Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey and Jermaine Dye Trade Rumor (threads merged)

Re: Hal McCoy: Homer Bailey traded for Jermaine Dye....Or Not.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Hal reported it as a rumor. It was Redszone that ran with it.
    You left out this part:

"The deal is done and will be announced this week."
    So, no, Redszone didn't run with it. I reported what Hal wrote.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Hal reported it as a rumor. It was Redszone that ran with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal McCoy
    A major-league source close to the situation told The Dayton Daily News on Sunday, Dec. 7, "The deal is done and will be announced this week."

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    You left out this part:

So, no, Redszone didn't run with it. I reported what Hal wrote.
    I agree. This was a step above a rumor no doubt.

Think about the Bottomline on ESPN when it says, "Chris Mortensen reports" or "sources close to _____ tell ESPN".

I'm not a journalist, but I know the difference between a rumor and a report.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't really know about all of that. The Reds do have starting pitching depth. 1-4 is locked in in some order. #5 could be between Micah Owings, Homer Bailey, Ramon Ramirez, Daryl Thompson and Matt Maloney. If that isn't depth I am not too sure what depth is.

Dye also should hit plenty of home runs in GABP even if he is coming from another hitter friendly park.

Dye does strike out less than Dunn and hits for a better average. Dunn does walk more (by a ton) and they are about equal in RBI.

So really the only opinions expressed are that Dye plays better defense and runs better than Dunn and that the Reds have SP depth.

I can't honestly think that those are the worst opinions or worst baseball analysis you have ever read. Thats probably not even the worst Reds analysis by a beat writer over the last week.
    It's not a surplus of major league pitchers though. Not one of those mentioned has shown that they can be a productive/reliable member of a major league staff for a decent period of time.

Do the Reds have in-house options for starter #5....sure. But it is not a given and they do not have a surplus of starting pitching.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

For Hal's sake, hopefully this happens........the reality is, as much I respect Hal McCoy as a writer, being a hall of famer and all, he's slipping. He's getting to the point where he's running with anything he can get his hands on just to have a 'scoop'....that's not good for himself or the fans......nothing wrong with reporting rumor, but not as fact.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-09-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It's not a surplus of major league pitchers though. Not one of those mentioned has shown that they can be a productive/reliable member of a major league staff for a decent period of time.

Do the Reds have in-house options for starter #5....sure. But it is not a given and they do not have a surplus of starting pitching.
    You also assume other teams have that #5 guy. And while those guys may not have the best major league track record, Owings does have a full season under his belt with solid results in 2007 and all of the prospects have different levels of promise going for them. Realistically, how many teams have a #5 guy who has shown they can be productive/reliable?

And while the fact is you are correct it may not be a surplus of major league pitchers, Daryl Thompson, Ramon Ramirez, Homer Bailey, Micah Owings and Matt Maloney all have value on the trade market. That is what matters in this conversation because the comment was made with the thought that the Reds could trade a guy or two to get other parts that they need.

Dye staying put?

White Sox general manager Ken Williams began his Winter Meetings media session Monday by putting to rest any present rumors concerning Jermaine Dye's reported trade to the Reds.

"No, we have not traded Jermaine Dye to the Cincinnati Reds or anywhere else," Williams said. "There's obvious interest on (Cincinnati's part), I'm not going to deny that. That would be a lie. But as we sit here, he will be a part of the Chicago White Sox until further notice."

Further notice probably won't come this week during the Winter Meetings, but Dye still remains the most moveable piece with the highest return on the current White Sox roster. He has a limited no-trade clause, blocking moves to six teams without his approval, including the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Phillies.

Williams did have a little fun when informed it was an "insider with the White Sox" who reportedly confirmed this deal as done to the Dayton Daily News.

"Who is a White Sox insider?" said Williams with a laugh. "Somebody from Chicago that works."

--Scott Merkin

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

You also assume other teams have that #5 guy. And while those guys may not have the best major league track record, Owings does have a full season under his belt with solid results in 2007 and all of the prospects have different levels of promise going for them. Realistically, how many teams have a #5 guy who has shown they can be productive/reliable?

And while the fact is you are correct it may not be a surplus of major league pitchers, Daryl Thompson, Ramon Ramirez, Homer Bailey, Micah Owings and Matt Maloney all have value on the trade market. That is what matters in this conversation because the comment was made with the thought that the Reds could trade a guy or two to get other parts that they need.
    Realize...in the poll where we picked one area for the Reds to improve on...I picked they need to focus on that number 5 slot...be it from the outside or from within. Sure, most teams out there may not have a true #5...but do I need to run down the list of Reds #5 starters over the past few years? I'm sure by far most teams easily have better than what the Reds have put out there. And I know I'm in the minority but its my pet peeve this offseason on fixing that 5 spot one way or another...and I enjoy throwing my 2 cents in when the chance arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dye staying put?

White Sox general manager Ken Williams began his Winter Meetings media session Monday by putting to rest any present rumors concerning Jermaine Dye's reported trade to the Reds.

"No, we have not traded Jermaine Dye to the Cincinnati Reds or anywhere else," Williams said. "There's obvious interest on (Cincinnati's part), I'm not going to deny that. That would be a lie. But as we sit here, he will be a part of the Chicago White Sox until further notice."

Further notice probably won't come this week during the Winter Meetings, but Dye still remains the most moveable piece with the highest return on the current White Sox roster. He has a limited no-trade clause, blocking moves to six teams without his approval, including the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Phillies.

