Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 realistic moves

Re: 3 realistic moves

Stubbs and Maloney for Izturis? No way. He's decent but not that good. You could easily get Erick Aybar for that price.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is Aybar that much better? if so that's cool with me.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Is Aybar that much better? if so that's cool with me.
    He's three years younger than Izturis and has more potential with the bat IMO.

Homer to Chi for Dye to Atlanta for Escobar.

Sign Adam Dunn, 3 years 45 Million

I'm saving the third move until later.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He's three years younger than Izturis and has more potential with the bat IMO.
    But you really believe the Angels will trade off Aybar their future at SS for Stubbs and Maloney? If so I am all for it, I don't see it, but I do think that they would take less for Izturis who is an ideal bridge to a future stud SS for us.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    But you really believe the Angels will trade off Aybar their future at SS for Stubbs and Maloney? If so I am all for it, I don't see it, but I do think that they would take less for Izturis who is an ideal bridge to a future stud SS for us.
    For the right price they will. He's more potential than production right now. And they have Brandon Wood and Izturis in house to replace him.

Gosh, all this Adam Dunn talk, you'd think he was the next Chris Denorfia

Sign Ronny Cedeno from the non-tender list for SS. Sign him and pray he's more AAA stud than major league disappointment. My bet is he's a possible leadoff hitter if given the spot and told to work it out. He may blossom under Dusty. If he's crap, there are a ton of back-up options, from Keppinger to AGon to Janish. (I still like Rosales as an offensive SS, but wonder about the range.)

Trade Bailey and Arroyo to Texas for Marlon Byrd and Taylor Teargarden. Start Teargarden at C, with Hanigan backing him up. He'll be expensive, but the combination of two erswhile aces (the Rangers could sell it that way, anyway) for a catcher and a glorified fourth OF looks like a steal. (Hell, it probably is overpaying, but I like young, cheap catchers and Cincinnati has nothing in the pipeline even remotely looking like an even bet to succeed at AAA, let alone the major league level. Byrd, too, is a valuable chip, as he would platoon with Dickerson in CF and play a day or two a week in left and right field. He's a solid bat and a good glove in any of the three OF spots. I think the Reds could net him about 450 ABs this season. He's fairly cheap as well.

Sign free agent OF Rocco Baldelli to a two-year, $8 million contract with incentives that push it to $15 million, if earned. No one seems to be on the former top prospect. I'm a big believer in his new regime of medication and he's a workout horse, so you know he'll be in great shape. Too, he's outstanding with the leather, a true CF. My guess is that he breaks out in the GABP offensively an shows enough speed to net a 30/30 season and Comeback Player of the Year honors.

That's a lineup of:
    Cedeno SS
    Dickerson/ Byrd CF
    Votto 1b
    EdE 3b
    Bruce RF
    Baldelli LF
    Phillips 2B
    Teargarden C

A rotation of:
    Harang
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Owings
    Ramirez

If I could have another move, I'd look to an expensive stop-gap #3 starter, or even bust the bank with Ben Sheets (4/ $17 million per year) and pray for health.

1. Homer Bailey for Jermaine Dye; Dye and $5MM for Yunel Escobar (Braves need $ to sign Burnett and Furcal)
    2. Joey Votto for Alex Rios
    3. Chris Valaika and Daryl Thompson for Adrian Beltre (EdE goes to 1B)

SS Escobar
    LF Rios
    RF Bruce
    3B Beltre
    1B Encarnacion
    2B Phillips
    C Hanigan
    CF Dickerson

SP Volquez
    SP Harang
    SP Cueto
    SP Arroyo
    SP Owings
    Go BLUE!!!

I think Rios is decent, but over-hyped. I wouldn't deal Votto for him.

1a. Deal Bailey for Dye (CHW)
    1b Sign Furcal
    2a. Deal EdE for Sanchez (SF)
    2b. Deal Arroyo, Francisco and Reoncike for Beltre (Sea)
    3a. Deal Freel for Ramon Hernandez(BAL)or for Snyder, Montero, Soppach or Snyder if they can be had for minor leaguers
    3b. Sign Dennis Reyes, Arthur Rhodes, Joe Beimel or Wil Ohlman

CF Dickerson/Hairston ?
    SS Furcal
    1B Votto
    LF Dye
    RF Bruce
    3B Beltre
    2B Philllips
    CA Hernandez/Hanigan

Bench:

RH PH
    Keppinger
    Castillo

Rotation:

Volquez
    Harang
    Sanchez
    Cueto
    Owings/Ramirez

Bullpen:

Owiings/Ramierz/Masset
    Lincoln
    Reyes/Rhodes/Beimel/Ohlman
    Weathers
    Bray
    Burton
    Cordero
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-08-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I think Rios is decent, but over-hyped. I wouldn't deal Votto for him.
    Gold glove-quality defense in RF, fastest RF in baseball, consistent BA hitter, great gap power. There isn't a 1B in baseball I wouldn't trade for him outside of Albert Pujols.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

You guys really think it takes a multi-year deal to sign Juan Rivera? He's barely played the last 2 seasons, and hasn't hit very well when he has played. I was actually thinking he might be one of the guys stuck having to take a minor league contract.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    You guys really think it takes a multi-year deal to sign Juan Rivera? He's barely played the last 2 seasons, and hasn't hit very well when he has played. I was actually thinking he might be one of the guys stuck having to take a minor league contract.
    Acutally I think there is an outside chance if you offer him LF no strings attached he may take a 1 yr deal so he can have the opportunity to prove himself and become a FA again next offseason. How about a 1 yr deal with a mutual option (both have to accept) and in this case I think it works for both. And I think 8 million is what it would take at most for both years 3.5 in '09 and the option for 4.5 in '10.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Acutally I think there is an outside chance if you offer him LF no strings attached he may take a 1 yr deal so he can have the opportunity to prove himself and become a FA again next offseason. How about a 1 yr deal with a mutual option (both have to accept) and in this case I think it works for both. And I think 8 million is what it would take at most for both years 3.5 in '09 and the option for 4.5 in '10.
    Given the economy, there may a number of players who take one year deals and give Free Agency a whirl next year in hopes the economy (and the baseball market) is in a better place.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Given the economy, there may a number of players who take one year deals and give Free Agency a whirl next year in hopes the economy (and the baseball market) is in a better place.
    Very True, probably a lot of those deals will be in January I'd imagine.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?