Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traded

Traded

Turner and Waring are headed to Baltimore for Hernandez.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2008&fext=.jsp

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Traded

thanks, Redman

Best of luck to JT in Baltimore. It's a loss for the Reds -- I think he's going to surprise some people.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Wow that is incredible. That is a lot to give up for an expensive pile of mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Wow that is incredible. That is a lot to give up for an expensive pile of mediocre.
    I agree, I can deal with losing BW, but giving up Turner, who has always been one of my favorite farmhands, stinks. I had high hopes for him. But at least we got what we needed...an unmotivated, defensively challenged, expensive catcher...so that's good

Good luck to Turner and Waring in Baltimore.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

If there was ever a time to use blah as a response this is it for me.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Not really, I think it's a fair deal for both really if not lopsided in our favor slightly. Waring isn't anything more than organizational filler and Turner was at best a marginal starting 2B. We took our catching position from well below average last year to average at worst in '09 with a chance that Hernandez has an exceptional year with a much better staff throwing to him and a renewed sense of excitement not being on a bad team but on a team going up. Plus Hernandez is really playing for his '10 contract so I like it alot. Not to mention we get rid of Freel who was dead weight going into next season, good deal all around.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Good luck to Waring and Turner. Neither would have cracked the lineup of the REDS over the next 7 years as they both had much better players in front of them.

Turner was the third best 2B prospect, IMO, in the system. Not counting our still-young starting 2B in the majors. Im saying Valaika and Buchholz, not including Frazier.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

This is a good deal for both of those guys; they've got a lot better chance to play for the O's than for us in the near future--especially Waring, of course, who's way down the 3b chart. But even Turner is behind Phillips, Valaika, and maybe Richar and Buchholz.

Here what Jonathon Mayo had to say about Turner and Waring.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=bal

The Reds are deep at both positions, so it does make sense. In a way the Reds are doing both players a favor. I hate to see Turner go, but he was not going to get a shot with the Reds. He has always seemed like the kind of scrappy player who knows how to win. He will be a fan favorite. Waring has plus power but was beginning to look a little like the second coming of Russell Branyan. If he can cut down on the K's without sacrificing power, he could be a good player. Good luck to both. It has been fun following their development.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Here what Jonathon Mayo had to say about Turner and Waring.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=bal
    Reading Turner's profile all I kept thinking was Dustin Pedroia, I don't expect that but it would stink if he came out to be that good.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I wonder if Wayne had a hand in picking Justin and Brandon?

I don't like it at all

Waring is useless but Turner has a bright future

Turn Off Ads?