Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nationals interested in Joey Votto.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nationals interested in Joey Votto.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Nationals Rumors: Dunn, Votto, Greinke

By Tim Dierkes [December 3 at 4:20pm CST]
    ESPN's Jerry Crasnick talks about the Nationals in today's column.* A few hot stove nuggets:

Crasnick talked to several agents and execs who just can't see the Nationals ponying up $20MM+ per year for Mark Teixeira.
    The Nats crave a lefthanded slugging first baseman, so Adam Dunn could fit the bill.* Crasnick talked to a couple of officials who suggested Dunn might have to settle in the three-year, $36MM range.* However, the Nationals may have to pay a premium to convince any prominent free agent to sign.
    Crasnick says the Nationals have explored many interesting names: Prince Fielder, Adrian Gonzalez, James Loney, Joey Votto, and Zack Greinke.* They may not have the young talent to pull off that kind of deal though.
    The Nats are "looking forward to the opportunity" to select Scott Boras client Stephen Strasburg in next June's draft.

Re: Nationals interested in Joey Votto.

That's a nice group to have interest in. I don't think they have the talent to bring back any of them, though.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

What would you ask from the Nationals for Joey Votto? Do you think the Reds should trade Joey Votto? I would trade Votto if the Reds could get a great return in a trade. Would you make the Nationals take Majewski back as part of the trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    What would you ask from the Nationals for Joey Votto? Do you think the Reds should trade Joey Votto? I would trade Votto if the Reds could get a great return in a trade. Would you make the Nationals take Majewski back as part of the trade?
    If I were Jocketty and the Nationals came knocking about Votto, they'd have to start the conversation with Zimmerman to avoid a quick door in the face (and they ain't doing that).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-03-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If I were Jocketty and the Nationals came knocking about Votto, they'd have to start the conversation with Zimmerman to avoid a quick door in the face (and they ain't doing that).
    Exactly. Any deal involving Votto to the Nationals would have to involve Ryan Zimmerman coming to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Exactly. Any deal involving Votto to the Nationals would have to involve Ryan Zimmerman coming to the Reds.
    Which would make no sense. So there's no fit. And Jocketty has pretty much sworn off dealing with Bowden, IIRC.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Which would make no sense. So there's no fit. And Jocketty has pretty much sworn off dealing with Bowden, IIRC.
    FWIW, I wouldn't trade Votto straight up for Zimmerman. I would need Zimmerman plus maybe Milledge, and a prospect. It would take a huge offer for me to deal Votto as I think he's got a very bright future ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Nationals Rumors: Dunn, Votto, Greinke

By Tim Dierkes [December 3 at 4:20pm CST]
    ESPN's Jerry Crasnick talks about the Nationals in today's column.* A few hot stove nuggets:

Crasnick talked to several agents and execs who just can't see the Nationals ponying up $20MM+ per year for Mark Teixeira.
    The Nats crave a lefthanded slugging first baseman, so Adam Dunn could fit the bill.* Crasnick talked to a couple of officials who suggested Dunn might have to settle in the three-year, $36MM range.* However, the Nationals may have to pay a premium to convince any prominent free agent to sign.
    Crasnick says the Nationals have explored many interesting names: Prince Fielder, Adrian Gonzalez, James Loney, Joey Votto, and Zack Greinke.* They may not have the young talent to pull off that kind of deal though.
    The Nats are "looking forward to the opportunity" to select Scott Boras client Stephen Strasburg in next June's draft.
    Sign me up if that's all it takes to land Dunn, whether it's the Reds or anybody else.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I seriously don't see ANYBODY on that Nationals roster I'd consider trading for. Not just for Votto...for ANYBODY. Zimmerman's probably their best player...and I'm not thrilled with him either. This was the first time I really looked at their roster/stats from last year and it was even worse than I thought it was. They didn't have a single player hit 15 or more HR's. FIFTEEN?!? Pitiful, scary...and yet, not surprising. Leatherpants' fingerprints all over that club. *shudders*

Zimmerman is a year younger than Votto. But with the year Votto put up and given that Zimmerman has already burned through his super cheap years, I'd need Milledge too. That would solve 2 problems at once, assuming EE moved to 1B.

I do find it odd that both guys seemed to hit better in DC, even in RFK.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Zimmerman is a year younger than Votto. But with the year Votto put up and given that Zimmerman has already burned through his super cheap years, I'd need Milledge too. That would solve 2 problems at once, assuming EE moved to 1B.

I do find it odd that both guys seemed to hit better in DC, even in RFK.
    I see where you're coming from, and I would do the same, but it doesn't make sense from either side of the deal; both teams would be trading core assets they don't have replacements for; it's just bad chess.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I see where you're coming from, and I would do the same, but it doesn't make sense from either side of the deal; both teams would be trading core assets they don't have replacements for; it's just bad chess.
    I don't know if I would go as far as saying the Reds don't have a replacement for Votto. I don't think I would deal him to Washington, but if somebody came and offered a huge package for Votto I still don't see him in the Bruce/Volquez/Cueto level. That's not a knock on Votto either, he's a really really good young 1st baseman. I just don't think he will ever be "great".

It would take a huge deal to get him, though.

The Nats still have Kearns, Dukes, Pena, Ryan Langerhans, and Willie Harris. They aren't hurting for OF.

I think Zimmerman provides comparable value to Votto (in the short) when you consider his superior defense further up the spectrum. Milledge fills LF today and provides future value and upside. Moving from EE to Zimmerman at 3B could be 30 runs by itself. Perhaps more importantly, adding an acceptable LF at no cost financially frees up money which could be used to make a run at a SS or pitching which might otherwise have to be used there.

I'm still trying to sell myself on the idea, but I don't think it's that far out there. Votto looks to be a real solid player, but let's not make the Sean Casey mistake again and overvalue a guy just because he's good and he's ours. Votto is not great shakes defensively and isn't likely to be a truly elite offensive performer around whom you build a playoff caliber offense. I think of Votto as an Aubrey Huff or Aramis Ramirez.

It also paves the way for Alonso when the time comes. I'm clearly getting ahead of myself, but I think trading Votto might just be crazy enough to make a lot of sense -- IF the return is right.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-03-2008 at 06:52 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The Nats still have Kearns, Dukes, Pena, Ryan Langerhans, and Willie Harris. They aren't hurting for OF.

I think Zimmerman provides comparable value to Votto (in the short) when you consider his superior defense further up the spectrum. Milledge fills LF today and provides future value and upside. Moving from EE to Zimmerman at 3B could be 30 runs by itself. Perhaps more importantly, adding an acceptable LF at no cost financially frees up money which could be used to make a run at a SS or pitching which might otherwise have to be used there.

I'm still trying to sell myself on the idea, but I don't think it's that far out there.
    But the Nats would no longer have a third baseman.

I'd love to have Zimmerman, but it doesn't make any sense for the Nats to move him.

But the Nats would no longer have a third baseman.

I'd love to have Zimmerman, but it doesn't make any sense for the Nats to move him.
    D'oh. Maybe we can interest them in Jeff Keppinger or Adam Rosales...

Turn Off Ads?