Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds re-sign Mike Lincoln

Reds re-sign Mike Lincoln

Reds re-signed Mike Lincoln:

Reds sign Lincoln to two-year deal
    by Troy Renck on December 4, 2008

While the Rockies are moving methodically in their search for relievers, a few have come off the board over the last few days. The Cincinnati Reds signed right-handed free agent Mike Lincoln to a two-year, $4-million deal accoding to contract information obtained by The Denver Post.

Lincoln went 2-5 with a 4.48 ERA in 64 games last season. He will make $1.5 million in 2009 and $2.5 million in 2010. He also has financial incentives for games started and games finished.
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/...two-year-deal/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Reds re-sign Mike Lincoln

Stupid move. Though there's nothing on the vaunted farm to take his place. Still, it's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Stupid move.
    Why? The money or just bringing him back at all?
    That was going to be the price to get him.

I assume they have heard that Weathers is going elsewhere.
    Affeldt is gone.

Between them, those guys represented 220 very well pitched innings out of the bullpen. That's a lot to replace. If the reds lost all three of those guys, they really needed to acquire outside bullpen help. As it is, that's less of a need.

Financial incentives for games started....that's interesting.
    Last edited by dfs; 12-04-2008 at 02:05 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

He put up a 4.51 FIP in 2008, largely influenced a poor HR rate. However, that HR rate was way above what you'd expect and he's a strong groundball guy. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't hate it. I just hope it means we aren't bringing back Weathers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Stupid move. Though there's nothing on the vaunted farm to take his place. Still, it's stupid.
    Actually, yeah there is. Josh Roenicke, Carlos Fisher, and Robert Manuel are all capable of replacing him. I didn't mind him back on a one year deal but there's no way I would've given him two years.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I didn't care if they brought him back or not. I thought he was alright, but I also thought he could be easily replaced in-house. 2 million a year for 2 years...that, I have a problem with. Too much money and one year too many. Too much of an injury history for a multi-year deal IMO. But whatever, at least it's not an attrocious deal.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Two years is probably a stretch.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Good signing. The Reds have to bring in some veteran bullpen arms.

IMO, it's not a good idea to have the pen be Cordero, Bray, Burton, and 3 or 4 rookies.
    The Reds simply do not have 3-4 rookies on the farm that will produce at a level better than Lincoln.

2 million/year for a guy like Lincoln for 2 years is not bad at all. If someone doesn't like this move, can they suggest a better guy for the same price and years. If another club signs a better value this winter, someone is free to rebump this thread.

If the Reds can't afford 2 million/year to shore up the pen and protect rookies from being thrown to the fire, we might as well contract the team. Good move.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Tale of two seasons for Lincoln.

He put together one of the best two month stretches in baseball, then put together two of the worst.
    (from May 25th to the end of July he put up a .87 earnie w/ a .83 WHIP.....included was that 20ip/0 ER over 15 games)

Having not pitched for a couple of years(correction/ 3.5 years).....I'm willing to say the grueling season took a toll on him and wore him down in August and early September.

4 years, 2M? Good gamble
    Last edited by VR; 12-04-2008 at 02:18 PM.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I think the money is a little more than I expected, but I'm glad to have Lincoln back. 2 years is fine.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

If two years is too much, would you have preferred 1 year at 2.75 or 3 million? Because that's probably what it would've taken.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Blah.

If everyone is okay with bringing him back for one year(I'm assuming everyone expects him to pitch well enough to earn the $2 mill this year,) than the second year isn't a problem.
    If the Reds have a glut of relievers after this year, trading a reliable bullpenner with one year at $2 mill left on his contract won't be hard.

Complaining about a second year is looking for something to complain about IMO.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

One year I would like ... Two years I don't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I just hope this means David Weathers is moving on. I prefer two years of Lincoln to one year of David Weathers.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?