Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzalez update; Reds have discussed bringing Larkin back to the organization

Gonzalez update; Reds have discussed bringing Larkin back to the organization

On Gonzalez, Larkin
    Posted by JohnFay at 12/3/2008 11:41 AM EST on Cincinnati.com

I don't see shortstop on the top of the Reds' shopping list for next week's Winter Meetings. But I think they'd jump on the chance to get a young prospect. The reason is: They simply can't be sure of Alex Gonzalez's health and this is last year of his contract anyway.

The update on Gonzalez isn't all that encouraging.

"He's progressing," Walt Jocketty said. "He should be ready for spring training."

Gonzalez's plan when the season ended was to play winter ball -- first at the minor league level and then at the big league level. That's no longer the plan.

"We don't think that would be beneficial," Jocketty said. "We want him 100 percent for spring training."

Gonzalez hasn't played in a game since Sept. 12, 2007. He had surgery July 7 this year to correct the microfracture in left knee.

Also, someone asked about possibility of Barry Larkin returning to the organization a couple of weeks ago. Jocketty said the Reds have discussed it. "But there's nothing to report at this time," Jocketty said.

I believe Larkin parted ways with the Washington Nationals. If that's the case -- I'm checking -- I think you'll see him at spring training at the very least.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gonzalez update; Reds have discussed bringing Larkin back to the organization

1. Gonzalez can't be counted on. Jocketty has got to acquire a good defensive shortstop that's not a liability with the bat. It would probably be my #1 priority at this point.

2. I would love to see Larkin brought back where he belongs. Seeing him work in another organization is just wrong. Lark remains one of my favorite players of all-time. I miss watching him play.

Re: Gonzalez update; Reds have discussed bringing Larkin back to the organization

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    1. Gonzalez can't be counted on. Jocketty has got to acquire a good defensive shortstop that's not a liability with the bat. It would probably be my #1 priority at this point.
    I agree but I just don't think that it may be a really realistic thing to expect given the market. SS like you describe are incredibly expensive to acquire, either FA or trade. A better route might be upgrading the overall offense so you can slot a guy like Janish in the 8th hole.

2. I would love to see Larkin brought back where he belongs. Seeing him work in another organization is just wrong. Lark remains one of my favorite players of all-time. I miss watching him play.
    Totally agree. Barry Larking belongs in a Reds uniform..

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Barry Larking belongs in a Reds uniform..
    hadn't thought about the uniform part, though Barry might be the best shortstop on next year's team

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

That's not very encouraging about AGon. I hope Walt has a backup plan in mind to get another major league ready SS into the organization. Janish is good as a defensive replacement but his bat isn't quite there and any other SS prospects we have aren't ready yet and may not even stick at the position.

I would LOVE to see Barry back with the team. I was at his HOF induction ceremony this year and it just seemed right to see him on the field at GABP. I really hope that happens.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I wouldn't mind seeing Barry back either, but doesn't he have two huge youth sport camps in Florida that keep him pretty busy? I'm not sure he wants a full time baseball job that could eventually put him on a manager or GM track. I think with some experience, he'd make an excellent manager or GM, but I'm not sure he wants to do that.

I'd love to have him, even if it was just a part time coach or consultant.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

With that theme in mind, anybody know what the status is of Eric Davis working with the Reds? I know he was "helping out" or something in the second half of the season. Anybody have an update?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    With that theme in mind, anybody know what the status is of Eric Davis working with the Reds? I know he was "helping out" or something in the second half of the season. Anybody have an update?
    The Reds hired Davis full-time.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=Barry+Larkin

I didn't see in there that they actually hired him full time. But rather that they were discussing hiring him full time. I hope that's true though.

Recently, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told MLB.com that Davis would be a roving instructor in 2009.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=cin

I agree but I just don't think that it may be a really realistic thing to expect given the market. SS like you describe are incredibly expensive to acquire, either FA or trade. A better route might be upgrading the overall offense so you can slot a guy like Janish in the 8th hole.

Yes, it is only natural to think that you would bat your worst hitter in the 8 hole, but we all know that Dusty Baker continually defies logic by batting the SS in the 2 hole. The thought of a Willy Taveras-Paul Janish 1-2 makes me cringe. If those two guys make their way into the starting lineup, you can bet that's where they will be hitting.

Recently, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told MLB.com that Davis would be a roving instructor in 2009.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Ah, there we go. Thanks OBM.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    hadn't thought about the uniform part, though Barry might be the best shortstop on next year's team
    Exactly what I was thinking. Sign him up.

Seriously though, he needs to be involved in this organization moreso than just about any former player.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Until I see AGon playing, I'm not counting him in. So unless the Reds acquire another SS, Keppinger is my choice to start. He'll hit 100 pts more than Janish and his defense isn't going to be enough short of Janish to make up for that. Of course I'm all for competition. If Janish or Hairston can outplay Keppinger for the job, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Until I see AGon playing, I'm not counting him in. So unless the Reds acquire another SS, Keppinger is my choice to start. He'll hit 100 pts more than Janish and his defense isn't going to be enough short of Janish to make up for that. Of course I'm all for competition. If Janish or Hairston can outplay Keppinger for the job, so be it.
    The only role where Jeff Keppinger does not hurt the team is as a platoon 1B against LHP. He lacks power, but hits pretty well against LH. He has good hands and would probably do well at 1B where range is not a factor. Given that 1B is traditionally where team's have their best hitters playing, even in this role, Keppinger is generally not the first choice for any team. At any other position, Keppinger's defensive negatives overwhelm whatever offensive contributions he may make. The run differential equation (saying his offense will make-up in production for whatever his defense allows in production) does not factor in the cumulative impact his plays not made might have on a staff and even that assumes that his bat will be much better than in 2008 (something I'm not convnced will happen). As a spot player who isn't in there every day, that cumulative impact is less a factor which may make him acceptable as an occasional substitute at 3B and, if there isn't anyone else, at 2B. But lacking a plane crash that wipes out all the other alternatives, I really have no desire to ever see him play SS again.

Keppinger has very limited utility. He has no power or speed element to his game which eliminates him as a bench option in those specialized roles. He'll never be a defensive replacement at any position (save possibly 1B), he can't play C, he should not play up the middle and if corner OF becomes an thought, there are plenty of alternatives even in career AAA guys who can add his brand of offense. I think a team needs to really think about how useful Keppinger really is since there just isn't any role on a roster for which he would be the first alternative. I agree that Kepp seems to be a little better than the sum of his parts, but I think he should have to compete for a roster spot in the spring.

In another thread some one (JoJo I think) mentioned that Kepp would be best under a manager like Earl Weaver who would know how to use him. I'd guess that Weaver's preference for defense and power would suggest that Weaver would view Keppinger as a guy whose best use is to be stashed at AAA to be brought up in short stretches when the starter is out for a week or two in the hope that Kepp would be in a hot streak at the time. I don't think Weaver would want him starting for weeks on end and probably would view his narrow skillset too restrictive for a valued bench spot on a permanent basis. I hope the Reds think like this, but Dusty is a far, far cry from Earl Weaver.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-04-2008 at 04:25 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?