Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fangraphs has UZR now

Fangraphs has UZR now

The thread title says it all though I'm sure most at Redszone already have fangraphs bookmarked.

Now UZR, PMR, and even JinAz's total values and CHONES defensive projections are available for free.

Dewan's plus/minus will both be published in an updated fielding bible in January (or so-it's available for preorder at amazon) or is available on Bill James online which updates through the season ($3/month subscription).

I haven't looked at all of the Reds yet (UZR hasn't been added to team summaries yet) but UZR hated Dunn again, didn't hate EE as much as say Dewan's but it didn't like Votto as much either. UZR liked Phillips but puked in it's mouth when it looked at Keppy's play at shortstop in '08.

Here's a link to David Appelman's announcement (I bolded the part highlighting key differences between MGL's super secret data and what he can share with Fangraphs)

Quote Originally Posted by Appelman;

I’m pleased to announce that UZR (ultimate zone ratings) stats are now available on FanGraphs!

This would of course not be possible without MGL (Mitchel Lichtman), and I’m extremely grateful that he allowed us to use his fielding model. He’s put in a tremendous amount of work getting the stats ready for use on FanGraphs and I really can’t thank him enough.

Unlike other versions of UZR, the ones that appear on FanGraphs use Baseball Info Solutions location data instead of STATS location data. Also, this UZR data does not currently include outfield arms and double plays are treated as regular outs. Here are the definitions for all the UZR stats available:

DG (defensive games): The number of outs made by an average fielder at his position given the exact distribution of balls in play for that player divided by the number of outs an average player at that position makes per game.

exO (expected outs): The number of outs plus reached base errors that would be made by an average fielder given the distribution of balls in play while that fielder was on the field.

RngR (range runs): The number of runs above or below average a fielder is, determined by how the fielder is able to get to balls hit in his vicinity.

ErrR (error runs): The number of runs above or below average a fielder is, determined by the number of errors he makes as compared to an average fielder at that position given the same distribution of balls in play.

UZR (ultimate zone rating): The number of runs above or below average a fielder is in both range runs and error runs combined.

UZR/150 (ultimate zone rate per 150 games): The number of runs above or below average a fielder is, per 150 defensive games.

The UZR stats can be found in the fielding section on the player pages or in the fielding section on the leaderboards. Later this week I’ll have them integrated into the team sections. Additionally, the plan is to update these stats at least weekly during the 2009 season.
    Last edited by jojo; 12-07-2008 at 08:52 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fangraphs has UZR now

I was hoping they had incorporated it into their daily graphs. I was interested to see how much Kepp's injury affected his performance in the field. Unfortunately, no such luck.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The thread title says it all though I'm sure most at Redszone already have fangraphs bookmarked.

Now UZR, PMR, and even JinAz's total values and CHONES defensive projections are available for free.

Dewan's plus/minus will both be published in an updated fielding bible in January (or so-it's available for preorder at amazon) or is available on Bill James online which updates through the season ($3/month subscription).

I haven't looked at all of the Reds yet (UZR hasn't been added to team summaries yet) but UZR hated Dunn again, didn't hate EE as much as say Dewan's but it didn't like Votto as much either. UZR liked Phillips but puked in it's mouth when it looked at Keppy's play at shortstop in '08.

Here's a link to David Appelman's announcement (I bolded the part highlighting key differences between MGL's super secret data and what he can share with Fangraphs)
    Wow, that's like trying to read a whole different language there. I didn't understand most any of that. What can I say, I'm saber-impared. :O) *takes a bow*

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Wow, that's like trying to read a whole different language there. I didn't understand most any of that. What can I say, I'm saber-impared. :O) *takes a bow*
    The important point is that while advanced defensive metrics might not be everybody's cup of tea, they are now readily accessible to everyone.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

With Fangraphs also publishing wOBA, they are quickly becoming the go to for saber stats.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    With Fangraphs also publishing wOBA, they are quickly becoming the go to for saber stats.
    Between baseball reference, the hardball times, and fangraphs there's not a lot left to look for elsewhere.

Now when will they start charging?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

Now when will they start charging?
    You're not very superstitious for a baseball fan, are you?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Unlike other versions of UZR, the ones that appear on FanGraphs use Baseball Info Solutions location data instead of STATS location data.
    Does anybody know if there's a significant difference between the two agencies when it comes to defensive stats? I do remember in the EE discussion that somebody pointed out they measured his LD rates noticeably differently, and they're also a bit of guesswork.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Does anybody know if there's a significant difference between the two agencies when it comes to defensive stats? I do remember in the EE discussion that somebody pointed out they measured his LD rates noticeably differently, and they're also a bit of guesswork.
    They use different grid type systems to divide the field up, so they are going to have slightly different numbers of balls hit into a players zone as well as plays made within and outside of that zone because they each define the zones differently.

Turn Off Ads?