Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds hope to move soon on free agents

Reds hope to move soon on free agents

Reds hope to move soon on free agents
    Talks ongoing with free agents Weathers, Lincoln and Hairston

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Winter Meetings are scheduled to begin on Monday in Las Vegas. The Reds are hoping its impending arrival could speed the progress of talks with three of their free agents.

General manager Walt Jocketty said on Wednesday that he is still holding talks with the representatives for relievers David Weathers and Mike Lincoln, and utility player Jerry Hairston Jr. Jocketty spoke with Weathers' agent, Dan Horwits, as recently as Tuesday.

"We're hoping to get something done this week before we get to Vegas," Jocketty said. "I'm not sure that will happen. It'd be helpful to have them in place before Vegas so we know where we stand."

Weathers is a Type B free agent who was offered arbitration on Monday and has yet to accept or decline. If he signs elsewhere, the Reds would get a sandwich Draft pick between the first and second rounds as compensation. Lincoln and Hairston were not Type A or B free agents and were not offered arbitration, but can still re-sign.

The Reds are also continuing their pursuit for left-handed relievers on the free agent market. Jocketty confirmed Monday's MLB.com story that an offer was made to veteran reliever Arthur Rhodes, but would not discuss the details.

"We're still waiting to hear back," Jocketty said. "There is a lot of competition for him."

Jocketty also acknowledged that he has held talks with the agent for lefty reliever Dennys Reyes, who was 3-0 with a 2.33 ERA in 75 appearances for the Twins last season.

There is also interest in left-hander Joe Beimel, but the Reds have yet to contact Beimel's agent. Jocketty said there has been no desire to take another look at Trever Miller after his potential signing with the Cardinals stalled. Type A free agent Darren Oliver is not in the picture anymore because he was offered arbitration by the Angels. It would cost Cincinnati a first-round Draft pick as compensation if it signed Oliver.

Earlier this week, Reds manager Dusty Baker told the Chicago Tribune that he wanted to talk with free agent reliever Kerry Wood about coming to the Reds. Don't expect that to happen, however.

"I think that was more about Dusty wanting to call as a friend, and as Wood's former manager [in Chicago]," Jocketty said. "We already have a closer [Francisco Cordero], and I don't see Wood accepting a different role."

Wood would also be expensive. He is believed to be seeking a three- or four-year contract and an eight-figure annual salary.

The Reds are still pursuing a right-handed bat on the trade market, most likely an outfielder. Moving third baseman Edwin Encarnacion to left field so the search can be expanded beyond outfielders doesn't appear to be an option at the moment.

"We haven't discussed it," Jocketty said. "We wouldn't be opposed to it. He's a good hitter and has a chance to improve. You'd want to keep his bat in the lineup. I still think he can be a good third baseman. Most of his errors are throwing, and it's a matter of improving his mechanics. If Edwin can end up an average defensive player and with his bat, you'd have a great player."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds hope to move soon on free agents

Jocketty sounds like he's very high on EdE. If you remember, back in the summer Jocketty listed Edwin as one of his five untouchable players. I agree with him about Edwin potentially being a great player. I really think his bat is on the verge of breaking out. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing him for a stud arm like Jonathan Sanchez, but I'd really like to keep him around unless I'm knocked down with an offer.

It's nice to see Jocketty targeting good lefties like Beimel, Reyes, and Rhodes. I really didn't want any part of Miller or Oliver.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

"We haven't discussed it," Jocketty said. "We wouldn't be opposed to it. He's a good hitter and has a chance to improve. You'd want to keep his bat in the lineup. I still think he can be a good third baseman. Most of his errors are throwing, and it's a matter of improving his mechanics. If Edwin can end up an average defensive player and with his bat, you'd have a great player."
    That's interesting to me. I've been of the opinion that any attempt to improve this team's defense would start at SS and move quickly to 3B. It sounds like Jocketty is willing to give Encarnacion another year. Maybe he's hoping it either clicks or they can fast-track Frazier for a 2010 call-up?

Personally, I'm not optimistic on Edwin. I actually think he showed some really bad habits developing in his swing last season, and I've seen no reason to believe he's going to improve defensively. I think he's a tease.

Earlier this week, Reds manager Dusty Baker told the Chicago Tribune that he wanted to talk with free agent reliever Kerry Wood about coming to the Reds. Don't expect that to happen, however.

"I think that was more about Dusty falling off his rocker," Jocketty said. "We already have a closer [Francisco Cordero], and I don't see Wood accepting a different role."

fixed that for Walt

It's nice to have a GM that will acknowledge what Free Agents the Reds are talking to. I understand the reason for not discussing all trades due to tampering rules, but Jocketty is much better at communicating with the fans.

It's interesting to hear that the Reds made an offer to Rhodes, but are facing tough competition. It's also interesting to hear the other names the Reds are looking at, as well as Walt's opinion on EdE. Makes the offseason a heck of a lot more interesting.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    That's interesting to me. I've been of the opinion that any attempt to improve this team's defense would start at SS and move quickly to 3B. It sounds like Jocketty is willing to give Encarnacion another year. Maybe he's hoping it either clicks or they can fast-track Frazier for a 2010 call-up?

