Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

I just don't see how a guy who we want to platoon with Hanigan is worth anything of value. I'm also not sold on his '08, his career numbers don't look as promising. I hope they don't do it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Honestly i would like to give Hanigan the job.Find a reasonable backup catcher.What was wrong with Javier Valenten,never seen anyone speak of him much in these chatters.He done a desent job,just don't carry three catchers,and what about Castillo acquired in the Dunn trade.He can play anywhere even announce if you need him to.I belive he will be the sleeper this year on the reds.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Yeah, I don't get all this Laird hype either. He's a decent catcher but certainly nothing special. I would cringe if we were to deal away a Thompson or Roenicke for him, and I'd begin to wet my bed at night if we dealt Bailey.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

i'd rather have bard. (i really need to check why walt likes trades over FA's)

salty would cost more in prospects and, if he's lucky, will end up as a poor mans vmart. imo, defense should be the priority behind the plate and unfortunately we're not in the AL so we couldn't stick him at dh.

Emin3mShady07, i've been impressed by alot of your posts but catcher is one of the positions where you have to factor in defense a little more into the equation. of course a catcher like laird alone can't "turn aroung pitchers performances just by his pitch selection" but a plus defensive catcher helps the pitcher/team alot more than a poor or average one.

Laid might be a younger catcher and maybe he would surprise but I don't think he is the best option. I would go after someone else if the that ment getting a older, smarter catcher. Not saying hes dumb,you know what I mean. I thought that Bako was going to be fine last year but he turned into a pain to watch. The Reds should jump out to Ivan Rodriguez in my opinion.

I guess where does Wilkin Castillo factor into this argument?

Is the guy not a catcher that is a perfect platoon with Hannigan?

I just hate to give up much for an bleh catcher, who puts up below mediocre offensive numbers playing in Arlington...when we have about similar production in our own system...additionally the guy is going to make 2-3million as his arbitration numbers rise.

Pass on this crap and spend your money on bigger fish instead of stockpiling goldfish.

Laird would be a huge mistake I would offer Bailey, Thompson, Frazier and Roenike for Elvis Andrus and Taylor Teagarden or Max Ramirez and if they would throw him in Nelson Cruz. Laird is not who they should be focused on at all and Salty can't play defence TT boy and Ramirez are the real deal and I would love to see one of them be in a Reds uniform next year splitting time with Hanigan then taking over next year once he gets his feet wet. Then we get our SS of the future in Andrus. The trade would work wonders for both teams and could put both over the top in the coming years.

Let the kids play!

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post

I just hate to give up much for an bleh catcher, who puts up below mediocre offensive numbers playing in Arlington...when we have about similar production in our own system...additionally the guy is going to make 2-3million as his arbitration numbers rise.

Pass on this crap and spend your money on bigger fish instead of stockpiling goldfish.
    Dusty saw him in a bullpen session and said he sucks. That means dusty has seen him once and will never change his mind on the matter. Castillo is now just a pinch runner and a late inning left field replacement.

[QUOTE=redsfandan;1771927]i'd rather have bard. (i really need to check why walt likes trades over FA's)

Walt commented on this last week, saying FA prices were driven up so high, would rather go trade route and not have to pay the inflated numbers now-esp for this years FA class. Of course, those trades then can still jack up down the road when their contract expires, but thats a beast for another day I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Emin3mShady07, i've been impressed by alot of your posts but catcher is one of the positions where you have to factor in defense a little more into the equation. of course a catcher like laird alone can't "turn aroung pitchers performances just by his pitch selection" but a plus defensive catcher helps the pitcher/team alot more than a poor or average one.
    This is a valid point no doubt, a strong defensive catcher can really help a team out, but (now I don't know much about Hanigan) is Laird really that much of a defensive upgrade over what the reds have to give up prospects and 3+ million just to get a platoon partner for Hanigan? I wouldn't say so. I mean he seems just average at blocking balls in the dirt http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/200...-block-percent and he doesn't seem to have a canon for an arm so I just don't think Laird is worth all of the resources it would take to acquire him. I'm not talking anything away from strong defensive catchers, I'm just saying that Laird's defense is nothing to get excited about or give up specs and $$ for

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post

Me and you sir, are on the same page...

There is no way the Reds should be pursuing this deal. Laird may have experience, but Hanigan is as good or better than him in ever catagory. this year. What the Reds need is a back-up which can be obtained in rule five with Skelton and or Pilittere. If the Reds want to trade with the Rangers it needs to be for Nixon.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    There is no way the Reds should be pursuing this deal. Laird may have experience, but Hanigan is as good or better than him in ever catagory. this year. What the Reds need is a back-up which can be obtained in rule five with Skelton and or Pilittere. If the Reds want to trade with the Rangers it needs to be for Nixon.
    Who?

I am fairly sure there isn't a prospect in the Ranger's organization that in named Nixon.

Per MLBTR.com: According to Jon Paul Morosi, the Tigers have become more aggressive in discussions for Rangers catcher Gerald Laird.
    GO TIGERS! GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I wouldn't give Thompson or Bailey for Laird under any scenario. Thompson's going to be much, much, more valuable to the Major League club over the next 7 seasons than Laird will be.
    I disagree. I think Thompson is and will be injury prone his whole career.

Turn Off Ads?