Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Deal for Weathers not close

Deal for Weathers not close

From Reds.com:
    CINCINNATI -- The Reds' hopes to bring reliever David Weathers back in the fold before the Winter Meetings may not be realized.
    Weathers and his agent, Dan Horwits, are negotiating with several teams, including the Reds. They have a midnight ET deadline looming on Sunday to accept or decline Cincinnati's arbitration offer.

"I wouldn't say anything is close," Weathers said on Friday from his home in Tennessee. "We're talking to several teams right now. There's a lot on the table. We're looking to see which [offer] is the best one. We have a lot of things on our plate."

Back in mid-November, Weathers' relationship with the Reds was frosty and he said that he didn't expect to return to Cincinnati because he hadn't received an offer during the exclusive negotiating period despite the club's interest.

Things have warmed up since.

"They called and wanted to negotiate," Weathers said. "We said some stuff on our side -- they did on theirs. It's your average negotiations. We're closer, but we're not that close."

A primary setup man for the Reds last season, the 39-year-old Weathers was 4-6 with a 3.25 ERA in 72 relief appearances last season while making $2.75 million.

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty already re-signed one free-agent reliever in Mike Lincoln, who inked a two-year, $4 million deal on Thursday. Jocketty has talked with Horwits multiple times this week and wanted to get deals done with Weathers and utility player Jerry Hairston Jr. so the Reds would know where they stood heading into next week's Winter Meetings at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
    Don't expect that to happen, however.

"Not at the pace we're going, I wouldn't say so," Weathers said.

Weathers declined to name the other teams that have interest in his services.

"I'll just say that I have options," he said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deal for Weathers not close

Kick him to the curb and move on, Walt! Time would be better spent pursuing Beimel or someone similar. David Weathers is OLD and about DONE. Plus, he seems to think he is a lot better than what he is. Let him take one of those "other offers."

I have been one of the few who has defended Weathers for the most part as a decent relief pitcher. I have never thought he was great, but for a guy who throws an 89 mph fastball, he somehow miraculously gets people out more often than not, while usually making it interesting.

Personally, I'm surprised about his attitude toward the Reds.

And considering the Reds were willing to trade several bullpen guys at the trading deadline this past season, but had NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER, even with the Mets bullpen struggling?????.........it surprises me that there is much of a market for Weathers.

I really thought this was going to be cut and dried and David would be back with the Reds. At this point, I don't really care if he returns and I'd rather spend the money on a younger guy with more upside.

The Winter Meetings are upon us, and the Reds have to do what they have to do.

Someone is going to overpay for Weathers, I'm glad it looks like it won't be the Reds. Sure, he had a nice season, not taking that away from him, but to think he has much left in the tank is an error. Nice guy, gets by on grit, but time to move on.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

Weathers should be a perfect fit for a team that's rebuilding and needs a closer for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Kick him to the curb and move on, Walt! Time would be better spent pursuing Beimel or someone similar. David Weathers is OLD and about DONE. Plus, he seems to think he is a lot better than what he is. Let him take one of those "other offers."
    I wouldn't be that Rude but yeah, lets move on... he is 39 and even though his ERA was ok... He is No World Beater...

I would rather lock up Joe Beimel and Aurthur Rhodes (even though Rhodes is 39-40) than go with Weathers, who lets inherited runners score at will...

6 losses on his watch? Yikes!

Turn Off Ads?