Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,359

    Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    This article from the Dallas Morning News mentions that the Reds and Rangers might have had talks in the past about a Bailey for Laird deal that possibly could happen next week at the Winter Meetings.

    Texas Rangers' GM probably won't wheel and deal


    02:49 AM CST on Wednesday, December 3, 2008



    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.3774f8a.html

    E-mail

    Next week could be extremely dangerous for the Rangers' front office. Hole them up at The Bellagio for four days with nobody to talk to, and it could end up being an ugly sight at the craps table.

    I can just see Jon Daniels right now, blowing on the dice, yelling: "C'mon eight, baby needs a new pair of shoes!"

    While we expect Daniels and his staff to work the floor of the winter meetings with extreme vigor, we also think the team's relative lack of available funds to spend on free agents and the plan to basically hold on to talent is going to make for a rather uneventful week.

    That's why we are here. We have some suggestions to keep Daniels away from the dice. Here are five guys worth talking to:

    1. Theo Epstein, GM Boston: There is the foundation for a deal of a Rangers catcher for a Red Sox pitcher. The Rangers need more young pitching talent, and the Red Sox need a catcher of the future. Both clubs have depth at the other's need. That's the most significant hurdle toward getting a deal done.

    The rest is just negotiation. The Red Sox don't want to give up Clay Buchholz, supposedly under any circumstances. The Rangers want Buchholz. I believe if both clubs continue talking, there is a way to reach a fair compromise that helps both teams improve.

    2. Dayton Moore, GM Kansas City: Yes, I've also heard the Royals have no interest in moving right-hander Zack Greinke. But I also know the economy is making everybody think real hard about every big contract. The Royals have multiple holes to fill. The Rangers have lots of farm-talent depth. At one point, there was some thought the teams would be the best possible match if Kansas City was willing to deal. It's worth checking back in with Moore.

    3. Dave Dombrowski, GM Detroit: The Tigers seem to have the most ardent interest in Gerald Laird of any team on the market. The Rangers seem to be in more of a cost-cutting mode. Trading Laird to Detroit for a minor leaguer might save the Rangers almost $3 million. The Rangers probably wouldn't get the top prospect they want (please don't mention Rick Porcello's name), but they could save some money and create more time for Taylor Teagarden and Jarrod Saltalamacchia behind the plate (if they don't trade one of the duo). Not to mention that in order to build a self-sustaining minor league system, you've got to have lots of depth.

    4. Walt Jocketty, GM Cincinnati: The Reds figure to be the other team that might have interest in Laird. The Rangers went back and forth on whether they'd do Laird-for-Homer Bailey last year. Bailey is injured right now, and his value is even lower. But they may not be able to find a pitcher with a higher ceiling in exchange for Laird.

    5. Scott Boras, agent to the stars: No, the Rangers aren't going to get involved in the Mark Teixeira bidding, but finding out where Teixeira is heading could have an impact on how the off-season shapes up. Just about every team involved in the Teixeira chase (Boston, the LA Angels, New York Yankees, Baltimore) has contacted the Rangers about the availability of Hank Blalock. Blalock is a fall-back option for all those clubs in the event they don't sign Teixeira, and he may be one of several fall-back options, but every bit of knowledge the Rangers can have about the best possible deals out there for Blalock can only help. Of course, if they are going to get a lot out of Boras, it would help to have magician Criss Angel or someone like that join the front office. But, it never hurts to ask
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    No, I would not. Teagarden, yes. Andrus, yes. The Rangers have some guys, other than that, I would be interested in. Murphy, Hurley, etc.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  4. #3
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    This article from the Dallas Morning News mentions that the Reds and Rangers might have had talks in the past about a Bailey for Laird deal that possibly could happen next week at the Winter Meetings.

    Texas Rangers' GM probably won't wheel and deal


    02:49 AM CST on Wednesday, December 3, 2008



    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.3774f8a.html

    • E-mail

    Next week could be extremely dangerous for the Rangers' front office. Hole them up at The Bellagio for four days with nobody to talk to, and it could end up being an ugly sight at the craps table.

    I can just see Jon Daniels right now, blowing on the dice, yelling: "C'mon eight, baby needs a new pair of shoes!"

