Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice Wanted

Re: Advice Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    (Or if you're a true sadist, you'll get into the Methods.)
    Based on the crap they have to read and the state of their job market, I'd say the sadists go into theory. :

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    On a serious note, camisa, what worked for me was going down the path of what I was good at that I also kinda, somewhat enjoyed. I'm not sure how much of a help that is to you though.
    I agree with this as well. I was really interested in music and playing an instrument in high school and I was really, really good at it. I probably could have done some type of music performance type major. But I was also very good at math and science classes in high school. And while I would much rather play my instrument than solve a calculus problem, I "went for the money" and did engineering over music. I had a very good college experience and now I am sorting through multiple job opportunities with salaries that will be more than enough to support myself as I graduate next spring. Meanwhile, my two music major roommates are looking at grad school and seminary cause their job prospects are so low right now. It helps to "do what you love," but at the same time I think you need to find a career path that's in demand during this bad economy and will allow you to support yourself. Just my $.02 and all English majors (including my girlfriend) would strongly disagree.

How good is your background? FBI seems to like candidates that speak many languages.

Good with numbers + acting.... you could get into Loss Prevention. Numbers being audits, inventories, etc. Interviews, interrogation, and undercover work would go well with good acting skills.

What about working in the sports industry? Good with numbers, speaking languages, plus acting (which I assume includes great public speaking, interpersonal, all around communication, etc.) would mix into a career as a sports agent. You could go to school for Marketing with some language classes to hone your skills.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    One thing you should realize is that your experience as a student may not necessarily be an indication of what your professional life will be.
    Some stuff may be insufferable to study, but the actual practice much more interesting. Finance, in my experience, was much more interesting AFTER graduation.

Finance+Language+Travel = emerging markets/foreign securities analyst/trader/fund manager = $$$$. You could be another Mark Mobius.
    (Don't worry, Wall St will still be there when you graduate).

...and the foreign service. My sister went in to it...already in her 40s (after a messy divorce...etc). Loves it. She's just finishing a stint in Malaysia, after jobs in Argentina and Germany. Now on to Jordan.

Good Luck. I know you're going to do great.
    I always figured that, but I just can't stay focused long enough to get through it. It's not a lack of effort--I'm a hard worker--I just don't like anything to do with business at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    On a different track a bit, not far from accounting would be database administrator. You are good with numbers and seem to have a (based on some of your posts) a good feel for relationships. The pay is excellent, and the training to become a certifed DBA is relatively inexpensive. In fact you could by the MS course for about $150. average MS DBA salary is $80K and up. Oracle DBA's make a LOT MORE.
    Actually, this sounds right up my alley. My mother actually does something similar to this, but I've never bothered talking to her about it. I just assumed that someone in this profession would earn very little, and I figured it could be a backup plan at some point. I'll have to read more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Don't even think about aspiring to be a city planner, Wily Mo. And make sure you get that GPA down to a 2.0 so it's right smack in the middle of mediocrity.

On a serious note, camisa, what worked for me was going down the path of what I was good at that I also kinda, somewhat enjoyed. I'm not sure how much of a help that is to you though.
    Not to sound cocky, but I'm good at a lot of things (and bad at a lot of things, too), but I think my problem with making a decision comes from none of my interests really sticking out more than the others. Besides family and friends, the two things I enjoy most in my life are music and baseball. Unfortunately, there are very limited opportunities with music and baseball, and I just don't think I have the energy and talent to be what I really want to be. Even some of the most skilled people in the world never get.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    You might consider sociology as well.

As for political science, I majored in it as an undergrad and am a poli sci PhD student now, so I can answer any questions you may have about it.
    I have a general interest for PoSci and sociology, but it's not something I want to build a career around for some reason. Certain parts of the fields interest me very much, but other parts don't interest me at all. I've been thinking about it, and I just don't think it's the field for me. I'll still read up on it, though, and make a more concrete decision later.

