Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A's out of running for SS Furcal

A's out of running for SS Furcal

A's out of running for SS Furcal by Ken Rosenthal
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8...-for-SS-Furcal

The A's abruptly pulled out of the Rafael Furcal sweepstakes Friday after the free-agent shortstop rejected their four-year contract offer.

Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, told FOXSports.com that Furcal declined the A's proposal, which was believed to be in the range of $35 million to $40 million.

The A's had given Furcal a Saturday deadline to accept their offer, according to major-league sources. When Furcal rejected the deal, team officials informed Kinzer they would move on to other pursuits.

Kinzer said the "door is definitely open" to further discussions, but the A's will revisit Furcal only if he is willing to accept a lesser deal, sources said.

For now, the A's plan to keep Bobby Crosby at shortstop, pursue free-agent left-hander Randy Johnson and consider free-agent hitters such as Adam Dunn, Pat Burrell and Jason Giambi.

"They needed some freedom to make the moves they needed to — that's fine," Kinzer said.

Kinzer said he continues to talk with the Dodgers about re-signing Furcal, and plans to meet again with the A's and other interested clubs at the winter meetings in Las Vegas.

The A's granted Furcal's request for a four-year contract, but their offer represented a pay cut from his $13 million average salary with the Dodgers.

No other club is believed to have given Furcal a four-year proposal, but Kinzer said length of contract is only one consideration.

"That isn't a deal-breaker," Kinzer said. "There are a lot of other things that go into it."

The Giants talked to Furcal before signing free agent Edgar Renteria on Thursday to a two-year, $18.5 million contract.

It is not known which other clubs are pursuing Furcal, who underwent back surgery last season and missed more than four months before rejoining the Dodgers in late September.

Furcal, 31, could expand his market if he were willing to move to second base, a position he has played extensively in winter ball. The Mets and Yankees, for example, could pursue second basemen if they trade their current starters at that position. But even then, they might prefer free agent Orlando Hudson.

Furcal, a switch-hitting leadoff man, played in only 36 games for the Dodgers last season, batting .357 with a .439 on-base percentage and .573 slugging percentage.

He is a career .286 hitter with a .352 OBP.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-06-2008 at 03:31 AM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A's out of running for SS Furcal

it would be wise for kinzer to remember what boras did with ordonez a few years ago.

After spending eight seasons in Chicago, Ordˇ˝ez signed with the Detroit Tigers as a free agent on February 7, 2005. His five-year, $85 million contract is the second largest the Tigers have ever paid a player. Because of Ordˇ˝ez's knee injury from the 2004 season, the contract included a clause stating that if he were to spend more than 25 days on the disabled list due to the same injury, the contract could be bought out for $3 million at the discretion of the Tigers' management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magglio_Ord%C3%B3%C3%B1ez
    renteria and greene have already been dealt to teams that needed a shortstop and jack wilson could be next. if furcal/kinzer don't want a deal that is a paycut they need to throw out something like that to address the concern teams have about furcals back.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

It may just be the mood I'm in but Furcal just turns down 10 mill a year for the next four years and 500k people just lost their jobs last month? Furcal can go get bent.

Its your mood

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    It may just be the mood I'm in but Furcal just turns down 10 mill a year for the next four years and 500k people just lost their jobs last month? Furcal can go get bent.
    Maybe just maybe he wants to play for a different team or remain in the NL...

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Maybe he looks at the opposite way. The economy reminds him that anything can happen and he needs to make as much as he can when he faces what is likely his last chance at really big money.

I know it sounds somewhat ridiculous to most of us to turn down $10 million per year, and he might be making a mistake, but if his agent tells him he can get $12 million per year can he really say, "no, I don't want $6-8 million over the next 3-4 years"? That is what he's looking at. Turning down more money than most of us will see in our entire lives. He won't get the chance to make that again. The economy tanking just reminds everybody not to take for granted his current good fortune.

Lastly, the tax rate in California is very high. He gives up something like a million a year in state income tax if he signs with the A's. His agent is paid to remind him of things like this.
    Last edited by BRM13; 12-06-2008 at 03:45 PM.

If Furcal keeps turning down great money sometime soon all teams will pull,and someone will sign him "at thier price".he is a good player,but he is no Jeter.I f you agent tells he going to get you such dollars and don't,is he a good advisor,do you fire him.Walt speaking on 700wlw this week said they may be several players looking for work,in january and feburary.

Quote Originally Posted by Steviejoe View Post
    If Furcal keeps turning down great money sometime soon all teams will pull,and someone will sign him "at thier price".he is a good player,but he is no Jeter.I f you agent tells he going to get you such dollars and don't,is he a good advisor,do you fire him.Walt speaking on 700wlw this week said they may be several players looking for work,in january and feburary.
    No Jeter on offense, maybe depending on the type of year they both have next year, but defensively the +/- system from fielding bible has furcal about 20-25 runs/year better than Jeter. Furcal is an above average hitter and a well above average fielder so I think a 10+ million contract is imminent and the A's knew that, but were trying to sign him for less because they could not afford the big contract.
    Baseball is not necessarily an obsessive-compulsive disorder, like washing your hands 100 times a day, but it's beginning to seem that way. We're reaching the point where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. ~Thomas Boswell

Having a life is overrated.

jeter will make north of $20 million next year. furcal will make ALOT less. jeter is overpaid and i'd take the cheaper and better all around ss in furcal anyday. the only question is the health risk. as i pointed out before you can always construct a deal to diminish the risk. imo, jeter is lucky he's a yankee cuz if he wasn't he wouldn't be rated by people so highly and wouldn't be paid as much as he is either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steviejoe View Post
    I think thats what happened to Sabo.

i truly feel that we will end up signing Furcal, and I am happy about that. He still has a lot left. I think he would be good in this lineup. I also feel that we will end up getting Jermaine Dye. I think that is good also. We have great pitching right now. We need offense and defense. We can have that with the combo of Furcal and Dye. I don't know what I predict for the other rumors, but I do think Furcal and Dye end up on this team.

I'd take Furcal at 4 years ~13 MM/yr, if we're still in the running for him.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I'd take Furcal at 4 years ~13 MM/yr, if we're still in the running for him.
    since the best he's been offered so far is 4 years/$36 million from oakland i don't see why we should pay $4 million/year more especially with his health risk. i'd like him on our team but i'd at least want some kind of clause so we wouldn't have to worry that we'd have to pay alot of money to a player that spends most of his time on the DL.

I like Furcal if he's healthy. there would have to be health clauses if the contract if i were to sign him and I do not see him agreeing to that.

he may not have a choice. it could be either take less money or include a health related clause.

Turn Off Ads?