    While we expect Daniels and his staff to work the floor of the winter meetings with extreme vigor, we also think the team's relative lack of available funds to spend on free agents and the plan to basically hold on to talent is going to make for a rather uneventful week.

    That's why we are here. We have some suggestions to keep Daniels away from the dice. Here are five guys worth talking to:

    1. Theo Epstein, GM Boston: There is the foundation for a deal of a Rangers catcher for a Red Sox pitcher. The Rangers need more young pitching talent, and the Red Sox need a catcher of the future. Both clubs have depth at the other's need. That's the most significant hurdle toward getting a deal done.

    The rest is just negotiation. The Red Sox don't want to give up Clay Buchholz, supposedly under any circumstances. The Rangers want Buchholz. I believe if both clubs continue talking, there is a way to reach a fair compromise that helps both teams improve.

    2. Dayton Moore, GM Kansas City: Yes, I've also heard the Royals have no interest in moving right-hander Zack Greinke. But I also know the economy is making everybody think real hard about every big contract. The Royals have multiple holes to fill. The Rangers have lots of farm-talent depth. At one point, there was some thought the teams would be the best possible match – if Kansas City was willing to deal. It's worth checking back in with Moore.

    3. Dave Dombrowski, GM Detroit: The Tigers seem to have the most ardent interest in Gerald Laird of any team on the market. The Rangers seem to be in more of a cost-cutting mode. Trading Laird to Detroit for a minor leaguer might save the Rangers almost $3 million. The Rangers probably wouldn't get the top prospect they want (please don't mention Rick Porcello's name), but they could save some money and create more time for Taylor Teagarden and Jarrod Saltalamacchia behind the plate (if they don't trade one of the duo). Not to mention that in order to build a self-sustaining minor league system, you've got to have lots of depth.

    4. Walt Jocketty, GM Cincinnati: The Reds figure to be the other team that might have interest in Laird. The Rangers went back and forth on whether they'd do Laird-for-Homer Bailey last year. Bailey is injured right now, and his value is even lower. But they may not be able to find a pitcher with a higher ceiling in exchange for Laird.

    5. Scott Boras, agent to the stars: No, the Rangers aren't going to get involved in the Mark Teixeira bidding, but finding out where Teixeira is heading could have an impact on how the off-season shapes up. Just about every team involved in the Teixeira chase (Boston, the LA Angels, New York Yankees, Baltimore) has contacted the Rangers about the availability of Hank Blalock. Blalock is a fall-back option for all those clubs in the event they don't sign Teixeira, and he may be one of several fall-back options, but every bit of knowledge the Rangers can have about the best possible deals out there for Blalock can only help. Of course, if they are going to get a lot out of Boras, it would help to have magician Criss Angel or someone like that join the front office. But, it never hurts to ask
    So the Rangers and not the Reds went back & forth on a Laird for Bailey deal? Laird ain't so good that you have to wonder about trading for a potential high impact arm. Of course these are the same Rangers that dealt Edinson Volquez and Chris Young off when they need pitching possibly worse than anyone in baseball. BTW how exactly is Bailey hurt?

    Again Bailey, Stubbs & Francisco for Andrus and any Catcher they want to send. That gives them a potential TOR arm, a GG CF and a power hitting LH 3B prospect, all of which they could use.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  5. #4
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,093

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    4. Walt Jocketty, GM Cincinnati: The Reds figure to be the other team that might have interest in Laird. The Rangers went back and forth on whether they'd do Laird-for-Homer Bailey last year. Bailey is injured right now, and his value is even lower. But they may not be able to find a pitcher with a higher ceiling in exchange for Laird.
    Did he get hurt in that game DougDirt keeps talking about?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  6. #5
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Did he get hurt in that game DougDirt keeps talking about?
    I'm nobody, but you guys need to let that go.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  7. #6
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    953

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Hell no!! but I do like the other proposal mentioned, and its a win-win for both sides:

    Rangers deal: Elvis Andrus(SS)-20yrs old and Max Ramirez(C)-24yrs old

    Reds Deal: Homer Bailey, Juan Francisco, and Danny Dorn instead of Stubbs.

  8. #7
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,093

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I'm nobody, but you guys need to let that go.
    Actually, I'm serious. That was his last game, right?

