Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008-09 BCS Orange Bowl: #12 UC vs. #19 Virginia Tech

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2008-09 BCS Orange Bowl: #12 UC vs. #19 Virginia Tech

#12 UC vs. #19 Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl on January 1st, 2009 at 8pm eastern time

UC has had a series of "biggest games in their history" so far this season, and now we've finally culminated in what is now once again the biggest game in their history. UC heads to Miami with a #12 BCS ranking and a Big East Championship to take on the ACC Champs in #19 Virginia Tech.

UC has an excellent shot to win this bowl if they play well, and I actually wouldn't be surprised if they're favored to win. Mickens should be healthy and back in the secondary, and one hopes that Goodman is back healthy and able to play. My guess is Goodman will play even if he's not 100 percent, but then there will also be a chance that he could get knocked out during the game.

I'll be heading down to Florida in late December with a group of 11 as we picked up our bowl credits last week. We'll check airline flights once again, but we'll more than likely rent vehicles and drive on down. Fortunately we've got free places to stay in Florida which makes it even sweeter!

Anybody else heading down?
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Re: 2008-09 BCS Orange Bowl: #12 UC vs. #19 Virginia Tech

Early Enquirer article by Dustin Dow:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...312070021/1064

In all the 124 years of University of Cincinnati football, there has never been a gathering quite like the one tonight at Fifth Third Arena.

The Bearcats players, coaches and fans watching the Bowl Championship Series selection show knew there would be a BCS spot reserved for UC for the first time in the program’s history; they knew it was likely to be the FedEx Orange Bowl. And then, indeed, the announcement was made that UC (11-2) – champion for the first time of the Big East Conference – had been selected to play Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl in Miami Jan. 1.

The projected payout for playing the Orange Bowl is $17.5 million per team, a portion of which will make its way back to UC’s coffers by way of league revenue sharing. Harder to quantify -- but perhaps more exhilarating to UC supporters -- is the stamp of big-time relevance associated with playing in a BCS bowl game.

Three years ago when UC fled Conference USA to join the Big East, the university sold the move in part as one what would bolster its football program, which to that point had existed decidedly outside of the club of college football’s usual power players.

Tonight’s announcement, for all that was known about it ahead of time, was the latest capstone on UC football’s ascendance since joining the Big East, which has an automatic BCS bowl berth for its annual champion. Cincinnati clinched the Big East title – and thereby a BCS bowl berth – Nov. 28. Late Saturday night, the Bearcats defeated Hawaii in a non-league game. While that game had no bearing on Cincinnati’s BCS candidacy, it marked the first time that UC won at least 11 games in a season.

Of the five BCS contests, which include the National Championship Game, the Rose Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, the Orange Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl, the Orange Bowl was the final bowl game to choose its teams this season, determined by an annual rotation. Virginia Tech automatically qualified for the Orange Bowl as the Atlantic Coast Conference champion, which is guaranteed an Orange Bowl spot.

The Fiesta or Sugar Bowls could have chosen UC but passed on the Bearcats in favor of teams with more established fan bases, a consideration for selling tickets and advertising. The Orange Bowl then was required to take UC because the Bearcats were guaranteed a BCS bowl game as Big East champions.

The Orange Bowl will be the 11th bowl game for the UC program. The Bearcats are 6-4 all-time in bowl games, including victories in their past three – the Fort Worth Bowl (2004-05), the International Bowl (2006-07) and the Papajohns.com Bowl (2007-08).

The Papajohns.com victory last season against Southern Mississippi marked the second time in UC history that the Bearcats won 10 games in a season. Now, in coach Brian Kelly’s second season, the Bearcats are aiming for win No. 12.

Katzowitz blog update:

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/bl...120708aaa.html

Before FOX went on the air, BK addressed the 400 or so fans who found their way into 5/3 tonight. He said:

"For those who went to Birmingham for the PapaJohns.com bowl last year, great place, but you're not going back there this year.

And if you're wearing International Bowl gear, we're not going there either."

Instead, it's the Orange Bowl vs. Virginia Tech.

More to come..

Some quotes:

From BK: "From day one, the goal has been the same. It's to win the Big East championship and to get a chance to play in a BCS bowl game. We got a chance to see that tonight. We're really proud of that. This football team has shown all year that they play games to win. If you stayed up until 3:15 a.m. - and I don't know why you would - you could see that they love to play."

From Tony Pike: "For me, it means a lot. Growing up a Cincinnati guy and seeing the history of this football program from where you bought basketball season tickets and they just gave you football season tickets, just to see the attendance and the turnout on a Sunday night, it's definitely great to see. The buzz around this city is huge.

It's one thing to get to the BCS game, now you want to go down there and win."