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    Possibly something with travel agency, tourism, or cruises if you don't like "business"
    This interests me, but I think image is particularly important here, and I try to avoid those types of things. However, as long as I wouldn't be limited to just one part of the world, I would certainly consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    The first thing that popped into my mind was also International Business. Your description of your preferences leads me to believe that you need to interact with people. The fact that you sought the advice of the zone tends to confirm that. So, if you do get into IB, you need to be on the front line and not back in the home office.

A big part of learning a language is being unafraid to make mistakes in speaking it. It never worked for me because I am too much of a perfectionist. It sounds to me as if you are more outgoing and would be willing to take chances. Your entry into International Business should be your linguistic ability and not your business skills. In this increasingly connected world a fluent, culturally aware foreign language speaker with modest business training is more valuable than the reverse. You would be the customer contact, not the person working the numbers on the details of the deal.

I would take some junior college business refresher and language courses. The experience will permit you to reflect on this plan to see if it is really something you want to pursue. You also need to make good grades to demonstrate to perspective colleges that you have matured and become serious. Colleges understand that competent people often get poor grades initially for a variety of reasons.
    I interact well with people, but it's very easy for me if A.) they're strangers on the internet or B.) they're strangers that I will probably never see again. As for having coworkers, I get along with them, but I don't enjoy it. Generally speaking, though, I hate customers. I'm practically an expert at customer service, but I don't like it at all. Actually, I think you'd have to be crazy to enjoy it. As for business, I just don't like it.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind having an office at home. I spend most of my time with myself, and I usually avoid getting very personal with people.

Your information is particularly helpful, though, especially about colleges understanding that people mature and improve their performances. One way you helped, though, is that if I ever decide to do something that combines languages and something else, I at least know now that I'd make the languages side of it my focus.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I concur. camisadelgolf, it seems like you have the math skills and like language. While a DBA job might not be specifically for you, I'd suggest you look toward computer science. There are always jobs in that field and once you get your feet wet, the advancement opportunities are excellent if you demonstrate the kind of drive, creativity, and competency I've seen from you. That practice also involves a lot of relationship management for the top tier, so if you can speak both geek and human it's nothing but a ladder to the top of any organization.
    I've briefly thought about computer science, and it sounds like something in which I could excel, but I don't know if it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll definitely look into it, though, because certain fields that use computer science really interest me. I just wonder if I would ultimately have the brains for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    In about another week or so, I'll have a grad degree in Political Science, so here's what I can tell you:

At the grad level, the quantitative stuff is pretty rigorous. If you can make it through the initial methods class(es), you can get into the good stuff, where you'll either gravitate towards American or the Comparative/International side of the discipline.

(Or if you're a true sadist, you'll get into the Methods.)

I went into the program for some different reasons for most. However, in your case, it might open some doors and get you thinking about some things that most folks don't really consider. Things like interning for an elected official, getting involved with a lobbying group, working with a non-profit legal group, etc. See how law is made, how the judicial system works, see how a regulatory agency works, that kind of thing.

If you'd be going back at the undergrad level, a Bachelor's in Political Science would be a nice way to get yourself into a Masters in Public Admin program at the graduate level. There are a gazillion opportunities in government branches/agencies when you look at county, city, state, and federal levels. The MPA would also serve you well at a nonprofit / non-government organization.

