Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

Re: Reds/Tigers, hot after Laird

I think Laird is not worth 3 Million or 2 Million, maybe 1 Million and he is a back up Catcher... this is not the move this team needs to make when it can sign Ivan Rodriguez for 1 year at 2 to 2.5 Million... To back up Hanigan...

2. Turn Off Ads?

i'd actually consider irod if he'd only take $2 million to be a backup. too bad that's not realistic. man hondo, with some of the stuff you throw out there i have to wonder what your dreams are like when you're asleep.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    i'd actually consider irod if he'd only take $2 million to be a backup. too bad that's not realistic. man hondo, with some of the stuff you throw out there i have to wonder what your dreams are like when you're asleep.
    Ok, so whats he going to sign for? 5 Million, 8 Million

Throw something out there... Oh and Johnny Bench Loves the guy so yeah... He could be a Red.

hell if i know what he'll eventually make but he made over $12 milion last year. he'll definitely make less but probably not $10 million less.

johnny bench loves him. ok and so? hell i like him too. that doesn't mean he'll be a red. imo, he's a 1st ballot hall of famer but he's 37 now. catchers usually don't age that well when they approach 40 and he's just not the same catcher he used to be. if we could have him for only a couple million i'd take that. but i bet someone will pay more.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

hell if i know what he'll eventually make but he made over $12 milion last year. he'll definitely make less but probably not $10 million less.

johnny bench loves him. ok and so? hell i like him too. that doesn't mean he'll be a red. imo, he's a 1st ballot hall of famer but he's 37 now. catchers usually don't age that well when they approach 40 and he's just not the same catcher he used to be. if we could have him for only a couple million i'd take that. but i bet someone will pay more.
    It is for a Back up role... to Ryan Hanigan...

Not asking for 140 Games out of him...

Thompson would be ok trade bait but not for Liard. I'd have trouble finding the right deal for him. He could be injury prone but hes still young and was coming off arm problems from before it isnt like he was destroyed last year when he was kinda shut down.

Why does anyone even want Laird?

I don't get it... Hanigan is basically a similar player at a lesser cost and not trading any prospects...

I really dont want Liard. I have some decent faith in Hanigan to be an average catcher through his prime years.

i'd rather have bard. (i really need to check why walt likes trades over FA's)

salty would cost more in prospects and, if he's lucky, will end up as a poor mans vmart. imo, defense should be the priority behind the plate and unfortunately we're not in the AL so we couldn't stick him at dh.

Emin3mShady07, i've been impressed by alot of your posts but catcher is one of the positions where you have to factor in defense a little more into the equation. of course a catcher like laird alone can't "turn aroung pitchers performances just by his pitch selection" but a plus defensive catcher helps the pitcher/team alot more than a poor or average one.
    While I disagree with you about the value of Laird vs. Roenicke/Thomspon/Bailey, I not only agree with you about factoring in the defensive qualities of a catcher, but I think it's 90% of what's important for this team. We have a lot of young pitchers. Our team defense still needs more improving even though it's improved a ton by getting rid of Dunn and Junior. I just don't care one iota what our Catcher's bring offensively to the game. I want them to at least grade out at "B" defensively and how they handle pitchers is part of that defensive grade. As a result, I don't know anything about any catchers out there as far as judging how they do in those areas. I have to trust that our scouts and Walt Jockety will come up with the right guy. Walt has a history of going that direction, so I'm confident in his decision in this area. I'm willing to give up a Roenicke plus another prospect for this, but not a Thompson or Bailey.

yep i agree defense 1st at catcher although i don't think i've mentioned roenicke, thompson, or bailey in this thread so i don't understand what you meant by that part.

Whats the book say on Jason Kendall? I still believe he'd be better than Laird if were only looking at maybe 30-60 games and some pinch hit appearances. Handled a very young staff with Milwaukee the last couple years with some success.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

kendall's option for '09 vested so he's not available unless via trade. texas has 4 catchers. don't think milwaukee is so lucky. i bet they'll keep him around for now.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-05-2008 at 08:31 PM.

kendall's option for '09 vested so he's not available unless via trade. texas has 4 catchers. don't think milwaukee is so lucky. i bet they'll keep him around for now.
    Wasn't sure if Kendall's option had been picked up so thank you for the clarification. I still hope the Reds dont give up any pieces of value for a guy who its pretty assuredly known what he'll bring and will cost more than a mil after arby. Let Detroit have him. Look elsewhere. Whats this say of the Reds view of Castillo? He would certainly sound like a guy who could be the backup catcher and still play where ever else and just throw on the catchers gear if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Wasn't sure if Kendall's option had been picked up so thank you for the clarification. I still hope the Reds dont give up any pieces of value for a guy who its pretty assuredly known what he'll bring and will cost more than a mil after arby. Let Detroit have him. Look elsewhere. Whats this say of the Reds view of Castillo? He would certainly sound like a guy who could be the backup catcher and still play where ever else and just throw on the catchers gear if needed.
    Why trade anyone when you can sign C Ivan Rodrigez to a 1 year deal and not give up 1 prospect...

Why is Walt obsessed with a Cathcer with 1-3 years of service time... Besides the fact that he has control of the player for atleast 3 more years...

yep i agree defense 1st at catcher although i don't think i've mentioned roenicke, thompson, or bailey in this thread so i don't understand what you meant by that part.
    Not you personally about those players, but that's what the thread's about in general.

Turn Off Ads?