Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice Wanted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice Wanted

After I graduated high school back in 2001, I started studying accounting. Accounting was a logical choice for me because I pay attention to detail, enjoy numbers, and hey, every company needs an accountant, right? However, within a couple years of college, I realized that accounting wasn't something I wanted to do professionally. Although I'm good with details, my attention span is just a bit too short for me to maintain interest in something that can be so tedious.

After some years of traveling and doing a lot of soul searching, I've decided that I want to return to college and study something else. The problem is, I don't know what I want to study. That's where the advice request comes in.

Like I said, I'm good with numbers, but I just don't want to do anything that involves math. It's more like a hobby for me. I want to avoid science, too, despite how interesting I find it. I thought about history, but I just don't think I have enough passion for it to make it a big part of my life. As for physical labor, I'm 150 lbs., and it's just not my thing.

I also want to avoid philosophy/religion (I have some interest but not enough), health care, engineering, law, management, sales (although I made a killing when I used to do it), business, mechanics, computers (again, I have some interest but not enough), and many of the other, typical options.

Anyway, I'm hoping to do something involving creativity. I always sucked at drawing, painting, etc., and I'm not interested in that anyway unless I could do something similar to http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/ .

Here's what does interest me. I like other cultures. I worry that any culture could get boring after I spend a lot of time with it, though, so I don't want to specialize in any one culture like Russian Studies, for example.

I like languages a lot. I'm not sure why, but I just do. I studies Spanish in high school and really enjoyed it, and I enjoyed speaking Spanish with Mexican cooks that I used to work with. I've been studying German for almost a year, and everyone compliments me on how well I speak. "That's the best I've ever heard from an American!" is pretty faint praise, though. I've also had compliments on my French, even though I've never studied it in a school.

I like writing a lot, too, which is odd because I hated it more than anything when I was younger. I could see myself doing it on a regular basis, but I'm not a big fan of reading, so I don't see myself ever getting any sort of writing degree.

I love music. I'm decent when it comes to playing instruments, but I'm not good enough at any instrument to carry me through anything. I do consider myself to be a pretty good song writer, but I might be better off if that stays as a hobby. As for music engineering or something like that, I could do it and be satisfied because I would always be around music, but working in a studio isn't a passion of mine.

I also enjoy cooking. I have almost no experience with it even though my family has a long history with it. I guess I didn't get the gene or whatever, but I'd be interested in learning more about it.

Finally, I enjoy acting (but I don't have enough energy to be good), comedy (but I just don't like doing standup because I hate people expecting me to be funny all the time), and broadcasting (I have some experience with it and have done very well, but the available opportunities are so slim, and I'm neither clean-cut nor distinguished).

Anyway, I was just wondering if someone could give any general advice. In other words, is there a field that I'm not considering that I should? If I'm interested in doing something that I mentioned, where would be a good place to start? Please keep in mind that I have pretty much the world's worst grades and would have difficulty being accepted into just about any school.

Re: Advice Wanted

You might be interested in anthropology.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    You might be interested in anthropology.
    I just read some online articles about it, and it looks like it's not for me. I have a heavy interest in psychology, for what it's worth, but once again, it's not something I want to base a career on.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I just read some online articles about it, and it looks like it's not for me. I have a heavy interest in psychology, for what it's worth, but once again, it's not something I want to base a career on.
    You might consider sociology as well.

As for political science, I majored in it as an undergrad and am a poli sci PhD student now, so I can answer any questions you may have about it.

You might consider sociology as well.

As for political science, I majored in it as an undergrad and am a poli sci PhD student now, so I can answer any questions you may have about it.
    I have a general interest for PoSci and sociology, but it's not something I want to build a career around for some reason. Certain parts of the fields interest me very much, but other parts don't interest me at all. I've been thinking about it, and I just don't think it's the field for me. I'll still read up on it, though, and make a more concrete decision later.