Williams did have a little fun when informed it was an "insider with the White Sox" who reportedly confirmed this deal as done to the Dayton Daily News.

"Who is a White Sox insider?" said Williams with a laugh. "Somebody from Chicago that works."

--Scott Merkin

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/
    That to me in GM speak tells me details are being worked on but the deal is not dead by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Realize...in the poll where we picked one area for the Reds to improve on...I picked they need to focus on that number 5 slot...be it from the outside or from within. Sure, most teams out there may not have a true #5...but do I need to run down the list of Reds #5 starters over the past few years? I'm sure by far most teams easily have better than what the Reds have put out there. And I know I'm in the minority but its my pet peeve this offseason on fixing that 5 spot one way or another...and I enjoy throwing my 2 cents in when the chance arrives.
    While what the Reds have thrown out there for the #5 spot has sucked in the past, this isn't even close to the same situation. We aren't going out and picking up guys off of the scrap heap to be our #4 and #5 pitchers going forward. The Reds currently have options of 4 or 5 guys for one spot in the rotation, all of whom have something going for them that isn't 'well, he is a groundball pitchers (Saarloos says hello)'.

They have a guy like Micah Owings who has had success over a full season in the major leagues. They have a Ramon Ramirez who has put up good numbers up through the minor leagues, throws 88-92 MPH and has a plus change up. They have a guy like Homer Bailey who has had his struggles but still has the chance to go out there and dominate at times and is just 22. They have a guy like Daryl Thompson who has come through the system throwing up very strong numbers all the way up and has good stuff and is just 22. They have a guy like Matt Maloney who has average stuff but knows how to pitch and has put up impressive numbers all the way up the system. The Reds haven't had options like that in a long, long time. These guys aren't the Saarloos's, Miltons, Fogg's, Livingstons, Dumatraits, Hudsons and so on.

While what the Reds have thrown out there for the #5 spot has sucked in the past, this isn't even close to the same situation. We aren't going out and picking up guys off of the scrap heap to be our #4 and #5 pitchers going forward. The Reds currently have options of 4 or 5 guys for one spot in the rotation, all of whom have something going for them that isn't 'well, he is a groundball pitchers (Saarloos says hello)'.

They have a guy like Micah Owings who has had success over a full season in the major leagues. They have a Ramon Ramirez who has put up good numbers up through the minor leagues, throws 88-92 MPH and has a plus change up. They have a guy like Homer Bailey who has had his struggles but still has the chance to go out there and dominate at times and is just 22. They have a guy like Daryl Thompson who has come through the system throwing up very strong numbers all the way up and has good stuff and is just 22. They have a guy like Matt Maloney who has average stuff but knows how to pitch and has put up impressive numbers all the way up the system. The Reds haven't had options like that in a long, long time. These guys aren't the Saarloos's, Miltons, Fogg's, Livingstons, Dumatraits, Hudsons and so on.
    And thats fair enough...but they have to be sure on this one...not just say "we'll just cycle through the prospects until one sticks"...otherwise it could be August 1 and we're all discussing/arguing when Maloney's finally gonna get his shot to start. Not one player mentioned is a sure thing or has a decent history to calm my nerves on this one...I'm gonna be upset if its July and the 5 spot is putting up a 6+ ERA.

Ramon Ramirez really did impress in September, and performed well as the #5 starter.He was the only #5 starter who did do well last year. I'm not even sure we need to look for any starting pitching this off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Ramon Ramirez really did impress in September, and performed well as the #5 starter.He was the only #5 starter who did do well last year. I'm not even sure we need to look for any starting pitching this off-season.
    And I've said...if the Reds do their homework and fill that spot from within, thats great. But 4 starts all from August 30th on just doesn't convince me yet...I just hope there is a well thought-out plan for that 5 spot.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

Dye on hold, Freel on the block?
    By Hal McCoy | Monday, December 8, 2008, 08:20 PM

While the Cincinnati Reds and Chicago White have had discussions about outfielder Jermaine Dye and pitcher Homer Bailey, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said there have not been recent discussions.

A soure close to the White Sox told The Dayton Daily News Sunday that a deal was imminent and could be announced at baseball’s annual winter meetings this week in Las Vegas.

“We’re not close to a deal and while we have talked to the White Sox, there hasn’t been anything this month.”

The Reds are seeking a righthanded power-hitting outfielder and Dye hit 34 homers last year. He will make $11 million in 2008 with a $12 million mutual option in 2009 - seemingly an affordable price tag with Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. off the roster.

So, the Reds and White Sox could announce a deal this week, re-visit it after the meetings or not make the trade at all.

Another available righthanded power-hitter is Houston shortstop Miguel Tejada and the Astros are searching for a young starting pitcher.

Bailey is 22 and a native Texan who resides in LaGrage.

The Reds search for a catcher could be solved if the Baltimore Orioles are willing to eat a portion of Ramon Hernandez’s $8 million contract for 2008. If they’d do that, the Reds would send them outfielder-infielder Ryan Freel.

Hernandez hit .257 last year with 15 homers and 65 RBIs.
    Thats bush-league Hal...there is a huge difference between "could" and "will be" announced, as Hal wrote yesterday...even if the deal goes down, that wording (is he trying to slip that by us as if he didn't say "will be announced") disappoints me.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Hal is really disappointing me...backpedaling makes a bad job look worse.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-09-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Turn Off Ads?