From Connor Barwin (and this is why we love talking to Connor Barwin): "I've never been to Miami, but I hear they have beautiful women down there. According to DeAngelo."

I wonder how many fans there are like me who never really cared about UC football, but will pulling for them in a big way. This might sound lame to some, but I've always been a home town fan of the big time sports. I started watching Ohio State in 1984 when I was a kid, and have followed them ever since. They were the "local" team for big time college football. I didn't go to OSU, but I do feel like growin up in Ohio and my tax dollars supporting the school allow me the benefit of calling myself a full blown Buckeye fan.

The UC Bearcats were always the local team for big time college basketball, so I've been a rabid fan of them as well. When OSU would field a good team, I'd root, but never as a full blown rabid fan. UC was the college basketball team I followed, and Xavier to a lesser degree. I was never a student there, either, so I never got into the rivalry, so I never disliked Xavier. I even pulled for Miami of Ohio when they were in the tourney.

I don't think I'm unusual in that regard. I know plenty of people who root for OSU football and UC basketball, but are aren't as entusiastic abou the other program. Maybe that's lame, but that's how I grew up.

So while I won't get the same level of satisfaction as the rabid Bearcat football fans, I'll enjoy it quite a bit if they win a BCS game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Here is Virginia Tech's schedule/results this season. They are 9-4 overall and 6-3 in the ACC after defeating Boston College for the ACC Championship.
    Code:

Opponent          Opponent Record    Result
    @ East Carolina         9-4 (7-2)       L 27-22
    vs. Furman              7-5 (3-4)       W 24-7
    vs. Georgia Tech        9-3 (5-3)       W 20-17
    @ North Carolina        8-4 (4-4)       W 20-17
    @ Nebraska              8-4 (5-3)       W 35-30
    vs. Western Kentucky   2-10 (0-0)       W 27-13
    @ Boston College        9-4 (5-4)       L 28-23
    @ Florida State         8-4 (5-3)       L 30-20
    vs. Maryland            7-5 (4-4)       W 23-13
    @ Miami (FL)            7-5 (4-4)       L 16-14
    vs. Duke                4-8 (1-7)       W 14-3
    vs. Virginia            5-7 (3-5)       W 17-14
    vs. Boston College      9-4 (5-4)       W 30-12 ACC Championship Game

UC couldn't have been given a more preferable opponent...

I root for all Ohio teams when they aren't playing OSU.

Good luck Bearcats. I honestly think you guys match up quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    UC couldn't have been given a more preferable opponent...
    That's not necessarily a good thing. Sure, UC is the favorite going into the game. But UC and the conference doesn't gain a whole lot by winning it. Louisville was in a similar situation a few years ago against Wake Forrest.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    That's not necessarily a good thing. Sure, UC is the favorite going into the game. But UC and the conference doesn't gain a whole lot by winning it. Louisville was in a similar situation a few years ago against Wake Forrest.
    You guys should probably be more concerned with winning the game and not getting ahead of yourselves...

You're reading into what I'm saying if you think we're getting ahead of ourselves. We're not.

But when you are UC and you play Oklahoma, you've got nothing to lose. Against VA Tech, you've got the reputation of the school and the conference on the line even though winning the game won't silence the critics because they "only beat the ACC".

Early line out of Vegas has UC as a 2 point favorite.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Well, I am going down to Miami as long as I can get to Charlottesville, VA before the 31st.... so thats my plan even if I am not sure how I am getting there yet.

I am with paintmered though, the BE has been frowned upon for even getting a BCS birth (although I still feel if say, WV were 11-2 with the same losses that no one would say anything). They win and its 'so what, that team had 5 losses by seasons end' and if they lose its 'the big east sucks and doesn't deserve a BCS birth'.

Tickets are now on sale. I just ordered mine. And now it looks like the server is hosed.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-08-2008 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Tickets are now on sale. I just ordered mine. And now it looks like the server is hosed.
    If I read things correctly, then those of us with bowl credits should be ok. I believe the seating priority was like this:

1) season ticket holders
    2) bowl credits (in order of date you ordered credits)
    3) everyone else

So long as you're either a season ticket holder or you've already grabbed bowl credits, you'll get higher priority over those people fighting for tickets right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    1) season ticket holders
    2) bowl credits (in order of date you ordered credits)
    3) everyone else
    From UCATS:

"In accordance with the UCATS priority points system members of the Director's Society and the George D. Smith Society will receive first priority followed by UCATS members in descending priority points order. They will be followed by non-UCATS season ticket holders and individuals that have recently purchased the bowl credit (priority given to order date)."

You can join UCATS for $50 and jump to the front of the priority line.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-08-2008 at 10:05 AM.

Turn Off Ads?