Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Laird a Tiger

Laird a Tiger

For two minor league prospects. Detroit sent right-handed pitchers Guillermo Moscoso and Carlos Melo to Texas for Laird, who batted .276 in 344 at-bats last season with 24 doubles, six homers and 41 RBIs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3753742

Thank goodness. I really was hoping the Reds wouldn't aquire him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Laird a Tiger

For that price, I would have taken him. Drove me crazy to see people bandying about Homer for Laird proposals, however.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

I really didn't care to acquire Laird, BUT...the reds are said to be "in on" all of these players who are traded and free agaents who are signed, but they lose out every time. It is getting a little bit sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    I really didn't care to acquire Laird, BUT...the reds are said to be "in on" all of these players who are traded and free agaents who are signed, but they lose out every time. It is getting a little bit sickening.
    it's walts job to look at all of the options available but just because a player is considered doesn't mean he would be a fit.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

I am not really upset by this even though the Reds are in a need of a catcher, whether to start ahead of Hanigan or back him up, they still need one. Laird was a decent option, but I think they can do better. I read on MLBTR that there is some interest in Kelly Shoppach.

If they are set with Hanigan as the starter I could the Josh Bard signing, that was rumored right after the World Series, happening. I think their still feeling out the market for a catcher and if they can get better than Hanigan, they will, if not, they will go with Hanigan and sign a guy like Bard to back-up.

Pretty much a meaningless trade, I suppose the Tigers need someone since getting rid of Pudge. Didn't they have Inge fill in last year after Ivan left?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    it's walts job to look at all of the options available but just because a player is considered doesn't mean he would be a fit.
    Yes, dear.

i think they should inquire about the cost of Saltalamachia. He is rumored to be available still.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    There is nothing sickening about this. Laird isn't much better than what we have, he would not have been worth trading for. I also suspect that a lot of the deals you hear the Reds are involved in is nothing more than smoke screens or Walt driving up the price on players. Remember he is a saavy veteran GM. My guess is the deals that will happen are the ones you aren't expecting. Even the Dye deal will probably happen after most of us feel that it fell apart.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Davis 44 View Post
    There is nothing sickening about this. Laird isn't much better than what we have, he would not have been worth trading for. I also suspect that a lot of the deals you hear the Reds are involved in is nothing more than smoke screens or Walt driving up the price on players. Remember he is a saavy veteran GM. My guess is the deals that will happen are the ones you aren't expecting. Even the Dye deal will probably happen after most of us feel that it fell apart.
    Agreed, Laird wasn't going to do anything for the Reds but continue the Journey man Catching merry go round for the past few years...

Move on, Glad Laird isn't a Red and his probably 3 Million Dollar salary...

...the greatest trick the devil ever pulled off, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Davis 44 View Post
    Yes, I agree with you. I didn't want Laird either. I was referring to the so-called Dye trade and all the other rumors that had no legs in this off-season. The reds really need to fill some holes and it just seems like they never get anything done.

like i stated in another thread, I honestly believe we end up with Furcal and Dye. I think patience is a virtue. We all want it right now, but usually the longer it takes to get something done the cheaper the player is.

Turn Off Ads?