    If he didn't get hurt then, when did he get hurt?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  9. #8
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Code:
    #   YEAR NAME            AGE POS PA   EqA  OBP  SLG  VORP  RAR   RAP 
    10. 2008 Gerald Laird     28  c  381 .257 .329 .398  7.1   10.6  1.4 
    12. 2008 J Saltalamacchia 23  c  230 .259 .352 .364  3.2    6.5  0.8 
    11. 2007 Gerald Laird     27  c  448 .216 .278 .349 -7.5   -6.0 -12.7 
    7.  2006 Gerald Laird     26  c  260      .332 .473 12.2
    Here's the past few years on Laird with Salty thrown in last year.

    As much as I've soured on Bailey, I don't think I'd trade him for Laird. Not so much because of giving up Bailey, but for what you'd get in Laird.

    Basically he's a 28/29 year old verson of David Ross at the plate. On a good year.

    I'd toss a couple lower level arms at Texas and see if that get's their attention. Between Laird and Hannigan you'd have a moderatley acceptable to borderline bad tandem behind the plate (asuming they both have good years).

    Wouldn't be my plan 1, but I suppose for a year or two it could work.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  10. #9
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Actually, I'm serious. That was his last game, right?

    If he didn't get hurt then, when did he get hurt?
    I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the "groin" game. I think the writer is in error when he speaks of Bailey being injured. Surely we would have known that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,359

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Of course the Rangers will counter and say Bailey's value is down and look at his numbers last year.

    I can see your point where Laird might be along the likes of a Ross or Bako. But if the Rangers countered with Saltamacchia (sp?) for Bailey, would you do it?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  12. #11
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Of course the Rangers will counter and say Bailey's value is down and look at his numbers last year.

    I can see your point where Laird might be along the likes of a Ross or Bako. But if the Rangers countered with Saltamacchia (sp?) for Bailey, would you do it?
    I know you weren't talking to me, but Salty can't catch, or not at a high level. The Reds have plenty of 1st base types. How about Andrus and Teagarden for Bailey, Roenicke, and fluff. Probably wouldn't get it done though.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,359

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Here is another thought.....if you trade Bailey to Texas for catching, who do you send to the White Sox for Dye? If Bailey goes to the White Sox for Dye, would a Maloney & Roenicke for Laird deal work for both sides?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  14. #13
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Code:
    #   YEAR NAME            AGE POS PA   EqA  OBP  SLG  VORP  RAR   RAP 
    10. 2008 Gerald Laird     28  c  381 .257 .329 .398  7.1   10.6  1.4 
    12. 2008 J Saltalamacchia 23  c  230 .259 .352 .364  3.2    6.5  0.8 
    11. 2007 Gerald Laird     27  c  448 .216 .278 .349 -7.5   -6.0 -12.7 
    7.  2006 Gerald Laird     26  c  260      .332 .473 12.2
    Here's the past few years on Laird with Salty thrown in last year.

    As much as I've soured on Bailey, I don't think I'd trade him for Laird. Not so much because of giving up Bailey, but for what you'd get in Laird.

    Basically he's a 28/29 year old verson of David Ross at the plate. On a good year.

    I'd toss a couple lower level arms at Texas and see if that get's their attention. Between Laird and Hannigan you'd have a moderatley acceptable to borderline bad tandem behind the plate (asuming they both have good years).

    Wouldn't be my plan 1, but I suppose for a year or two it could work.
    What he is Ryan Hanigan with experience and apparently one hell of a PR guy. Ross has way more power than Laird though Laird is probably a tad better contact hitter.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  15. #14
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Hell no!! but I do like the other proposal mentioned, and its a win-win for both sides:

    Rangers deal: Elvis Andrus(SS)-20yrs old and Max Ramirez(C)-24yrs old

    Reds Deal: Homer Bailey, Juan Francisco, and Danny Dorn instead of Stubbs.
    I think Stubbs would have to be in it just because the Rangers are seriously lacking for a CF. I wouldn't expect them to do it but I would offer anyhow.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  16. #15
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Would You Do A Laird For Bailey Deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Here is another thought.....if you trade Bailey to Texas for catching, who do you send to the White Sox for Dye? If Bailey goes to the White Sox for Dye, would a Maloney & Roenicke for Laird deal work for both sides?
    I don't want Dye and that's too much for Laird, I think.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25