Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69

Thread: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    I think Laird is not worth 3 Million or 2 Million, maybe 1 Million and he is a back up Catcher... this is not the move this team needs to make when it can sign Ivan Rodriguez for 1 year at 2 to 2.5 Million... To back up Hanigan...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,551

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    i'd actually consider irod if he'd only take $2 million to be a backup. too bad that's not realistic. man hondo, with some of the stuff you throw out there i have to wonder what your dreams are like when you're asleep.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    i'd actually consider irod if he'd only take $2 million to be a backup. too bad that's not realistic. man hondo, with some of the stuff you throw out there i have to wonder what your dreams are like when you're asleep.
    Ok, so whats he going to sign for? 5 Million, 8 Million

    Throw something out there... Oh and Johnny Bench Loves the guy so yeah... He could be a Red.

  5. #34
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,551

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    hell if i know what he'll eventually make but he made over $12 milion last year. he'll definitely make less but probably not $10 million less.

    johnny bench loves him. ok and so? hell i like him too. that doesn't mean he'll be a red. imo, he's a 1st ballot hall of famer but he's 37 now. catchers usually don't age that well when they approach 40 and he's just not the same catcher he used to be. if we could have him for only a couple million i'd take that. but i bet someone will pay more.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  6. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    hell if i know what he'll eventually make but he made over $12 milion last year. he'll definitely make less but probably not $10 million less.

    johnny bench loves him. ok and so? hell i like him too. that doesn't mean he'll be a red. imo, he's a 1st ballot hall of famer but he's 37 now. catchers usually don't age that well when they approach 40 and he's just not the same catcher he used to be. if we could have him for only a couple million i'd take that. but i bet someone will pay more.
    It is for a Back up role... to Ryan Hanigan...

    Not asking for 140 Games out of him...

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    Thompson would be ok trade bait but not for Liard. I'd have trouble finding the right deal for him. He could be injury prone but hes still young and was coming off arm problems from before it isnt like he was destroyed last year when he was kinda shut down.

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    Why does anyone even want Laird?

    I don't get it... Hanigan is basically a similar player at a lesser cost and not trading any prospects...

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    I really dont want Liard. I have some decent faith in Hanigan to be an average catcher through his prime years.

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,532

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    i'd rather have bard. (i really need to check why walt likes trades over FA's)

    salty would cost more in prospects and, if he's lucky, will end up as a poor mans vmart. imo, defense should be the priority behind the plate and unfortunately we're not in the AL so we couldn't stick him at dh.

    Emin3mShady07, i've been impressed by alot of your posts but catcher is one of the positions where you have to factor in defense a little more into the equation. of course a catcher like laird alone can't "turn aroung pitchers performances just by his pitch selection" but a plus defensive catcher helps the pitcher/team alot more than a poor or average one.
    While I disagree with you about the value of Laird vs. Roenicke/Thomspon/Bailey, I not only agree with you about factoring in the defensive qualities of a catcher, but I think it's 90% of what's important for this team. We have a lot of young pitchers. Our team defense still needs more improving even though it's improved a ton by getting rid of Dunn and Junior. I just don't care one iota what our Catcher's bring offensively to the game. I want them to at least grade out at "B" defensively and how they handle pitchers is part of that defensive grade. As a result, I don't know anything about any catchers out there as far as judging how they do in those areas. I have to trust that our scouts and Walt Jockety will come up with the right guy. Walt has a history of going that direction, so I'm confident in his decision in this area. I'm willing to give up a Roenicke plus another prospect for this, but not a Thompson or Bailey.

  11. #40
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,551

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    yep i agree defense 1st at catcher although i don't think i've mentioned roenicke, thompson, or bailey in this thread so i don't understand what you meant by that part.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  12. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    Whats the book say on Jason Kendall? I still believe he'd be better than Laird if were only looking at maybe 30-60 games and some pinch hit appearances. Handled a very young staff with Milwaukee the last couple years with some success.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  13. #42
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,551

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    kendall's option for '09 vested so he's not available unless via trade. texas has 4 catchers. don't think milwaukee is so lucky. i bet they'll keep him around for now.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-05-2008 at 08:31 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    kendall's option for '09 vested so he's not available unless via trade. texas has 4 catchers. don't think milwaukee is so lucky. i bet they'll keep him around for now.
    Wasn't sure if Kendall's option had been picked up so thank you for the clarification. I still hope the Reds dont give up any pieces of value for a guy who its pretty assuredly known what he'll bring and will cost more than a mil after arby. Let Detroit have him. Look elsewhere. Whats this say of the Reds view of Castillo? He would certainly sound like a guy who could be the backup catcher and still play where ever else and just throw on the catchers gear if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  15. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Wasn't sure if Kendall's option had been picked up so thank you for the clarification. I still hope the Reds dont give up any pieces of value for a guy who its pretty assuredly known what he'll bring and will cost more than a mil after arby. Let Detroit have him. Look elsewhere. Whats this say of the Reds view of Castillo? He would certainly sound like a guy who could be the backup catcher and still play where ever else and just throw on the catchers gear if needed.
    Why trade anyone when you can sign C Ivan Rodrigez to a 1 year deal and not give up 1 prospect...

    Why is Walt obsessed with a Cathcer with 1-3 years of service time... Besides the fact that he has control of the player for atleast 3 more years...

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,532

    Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    yep i agree defense 1st at catcher although i don't think i've mentioned roenicke, thompson, or bailey in this thread so i don't understand what you meant by that part.
    Not you personally about those players, but that's what the thread's about in general.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25