Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Re: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I've looked at Ramon's hit chart for 2008 in Camden Yards, and I'd say the answer may be yes. It looks like he does a real good job going to RF, and he showed solid power to RCF, particularly tending to the CF side of RCF, where Camden is a lot deeper than GAB. I think he's got a decent chance to get back over 20 HR. From the few highlights I've seen of the guy -- I have seen very little of him over the years -- he's got a solid, compact stroke with quick wrists. I'm optimistic about what he'll do at the plate.
    Hey, scouting, nice job.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't think there's been one coming from you, but the way I've read a number of posts in this thread is there's a concealed rubber chicken poised to whack folks over the head.
    I haven't gotten the same sense.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I haven't gotten the same sense.
    So said the man holding the rubber chicken behind his back.

This thread has been an entertaining read, that's for sure.

Since I know my intentions unequivocally, I can state unequivocally that I neither own a rubber chicken nor did I intend to whack someone with one either intellectually or otherwise.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Since I know my intentions unequivocally, I can state unequivocally that I neither own a rubber chicken nor did I intend to whack someone with one either intellectually or otherwise.
    Now hold still while I flog you with an intellectual chicken!

Pullus ergo sum!

Sorry, you put an irresistible image in my head.
    Last edited by M2; 12-12-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Everyone should have a rubber chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The more money the O's send the better the deal, obviously. But chipping in prospects and cash to marginally improve the catching while diminishing the outfield depth doesn't exactly fire up my dopamine.
    It all depends. I think the lack of catching depth was more urgent than the lack of OF depth. I agree, we are very thin on the OF and that needs to be addressed.

Frankly, I was writing off Freel due to his injury last season anyway.

I really don't care about the two marginal prospects we gave up at all.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

So is the argument that the Reds didn't get better at catcher while spending less a season than they would have for Freel?

I'd love to know the number of those kinds of deals currently practicable in MLB. I'd wager maybe none.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It all depends. I think the lack of catching depth was more urgent than the lack of OF depth.
    Yes, but Hernandez's contract is pretty bad -- the kind of contract most of us would ***** about, the kind most teams just look to dump.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He's an A's fan. You're a Mariners fan. Nothing wrong with that!
    I'm an A's fan??? Ohhhh-kayyyyy...

No, Steel's bias is not non-Reds. He's a great Reds fan. It's a non-Reds GM bias. No Reds GM can make a move of which he will approve.
    Considering the crap the Reds have had at GM for quite some time and the percentage of moves they made that were simply awful, I can see how you'd get that impression. That being said, do you actually think I dislike the acquisition or Ramon Hernandez or do you think that I like it, with reservations? It's a gray world, rather than black and white after all.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I'm an A's fan??? Ohhhh-kayyyyy...
    It's OK. Really.

It's a gray world, rather than black and white after all.
    That's MY line.

do you think that I like it, with reservations?
    Yes. But I don't think the reservations amount to anything, given the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Yes, but Hernandez's contract is pretty bad -- the kind of contract most of us would ***** about, the kind most teams just look to dump.
    Assuming 3 million came back from Baltimore, that means Hernandez is costing the Reds $5 million next season. Not a problematic contract at all.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Assuming 3 million came back from Baltimore, that means Hernandez is costing the Reds $5 million next season. Not a problematic contract at all.
    No, but could the Reds have gotten the same production from Hanigan anyway? I don't know, but the projections seem to indicate so.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Re: Trade Rumor- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    So what happened with this? ...are you taking gambling lessons from FCB?
    I'm just gonna pretend I didn't say it.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?