Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Laynce Nix, minor league deal.

Reds sign Laynce Nix, minor league deal.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    Posted by JohnFay at 12/15/2008 5:41 AM EST

The Reds signed Laynce Nix to a minor league contract. Or at least his agent e-mailed me and said they had. Nix, 28, has been hampered by injuries the last couple of the years. He played a total of 39 games in the big leagues the last four years.

He's a lifetime .235 hitter in the big leauges in 875 at-bats. He can play any of the three outfield positions.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Laynce Nix, minor league deal.

At least its a minor league deal. Speaking of signing OF I woulod rather have Gathright over Taveras.

uh...who???

Isnt that the guy who got beaned in the eye during the olympics or last WBC?

Anyways Dewayne Wise, AAA filler worst case scenario type.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Not bad. He had a decent start to his career and showed some pop. Low-risk signings like that are what create competition in spring training.

How nice would a Ryan Ludwick like breakout season be?

Anybody see the stats that Victor Diaz is putting up in the dominican league? He had a good year in AAA and has a bit of pop from the right side. I'm not sure how his numbers are against lefties but he would be a guy I would like to see the reds give a minor league deal with an invite to ST.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Things are finally starting to take shape...
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Signings like this are pointless to me. If Laynce Nix ends up getting ABs at the major league level the 2009 season is lost. Don't sign Nix or Taveras. Why? There is no future in either of these players. Pull someone already in the organization - such as Dorn or Stubbs or Henry or Cumberland - up in case of injuries etc. Nix Nix please and free Willy (Taveras) while you're at it, Walt. If either or both of these players are on the 25-man roster I can think of a Who song that would sum up that situation nicely. Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. Please let us not get fooled again.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Wow, that's quite an admonition for a minor league signing and a rumor of a possible future signing.

I think this is a "tip your paperboy" signing. The analogy is if you tip your paperboy a dollar or two a month he may do nothing and in this worst case scenario all you lose is a few bucks here and there. However, if the paperboy decides to take extra time out of his route to make sure he doesn't drop your paper in a puddle and take it all the way up to the doorstep it could turn out to be a few bucks well spent. Here Nix may do nothing and stay in the minors, but he could turn out to be a pleasant surprise and help the team, although I doubt it, but the chance is still there. The only thing that would worry me is the dust bag playing Nix even if he is doing crappy, but I think if he is doing bad he won't even smell the major league roster because his contract does not demand major league playing time

My fearless prediction, Laynce Nix is on the opening day roster.

Quote Originally Posted by mole44 View Post
    My fearless prediction, Laynce Nix is on the opening day roster.
    Now why'd ya have to say that??

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    At least its a minor league deal. Speaking of signing OF I woulod rather have Gathright over Taveras.
    Cubs To Sign Joey Gathright
    By Tim Dierkes [December 15 at 7:20pm CST]
    Word from WSCR 670 in Chicago is that the Cubs will sign outfielder Joey Gathright. We've heard the same from a source. Gathright, 28 in April, was non-tendered by the Royals on Friday.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Reds fans, this coupled with the Hernandez and Arthur Rhodes deals; this was our huge offseason. This is my nightmare.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?