Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

The media workroom isn't even half filled, but that's because it holds the same amount of seats as you find at Camden Yards. And yes, there's a joke in there somewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if catcher Ramon Hernandez is dealt this week, though the Orioles are expected to be busier after the meetings.

It's possible that they won't have to eat as much of his contract as originally anticipated, because one of the interested teams also is looking to dump salary. In return, the Orioles would get a utility-type player who could move from the infield to the outfield.

The Cincinnati Reds and Houston Astros are two teams looking for a catcher
    http://masnsports.com/2008/12/catch-a-falling-star.html

Freel fits the above description.I don't know how reliable this is, but I thought it was interesting. I wouldn't mind moving Freel, especially if it would fill a position of need.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Rumor- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

How is this a rumor?

Speculation is not rumor.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Ramon Hernandez Contract Exchange?
    By Tim Dierkes [December 8 at 12:21pm CST]
    According to Roch Kubatko of MASN Online, one of the teams interested in catcher Ramon Hernandez would like to swap contracts. The team would send the Orioles a utility guy who can play the infield and outfield.

Kubatko goes on to note that the Reds and Astros are looking for catching. Connecting the dots, Kubatko may have been talking about Ryan Freel above. Hernandez has $9MM left on his contract, while Freel has $4MM.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Makes more sense than speculation, as those dots are easily connected.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Makes more sense than speculation, as those dots are easily connected.
    Yeah, but when I read the word RUMOR, I usually see some citing of sources and specific names.

I know we could connect the dots, but it doesn't really elicit much else. Not more than what we usually do around here, anyway.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

How good defensively is Hernandez these days? If he's still above average then I would definitely do this deal.

I'd rather have Shoppach, Snyder, and Schneider in that order...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'd rather have Shoppach, Snyder, and Schneider in that order...
    I could think of several other catchers I'd rather have, but I like acquiring him for freel alone and saving chips for a SS or LF deal

If this happens I'll eat something that's been in extreme close proximity to my butt.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    If this happens I'll eat something that's been in extreme close proximity to my butt.
    Back hair??
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Back hair??
    You name it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Can you narrow it down a little more?
    Last edited by Rojo; 12-08-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Re: Trade Idea- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

I like the idea of trading off Freel in order to get a catcher, I'm just not sure of Hernandez's fielding ability. Can anybody clue me in on how he ranks defensively?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Freel for Ramon Hernandez?
    Posted by JohnFay at 12/8/2008 6:05 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

Here's the first decent rumor I've heard: The Reds and Orioles are talking about a Ryan Freel-for-Ramon Hernandez trade.

It makes sense: The Orioles would like to move Hernandez's $8.5 million salary. The Reds would like to move Freel's $4 million salary. The Reds are looking for a front line catcher. The Orioles need outfield and utility help.

Hernandez, 32, hit .257/.308/.406 last year. He did not have a good year defensively.

Stay tuned. May be nothing, but I've heard from people on both sides. That's usually a good indication that something is happening.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

I know he doesn't throw very well and is injured a lot. Didn't he have a major collision at the plate with Jermaine Dye several years ago?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

If Freel gets traded, who platoons with Dickerson in CF?

Turn Off Ads?