Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Christmas Song

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Re: Favorite Christmas Song

Very niiiiiice, deltachi8----those lyrics sum up pretty much my view of the "Holiday Season"....

2. Turn Off Ads?

i played on a "quickie" Christmas album with Joan Osborne and actually enjoy listening to it. "Christmas Means Love" - it's available on itunes and I think it is available as a CD through Barnes and Noble. Neat record - Joan can really sing. Otherwise, there is a Duke Ellington record where he rearranged and his big band performs The Nutcracker. It is amazing! Incredible band and arrangements on a classic piece.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Mistress For Christmas--AC/DC
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

From the classic side :
    - O Little Town of Bethlehem
    - Silent Night

From the "other side" I honstly like some of the Johnny Marks "Rudolph theRed nosed Reindeer" songs, particularly :
    - Holly Jolly Christmas
    - SIlver and Gold
    - The Most Wonderful Day of the Year

Also "Let it Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow"

I guess they just bring back really really fond memories.
    Last edited by bucksfan; 12-09-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

From the "other side" I honstly like some of the Johnny Marks "Rudolph theRed nosed Reindeer" songs, particularly :
    - Holly Jolly Christmas
    - SIlver and Gold
    - The Most Wonderful Day of the Year
    Burl Ives. I like "Holly Jolly Christmas" and "Silver and Gold" too. It brings back memories as a kid, watching Rudolph.
    My parents farmhouse burned down when I was 4 years old. Among the items lost were their record collection, so as a kid we had one Christmas record, a Perry Como album. Even now I like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and other classics from that album.
    I'm very much a traditionalist. I like Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" and "Count Your Blessings" (from the movie "White Christmas"), Mel Torme's "The Christmas Song", Judy Garland's "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (with the original lyrics), and everybody's version of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" (I sometimes think of Alan Alda's "Hawkeye" on "M*A*S*H* singing the song).
    The Carpenters Christmas album is in my car's CD player now. One song just flows into the next. Karen Carpenter had a great voice.
    I like Amy Grant's first Christmas album, especially "Tennessee Christmas," "Little Town" and "Emmanuel."
    Martina McBride has a fun duet with Dean Martin on "Baby It's Cold Outside," a wonderful vocal on "What Child Is This?" and a great version of "O Holy Night." I've seen Martina sing "O Holy Night" accapella in concert--just fantastic.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

RotoHester

Bob Seger: Little Drummer Boy
    Vince Vance and the Valiants: All I want for Christmas is You
    Skip Ewing: My name is Christmas Carol

You folks have mentioned a lot of good ones like Bing and Bowie's Drummer Boy (how did those two ever get together anyway) and the Carpenters who were just magically designed for Christmas music but I haven't seen my favorite listed yet.

I'm a big fan of Broadway (even though I've never been to NY) and my favorite is "We Need a Little Christmas" from the show Auntie Mame. Angela Lansberry does a nice version but any sophisticated saprano that can reach those high notes will do justice to this song. It really embodies a family Christmas as her nieces/nephews have lines in it. The song also is appropriate for this year as many families struggling through this economy are likely saying we do, indeed, need a little Christmas.

Nothing says Christmas like Noddy Holder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIJ9Yb-xwQ

Or perhaps Ray Davies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaPXihbORk

The Dandy Warhols also do two versions of "Little Drummer Boy." The more common version has got more of a dreamy soundwash vibe. The version I like, and that I can't find anywhere but on a cassette I taped off a radio broadcast in 1995, has got a bleating guitar riff and just soars into rock 'n' roll excess at the end.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Jingle Bell Rock
    White Christmas
    All I Want for Christmas is You (a guilty pleasure)
    Baby It's Cold Outside
    I'll Be Home for Christmas

You know, it is rare to go wrong with Christmas Songs (originals, that is).

There is no finer song that describes the holiday season than "Merry Christmas From The Family" by Robert Earl Keen.

Robert Earl Keen is the best. I was sorely tempted to make the 4-5 hour trip to see him and his buddy Todd Snider at the Ryman in Tennessee last month, but I'm all grown up now and have a job and responsibilities and a family.......

Ray Wylie is pretty cool too.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

For me its Bing singing "White Christmas."

But my favorite song is "Oh Holy Night" there just isn't a specific version I can point to, I like it when somebody who can really sing does it. Pavarotti or some one like that.

Another I like is Perry Como "There's No PLace Like Home For The Holidays"
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But my favorite song is "Oh Holy Night" there just isn't a specific version I can point to, I like it when somebody who can really sing does it. Pavarotti or some one like that.
    Like this version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xSbiGWzuQ
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-13-2008 at 11:02 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Oh my. Why would anybody put that out there for all to see? He must have lost a bet. I may need to re-think my song choices.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?