John Fay needs an editor. Desperately.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    John Fay needs an editor. Desperately.
    That would be my dream job. I'd love to be a Reds writer who is known for his accuracy and grammar.

what about Political Science? Lots of opportunities to learn about other cultures, languages, lots of options to go from there...

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    what about Political Science? Lots of opportunities to learn about other cultures, languages, lots of options to go from there...
    I'll second that. Then go into the Foreign Service. After that, you can become the next Rick Steves.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    This intrigues me a little. I'll look into it more. Do you have any experiences with it?

This intrigues me a little. I'll look into it more. Do you have any experiences with it?
    Unfortunately no, but it just seems like with the non-arts related things that you listed, there are plenty of areas that could branch into..

You could be a teacher, get involved in government and or various different advocacy agencies, own a baseball team (Kevin McClatchy of the Pirates, found that on Google), travel companies, etc.

Someone mentioned Rick Steves, but I'd be pretty happy taking Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel's job...she's done some cool series about Europe and Central/South America...

In about another week or so, I'll have a grad degree in Political Science, so here's what I can tell you:

At the grad level, the quantitative stuff is pretty rigorous. If you can make it through the initial methods class(es), you can get into the good stuff, where you'll either gravitate towards American or the Comparative/International side of the discipline.

(Or if you're a true sadist, you'll get into the Methods.)

I went into the program for some different reasons for most. However, in your case, it might open some doors and get you thinking about some things that most folks don't really consider. Things like interning for an elected official, getting involved with a lobbying group, working with a non-profit legal group, etc. See how law is made, how the judicial system works, see how a regulatory agency works, that kind of thing.

If you'd be going back at the undergrad level, a Bachelor's in Political Science would be a nice way to get yourself into a Masters in Public Admin program at the graduate level. There are a gazillion opportunities in government branches/agencies when you look at county, city, state, and federal levels. The MPA would also serve you well at a nonprofit / non-government organization.

As for the timing of everything, I'd say that this is the perfect time to start a program. Governments are slashing budgets in response to the crappy economy. Most signs point to a rebound some time in 2010. If that holds, then you'll start seeing most government agencies begin filling the positions in 2010-2011 that they are currently holding vacant or eliminating. With a degree in sight and an internship under your belt, you'd be hitting the market at a good time to find a full-time job with a lot of long-term potential.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Based on the crap they have to read and the state of their job market, I'd say the sadists go into theory. :

Based on the crap they have to read and the state of their job market, I'd say the sadists go into theory. :
    Ah yes. Theory.

Given the choice between Methods and Theory, I think I'd choose...a bullet to the skull.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    In about another week or so, I'll have a grad degree in Political Science, so here's what I can tell you:

At the grad level, the quantitative stuff is pretty rigorous. If you can make it through the initial methods class(es), you can get into the good stuff, where you'll either gravitate towards American or the Comparative/International side of the discipline.

I went into the program for some different reasons for most. However, in your case, it might open some doors and get you thinking about some things that most folks don't really consider. Things like interning for an elected official, getting involved with a lobbying group, working with a non-profit legal group, etc. See how law is made, how the judicial system works, see how a regulatory agency works, that kind of thing.

If you'd be going back at the undergrad level, a Bachelor's in Political Science would be a nice way to get yourself into a Masters in Public Admin program at the graduate level. There are a gazillion opportunities in government branches/agencies when you look at county, city, state, and federal levels. The MPA would also serve you well at a nonprofit / non-government organization.

As for the timing of everything, I'd say that this is the perfect time to start a program. Governments are slashing budgets in response to the crappy economy. Most signs point to a rebound some time in 2010. If that holds, then you'll start seeing most government agencies begin filling the positions in 2010-2011 that they are currently holding vacant or eliminating. With a degree in sight and an internship under your belt, you'd be hitting the market at a good time to find a full-time job with a lot of long-term potential.
    That sounds like it would open up a lot of opportunities for me, which is something I'm really searching for, but although it interests me, it's not enough interest for me to try to turn it into a career.

Turn Off Ads?