship with him as part of their job.

    There's a reason he'd never come on a talk show, or agree to an interview with Paul Daugherty, or any other non-beat writer.

  5. #19
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,567

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I don't know the answer to this....I wonder if Mike gets to look at the questions before he conducts one of his rare interviews, and decide which ones he's willing to answer...and beat writers will go along with it because they have to have a working relationship with him as part of their job.

    There's a reason he'd never come on a talk show, or agree to an interview with Paul Daugherty, or any other non-beat writer.
    I don't know if you're old enough to remember but awhile back, in the 90s, he came on WLW with Cris Collinsworth from 6-7pm. It was the biggest farce I've ever seen in local news. Cris starts off the hour talking about some memory he had joking around with MB on a team flight and the softball banter between the two of them went on for about 53 minutes. He then opened it up for calls and allowed maybe one or two very carefully screened calls from fans just to say he took calls. To this day I don't know why Cris did that for MB and it really knocked him down in my eyes as a broadcaster. Maybe your connections at WLW would know the inside story on that one. There's got to be a lot behind the scenes that went into that whole interview.

  6. #20
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,546

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Today on the Bengals website some more detail about why Brown won't hire a GM.

    Brown continues to indicate he has confidence in his personnel department to find players and that he has no plans to hire a general manager.

    He cited a team analysis done before the 2008 draft that showed from 2003 the 43 players the Bengals had drafted had played a total of 1,104 NFL games and started 525, ranking the Bengals 11th and 12th, respectively in the league in those categories.

    When Brown spoke about the personnel issue back in January, he said the Bengals were higher than that in percentage of players still with the team (fifth with 67.4), percentage of players still in the NFL (fifth at 81.4 percent) and percentage of players no longer in the NFL (fifth at 18.6).
    So in his twisted logic because they keep more of their players with the team we don't need a GM. Who cares how many players stay with the team when they consistently lose. Maybe they keep more players because no one else would want most of this team. It is just amazing what this guy comes up with to keep from doing the basics to try to compete.

  7. #21
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,874

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Today on the Bengals website some more detail about why Brown won't hire a GM.



    So in his twisted logic because they keep more of their players with the team we don't need a GM. Who cares how many players stay with the team when they consistently lose. Maybe they keep more players because no one else would want most of this team. It is just amazing what this guy comes up with to keep from doing the basics to try to compete.
    That is truly appalling. God bless you Bengals fans - I don't know how you do it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  8. #22
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,510

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    That is truly appalling. God bless you Bengals fans - I don't know how you do it.
    A lot of alcohol.

  9. #23
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,438

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    I think Mike Brown considered 'average' to be successful. In a league where the most important thing is a championship, Brown shoots to be not bad.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,621

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think Mike Brown considered 'average' to be successful. In a league where the most important thing is a championship, Brown shoots to be not bad.
    And profitable beyond belief.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  11. #25
    Baseball card addict MrCinatit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Piqua
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think Mike Brown considered 'average' to be successful. In a league where the most important thing is a championship, Brown shoots to be not bad.
    That is what jumped out to me. We have a guy who does not want to be the best in his field...he sounds to be quite ecstatic to be in the middle of the pack.
    And, that is to assume those players had the talent to play with other teams.

  12. #26
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,467

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    That is what jumped out to me. We have a guy who does not want to be the best in his field...he sounds to be quite ecstatic to be in the middle of the pack.
    He's always been that way too. This "competitive" nonsense goes way back into the early 90's. To my knowledge he's never said anything about wanting to win in the past two decades, it is always about being merely competitive. He has zero desire to consistently be in the playoffs.

    It sounds like hyperbole, but Mike Brown's dream season really is 8-8. Good enough to keep people interested, not enough to make the playoffs. This is because NFL teams lose money when they make the playoffs:

    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ffs.html?cat=3

    The NFL keeps all ticket revenue during the playoffs, but home teams can keep money made off other stadium related sales, merchandise, concessions etc. etc. The NFL pays division winning teams a flat fee of $580,000 and other teams $500,000 in the first round. In the second round, each team gets $580,000 and in the championship round $960,000. The Super Bowl winner receives $3.5 million and runner up $2.59 million. That is usually not enough to cover team expenses. John Jones, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of the Green Bay Packers said, “Expenses usually exceed whatever you get from the league.” Other reasons for teams losing money in the playoffs include paying bonuses to staff and players for successful playoff runs, moving equipment to the games (obviously, home teams do not have to worry about this), and hosting VIPS and sponsors.
    I'll bet that home playoff game in 2005 really irritated him.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Thanks for that blurb on the way the NFL pays teams in the playoffs Redsfaithful. That's something that I didn't know. On the surface of it that would seem to pretty unusual and, since teams sometimes have to pay players and staff bonuses for making the playoffs I can see where someone like Mike Brown would be happy to say, "missed it by that much!" as Maxwell Smart used to say.

    Rem

  14. #28
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,261

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Thanks for that blurb on the way the NFL pays teams in the playoffs Redsfaithful. That's something that I didn't know. On the surface of it that would seem to pretty unusual and, since teams sometimes have to pay players and staff bonuses for making the playoffs I can see where someone like Mike Brown would be happy to say, "missed it by that much!" as Maxwell Smart used to say.

    Rem
    What I think MB fails to understand is that teams are more than just a group of guys who play football games at a particular location. Each team is a brand. Success on the field equates to more than just wins and losses and league bonuses. It's merchandise sales and higher ad revenues and global marketing. Teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, Redskins, et. al. understand that. Winning not only brings you a trophy. It brings worldwide recognition of your team. When the Bengals last made the Super Bowl, they had puff pieces in the news about people in Japan going crazy for Bengals merchandise (they thought the tiger stripes were cool). MB is stuck in the era when teams made their money sellling tickets to games and ads on the radio and got little else beyond the shared TV revenues. I can only hope that the next generation of Bengals owners is able to think beyond the confines of PBS and will do what it takes to put a playoff-caliber team on the field.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  15. #29
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    What I think MB fails to understand is that teams are more than just a group of guys who play football games at a particular location. Each team is a brand. Success on the field equates to more than just wins and losses and league bonuses. It's merchandise sales and higher ad revenues and global marketing. Teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, Redskins, et. al. understand that. Winning not only brings you a trophy. It brings worldwide recognition of your team. When the Bengals last made the Super Bowl, they had puff pieces in the news about people in Japan going crazy for Bengals merchandise (they thought the tiger stripes were cool). MB is stuck in the era when teams made their money sellling tickets to games and ads on the radio and got little else beyond the shared TV revenues. I can only hope that the next generation of Bengals owners is able to think beyond the confines of PBS and will do what it takes to put a playoff-caliber team on the field.

    He WILL die, someday ... ... RIGHT?

    We're sure that he's human, right?

    I wonder if his daughter has been fully indoctrinated into his cult of stupidity? That's the real question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  16. #30
    Baseball card addict MrCinatit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Piqua
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: Mike Brown on Lewis

    I am still in denial that the greatest mind in the history of professional football (and perhaps sports) was somehow responsible for giving birth to Mike Brown.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25