Personally, I'm not optimistic on Edwin. I actually think he showed some really bad habits developing in his swing last season, and I've seen no reason to believe he's going to improve defensively. I think he's a tease.
    My guess is the Reds have bigger fish to fry at the moment than 3B. The team needs a SS, C, at least one OF, middle relief and probably another starter. If a golden opportunity to snag at 3B at low cost came the Reds' way, I suppose they'd have to say yes, but if the club is trying to win something in 2009 (like the owner, GM and manager say it is), then Encarnacion is probably the best bet to make at the hot corner. He's been a steady hitter, he has defensive upside, he doesn't cost much and he allows the team to devote resources to other positions.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Dennys Reyes is an excellent target. Not only does he have respectable K/BB numbers, but he's over 60% ground balls just about every season.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Dennys Reyes is an excellent target. Not only does he have respectable K/BB numbers, but he's over 60% ground balls just about every season.
    I agree.

What do you guys think about bringing Mike Lincoln back? I wouldn't give him anything more than a one year deal at $1 million. He had a solid first half but struggled in the final two months, possibly due to fatigue since he hadn't pitched since 2004 when he threw only 17.1 innings. At first I was set on just letting him walk but now I wouldn't mind bringing him back for one year. I prefer him over Weathers. Despite the late season struggles, he still managed a solid 7.29 K/9, .711 OPS against, and 1.70 G/F ratio.

Possible 2009 bullpen:

Francisco Cordero
    Jared Burton
    Bill Bray
    Dennys Reyes
    Josh Roenicke/Carlos Fisher
    Ramon Ramirez
    Mike Lincoln
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I'd bring Lincoln back on a one year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    What do you guys think about bringing Mike Lincoln back? I wouldn't give him anything more than a one year deal at $1 million.
    Then you're not interested in bringing him back. If you're Mike Lincoln...do you sign that deal? I can't imagine that you would. It takes two sides to get a contract signed.

I would be much more interested in bringing Lincoln back for a year at 3 million than I am in most of the "name" relievers being floated around.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I agree.

What do you guys think about bringing Mike Lincoln back? I wouldn't give him anything more than a one year deal at $1 million. He had a solid first half but struggled in the final two months, possibly due to fatigue since he hadn't pitched since 2004 when he threw only 17.1 innings. At first I was set on just letting him walk but now I wouldn't mind bringing him back for one year. I prefer him over Weathers. Despite the late season struggles, he still managed a solid 7.29 K/9, .711 OPS against, and 1.70 G/F ratio.

Possible 2009 bullpen:

Francisco Cordero
    Jared Burton
    Bill Bray
    Dennys Reyes
    Ramon Ramirez
    Mike Lincoln
    I'd like to have Lincoln back. He is really underappreciated, not that he's a world beater but he was decent in 08 and he did it for peanuts. With the projected bullpen you've got there, let's say they sign Reyes for $3M and Lincoln for $1.5M. That pen had the following xFIPs in 08:

Cordero 4.08
    Burton 4.01
    Bray 3.77
    Reyes 3.42
    Roenicke ???
    Ramirez 4.51 (as a starter)
    Lincoln 4.06

Herrera is left as the odd man out, but he'd get his chance when the inevitable injury comes. I think that pen would be better than average.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    The return of Senor Sweat! Every time a see a direct quote from Jocketty, I like him a little bit more. He always makes a lot of sense and doesn't get too wrapped around any single issue. Seems like a very level headed guy, but as they say, 'Actions speak louder than words.' so I'm waiting to see what he'll actually DO. Color me hopeful.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

I agree.

Possible 2009 bullpen:

Francisco Cordero
    Jared Burton
    Bill Bray
    Dennys Reyes
    Ramon Ramirez
    Mike Lincoln
    If you think that both Roenicke and Fisher can pitch at the major league level then why bring Lincoln back?

I just want to see what your logic is with Lincoln. I thought the Reds should have done more to sign him towards the end of last season as well as in the months since the season ended. I thought he had a good year last year especially after not pitching for over a year. Lincoln will be 34 in April which isn't too bad but it may be a little risky because he will want a multi year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My guess is the Reds have bigger fish to fry at the moment than 3B. The team needs a SS, C, at least one OF, middle relief and probably another starter. If a golden opportunity to snag at 3B at low cost came the Reds' way, I suppose they'd have to say yes, but if the club is trying to win something in 2009 (like the owner, GM and manager say it is), then Encarnacion is probably the best bet to make at the hot corner. He's been a steady hitter, he has defensive upside, he doesn't cost much and he allows the team to devote resources to other positions.
    Reds only need a one-year stopgap, anyway.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Why would you put Ramirez in the pen? Personally I'd say he's the leading candidate for the 5th starter spot....BY FAR. He was excellent in the minors and well above average with the Reds.

4-5, 3.08 era at louisville with a 93/42 k-bb ratio.
    1-1, 2.67 era in cincy with a 21/11 k-bb ratio.

He could've easily been 4-0 with cincy as he had 4 very solid starts. The other candidates are Owings, Maloney, Bailey and Thompson. Owings got an interesting bat, but his pitching stats have never impressed me. Maloney would fit our need for a lefty, but he'd need to prove he could do it on the big stage before I'd seriously consider him. Thompson's in the same boat, his minor league stats were great...but he got knocked around pretty good in his 3 games with cincy. Bailey is the only one I'd considered a legitimate threat to Ramirez's bid for the 5th slot, but he's so up and down I don't know what to think of Homer. I think I'd rather see Homer in the pen before Ramirez.

All in all, I'd be VERY happy with a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto and Ramirez. That's potentially a top 3 rotation in the NL. Definitely head and shoulders better than we're used to seeing for the Reds.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?