Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Hal McCoy and his 0-fers--why can't he get it right?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Some people don't like him and try to dupe him into looking like a fool.

8 17.02%
  • He's lazy.

4 8.51%
  • He's overzealous about getting a "scoop."

29 61.70%
  • His sources are old.

6 12.77%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is Hal McCoy always wrong?

Re: Why is Hal McCoy always wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    What if the source was someone well-connected who had provided correct information before? Without knowing what his scoop was based on, it's silly to place all the blame on Hal.
    It all comes back to Hal. If his source is such that it can't be announced then Hal has to take the hit for it and that's exactly what's happening

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I really liked it during the Fastball.com days when he told us that Delino DeShields was going to be the 2nd baseman for the Reds.

Good writers don't spend their careers at the Dayton Daily News.
    Correct.... only people that work at the New York Times are good writers...

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    semantics. plain and simple in either case, the trade cannot be completed without player approval. and as a courtesy, GM's almost ALWAYS go to the player first.

And as far as Marty being the "Face" (voice would be more accurate) um, no. The face is a player, and right now, that is in flux. Marty may be the voice, be he hardly promotes the team. Trashes it? yes, he does that a lot.
    I'm sorry, it's not semantics--it has had a very real effect on trades. Griffey was not contacted as a courtesy before he was traded. He was told a trade was in place and had three days to decide whether to leave or not. If he had a no trade clause, Griffey would have had to volunteer to waive those rights before a deal was struck. A team cannot ask a player to waive his no-trade rights, or any other right in his contract, as it is a violation of the collective bargaining agreement. As well, a team cannot strike a deal using a player without having the waiver in hand, as one deal can effect another with a different team, and GMs could use no-trade players to manipulate the market. 10-5 players are entirely different and are MUCH more capable of being traded than players with a no-trade clause. Had Griffey had a no trade clause, Hal would have been correct in telling readers to "get off" the idea of trading Griffey. The fact is Hal didn't know the details of Griffey's situation, which did allow a trade to happen. Marty is a radio broadcaster, but the Reds lead with his image, and he is the most recognizable part of the franchise. He is on every caravan, front and center at Redsfest, and is the first guy the media goes to when a major Reds event happens.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I wonder if Hal's pretty ticked that he's not in LV...It's pretty hard to do the things Fay is doing (interviewing Dusty, giving us the heads up on the Orioles deal for Freel) if you're sitting in Dayton. With Hal's eyesight I don't know how well he texts...Seems to me the Winter Meetings would rank as a must for a sportswriter to be there in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wonder if Hal's pretty ticked that he's not in LV...It's pretty hard to do the things Fay is doing (interviewing Dusty, giving us the heads up on the Orioles deal for Freel) if you're sitting in Dayton. With Hal's eyesight I don't know how well he texts...Seems to me the Winter Meetings would rank as a must for a sportswriter to be there in person.

Yeah, I think I'd rather be in Vagas than Dayton.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Correct.... only people that work at the New York Times are good writers...
    Pretty much is the way it seems these days. Just 20 years ago there were many papers that could boast a great read in more than a few sections of the paper. Now a days more often than not it's all content purchased and placed. And a lot of the hard news, travel section and opinion stuff seems to be coming from the NY Times and a few of the others that haven't become a shadow of their former self (Like the La Times and the SF Chronicle)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pretty much is the way it seems these days. Just 20 years ago there were many papers that could boast a great read in more than a few sections of the paper. Now a days more often than not it's all content purchased and placed. And a lot of the hard news, travel section and opinion stuff seems to be coming from the NY Times and a few of the others that haven't become a shadow of their former self (Like the La Times and the SF Chronicle)
    I think a big part of that is the good writer's can't stay at the smaller paper's anymore and make jack squat, writer's like Hal that have been around for years being the exception. The newspaper industry is dying a very quick death, and it's sad to see.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Good writers don't spend their careers at the Dayton Daily News.
    Hmmm. Let me see...

Hal McCoy is the third Dayton newspaperman to win the J.G. Taylor Spink Award, joining Si Burick (1982) and Ritter Collett (1991).

I believe Collett was with the now defunct Dayton Journal Herald, but just sayin'. Cincinnati is a baseball town. Dayton is a mere 45 miles from a baseball town. Good writers do spend their careers in Dayton. Three of them were good enough to have their names put in Cooperstown by their peers.

Now many can continue bashing a man who has dedicated his career to the following/reporting a team you all love. Hell, you all spend countless hours here. No shame, no shame.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 12-09-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?