Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abreu or Dye?

Abreu or Dye?

Who do you like better?

Abreu gets on base more often, and has a better BB rate.

Abreu has more speed.

Abreu wouldn't cost the Reds any players to acquire, only cash.

Dye would cost the Reds players and cash.

Dye is right handed.

Dye has more power.

Both are 34 years old.

Both are mediocre right fielders.

Personally, I'd rather have Abreu.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Abreu or Dye?

I have to go with Dye here. I wouldn't be completely opposed to Abreu, but I think Dye would fit in more nicely between Bruce and Votto. We desperately need a power bat from the right side, and Dye could provide that for a year or two until some of the kids are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Abreu wouldn't cost the Reds any players to acquire, only cash.
    I'd rather persue Abreu for this reason.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Code:
    YEAR NAME            AGE POS  PA   EqA  OBP  SLG  VORP   RAR   RAP   
    2008 Bobby Abreu      34 rf   684 .290 .371 .471  32.6  44.2  11.7 
    2008 Jermaine Dye     34 rf   645 .293 .344 .541  37.7  44.6  13.4
    Good question.

I like Abreu and his ablity to get on base and a little speed in the lineup can't hurt. I'm also not as worried about power, within reason, being in GABP.

Cash is fungable, tallent is not. And the Reds tallent pool is rather shallow right now.

Then again, IIRC, doesn't GABP supress doubles and triples? Would this effect Abreu moreso than Dye (if at all)?

I guess I'm leaning Abreu if I had to choose.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-03-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I guess it depends on what Abreu wants but I'm guessing it's more of a financial commitment than Dye. I'd pursue the Homer for Dye trade.

Dye. You won't get Abreu for as short of a term as Dye. Dye fills exactly what we need.

Abrue HAD speed. I don't think it's correct to say that he currently "has" speed. That part of his game has all but vanished.

Man Pills

Dye.

The fact that the Reds would only have a one or two year commitment to Dye (depending on the option) cinches it for me. I can't see Abreu signing for less than three and an option and he probably wants 4 or 5 years. That makes him a lot less attractive.

I think I would have to say Abreu, I think we are reading way too much into finding a guy that hits RH. Abreu is a solid hitter, he hits @300, has gap power 39 doubles, decent pop 20 hr's and high OBP%, also plays good defense. Also Abreu dosn't cost us prospects to sign, we can use the prospects instead to acquire a SS/C for the longterm!!!! IMO this wouldn't be a bad lineup:

1)Dickerson-LH
    2)Phillips-RH
    3)Abreu-LH
    4)Votto-LH
    5)EE-RH
    6)Bruce-LH
    7)Gonzo-RH
    8)Hanigan-RH

Abreu. handedness doesn't interest me.

but really can we choose neither?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Abrue HAD speed. I don't think it's correct to say that he currently "has" speed. That part of his game has all but vanished.
    In 2007, he hit 40 doubles, 5 triples, and stole 25 bases vs. 8 CS.
    Last year, he produced virtually the same numbers: 39 doubles, 4 triples, and 22 SBs vs. 11 CS.

He still has speed. It may vanish soon, but he does still have it.

Dye, OTOH, is currently only slightly faster than my Grandma, and she passed away when I was 11.

Then again, IIRC, doesn't GABP supress doubles and triples? Would this effect Abreu moreso than Dye (if at all)?
    It suppresses doubles and triples by turning them into homers, so Abreu would probably see his HR total increase significantly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Abreau in Rf, BRuce in LF and Dickerson/? in CF isn't all bad.

I wasn't real impressed with Bruce in right field last year anyway.

The real issue would be whether Bobby A has enough street cred to bat 3rd since thats the home of right fielders and respect.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

If this was the Bobby Abreu with the Phillies, I would take him in a second but all things being as they are now I'd rather have Jermaine Dye as long as the price among current bidders didn't force the Reds/Jocketty out of contention for Dye's services. Who knows what the ultimate price will be for Dye. The White Sox are in an enviable postion and they know it... Which makes matters worse for the Reds trying to get a fair deal from Ken Williams. How intrigued Williams is by Homer Bailey and his potential makes or breaks the Dye for Bailey, et al, deal. I believe Bobby Abreu needs a better cast around him, than the Reds current hitters offers offensively, to get the most out Abreu's abilities.

It's an interesting comparison. They are the same age. They both play in right but probably belong in left now. Over the last 5 years, they both have been very healthy. Abreu has put up slightly better numbers, but Dye has had the best single year.

It's very close in terms of value. Given the reds current roster construction, I think handedness DOES matter in this case and that if I had to give up equivalent money to get one or the other, I would take Dye.

That said, I don't get to give up equivalent talent. Dye will cost talent on a talent poor ballclub. You can then pay him for a year or two and it's over by the time he crashes.

So the question comes down to what kind of contract will it take to get Bobby Abrue in town? If you went and offered a two year 26 million deal with a mutual option for a third year at 15, would he take it?

I don't know.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?