As for the timing of everything, I'd say that this is the perfect time to start a program. Governments are slashing budgets in response to the crappy economy. Most signs point to a rebound some time in 2010. If that holds, then you'll start seeing most government agencies begin filling the positions in 2010-2011 that they are currently holding vacant or eliminating. With a degree in sight and an internship under your belt, you'd be hitting the market at a good time to find a full-time job with a lot of long-term potential.
    That sounds like it would open up a lot of opportunities for me, which is something I'm really searching for, but although it interests me, it's not enough interest for me to try to turn it into a career.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I agree with this as well. I was really interested in music and playing an instrument in high school and I was really, really good at it. I probably could have done some type of music performance type major. But I was also very good at math and science classes in high school. And while I would much rather play my instrument than solve a calculus problem, I "went for the money" and did engineering over music. I had a very good college experience and now I am sorting through multiple job opportunities with salaries that will be more than enough to support myself as I graduate next spring. Meanwhile, my two music major roommates are looking at grad school and seminary cause their job prospects are so low right now. It helps to "do what you love," but at the same time I think you need to find a career path that's in demand during this bad economy and will allow you to support yourself. Just my $.02 and all English majors (including my girlfriend) would strongly disagree.
    This is good to know, but to be completely honest, I'd rather earn $35,000 per year with a job I love than $55,000 per year with a job I hate. Maybe I'm just being naive, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    How good is your background? FBI seems to like candidates that speak many languages.

Good with numbers + acting.... you could get into Loss Prevention. Numbers being audits, inventories, etc. Interviews, interrogation, and undercover work would go well with good acting skills.

What about working in the sports industry? Good with numbers, speaking languages, plus acting (which I assume includes great public speaking, interpersonal, all around communication, etc.) would mix into a career as a sports agent. You could go to school for Marketing with some language classes to hone your skills.
    My legal background is good--I've gotten tickets for various events, but I've never been caught with drugs or committed an act of violence or anything. However, my grades in high school and college were very up and down (anywhere from Honor Roll or Dean's List to nothing but Cs and Ds or incompletes).

Anyway, loss prevention really peaks my interest, actually. I'd be in heaven if I could work in sports in almost any capacity, but as for being an agent, if I were good at what I did, I would hate myself. As for marketing, that's something I want to learn more about, but I don't want to make a career out of it. I would love to put my creativity to use and come up with ideas for commercials, though.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    This is good to know, but to be completely honest, I'd rather earn $35,000 per year with a job I love than $55,000 per year with a job I hate. Maybe I'm just being naive, though.
    Yeah, after I posted this I thought I might need to clarify what I meant. That was line of thought in high school but since I've done engineering in college I've found I really enjoy it as well. I do enjoy a lot of the analysis type problems as a whole, just not the calculus type junk you need to take before. I hated my first year of college where I had to take all straight calculus and physics type classes but I loved the last 3 years where I've taken classes in my major that combined different techniques from those early classes. I guess my point was maybe something that can give you a better career is something you might enjoy more than you think. I certainly could never put myself in a position for a career doing something I absolutely hated either, that just makes your life miserable.

Camisadelgolf,

I don't have any advice that trumps what's already been posted here but your situation does bring up a situation that happened to a family member.

She graduated from a good business school with a Bachelors in Accounting and then went to work at a major corporation in downtown Cincinnati. However after a few years she decided this wasn't working out for her. She was too much of a people person to be stuck at a desk crunching numbers all day and wasn't particularly enamoured with corporate politics either. At that point her parents paid for her to take one of those extensive tests designed to tell what you'd be good at.

To make a long story short she decided to go to Travel Agent School
    (3 month program). Shortly thereafter she began work at a nice travel agency and she is much happier.

Now let's look at the realities of this situation. Unfortunately we all have to consider the real world implications of our decisions. Bear in mind this was 20 years ago so the figures I'm going tp throw out are not current.

She left her accounting job paying her $25K/yr and took a Travel Agent job which paid $9K. Chucked her college degree and everything. This is where my sexism comes into play but as folks know, I give my opinions around here whether they're politically correct or not. I give you this also not knowing what sex you are.

It is my opinion that she never could have "politically" made that decision in the name of her happiness if she'd been male. I can't see her parents endorsing such a move had they put their "son" through an out of state 4 yr college only to have him throw away his corporate career in lieu of $9K/yr. For whatever it's worth, she agrees with me on this.

So you're not the only one who has issues with accounting as a career. You're still very young and have time to explore other possibilities. My final point is if you find a career that both pays you well and you enjoy, then you are one of the lucky ones.

Turn Off Ads?