1) Yonder Alonso, 1B, Grade B+: Love the walks, strong power, but sharp platoon split keeps him from higher grade at this time.
2) Todd Frazier, INF, Grade B: I like him. A nice solid hitter, maybe not a star, but should be productive. Only question is defense.
3) Chris Valaika, SS, Grade B: I like him, too. Looks like a fine hitter, even without strong plate discipline. Probably more a 2B than SS.
4) Neftali Soto, 3B, Grade B: Very impressed with his long-term potential. Could use more patience, but strikeout rate isn’t bad and he’s very young.
5) Drew Stubbs, OF, Grade B-: Where did the power go? Other skills are coming along nicely.
6) Josh Roenicke, RHP, Grade B-: Very impressive arm, could be a closer perhaps.
7) Zach Stewart, RHP, Grade B-: Strong arm, command issues, could move fast in the pen. Maybe a C+?
8) Kyle Lotzkar, RHP, Grade B-: Might downgrade to C+. Very young, tons of potential, command and injury issues. This is one of my “intuition guys” though.
9) Daryl Thompson, RHP, Grade C+: He’s a solid pitcher if he can stay healthy, a big if. I’ve liked him since I shadow-drafted him out of high school.
10) Juan Francisco, 3B, Grade C+: Enormous power potential, very young, but dismal discipline. Did reduce strikeouts last year.
11) Ramon Ramirez, RHP, Grade C+: Could rank as high as 8 depending on what you want to emphasize. Small right-hander with a strong arm, took step forward in ’08.
12) Chris Dickerson, OF, Grade C+: Tremendous tools. He’s more a .250 hitter than a .300 guy, but with speed, power, and defense. Older prospect, which limits his grade.
13) Matt Maloney, LHP, Grade C+: Another guy I have liked for awhile, could be a decent strike-throwing fourth starter.
14) Chris Heisey, OF, Grade C+: Like the speed, gets on base, could be solid fourth outfielder.
15) Sean Henry, OF, Grade C+: A bit less speed than Heisey, but with more pop.
16) Dan Dorn, OF, Grade C+: Kills right-handers, could be a solid platoon bat.
17) Dallas Buck, RHP, Grade C+: Sleeper prospect acquired from Arizona, could surprise now that he’s further away from Tommy John.
18) Robert Manuel, RHP, Grade C+: One of several guys who could slot in nicely as a middle reliever.
19) Carlos Fisher, RHP, Grade C: Considered C+, another potential relief arm with ability.
20) Yorman Rodriguez, OF, Grade C: Too young and raw to rank higher in my system. Need to see some numbers first.
21) Juan Duran, OF, Grade C: Too young and raw to rank higher in my system. Need to see some numbers first.