Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gammons: "Dunn will struggle to get $8 million from a contending team"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Gammons: "Dunn will struggle to get $8 million from a contending team"

Thoughts?

Maybe Adam would come back to Cincinnati.

Don't shoot me for holding out hope...
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gammons: "Dunn will struggle to get $8 million from a contending team"

i think we have to consider the source but for one year i'd take him at that price.

I'd like to give him $45 Million for 5 years
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

I'd want Dunn to sign with Cincinnati or Chicago (White Sox that is). He is such a good fit in chicago it isn't funny. We are going to trade dye so Dunn's bat fills that void and their defense is equally bad so no loss there. Then next year Thome leaves and Dunn slides to DH ensuring the White Sox have a LH power hitter for at least three years after Thome's departure. As for Cincy, signing Dunn gives them another power hitter and I'm not a big believer in signing or trading for a guy just because of handedness. A good LH hitter is better any day of the week than a crappy RH bat. even if it were a RH bat like Dye, Dye is getting old and who knows how much longer he will be productive. Dunn is a safer option than Dye and the reds would not have to give up Homer Bailey for him.

i can understand 2 years but 5? we'll have someone up within 2 years to play left who will cost a fraction of a fraction of what dunn will cost.

Dunn does put fans in the seats and he all know the 40, 100 and 100 stats. So I would be all for him returning. Oh course if there were other options I would have to think.

In this order
    Mags
    Del. Young
    Kemp
    Rios
    Bradley
    Dunn
    Francouer
    Dye
    Ibanez

That is very interesting if it turns out to be true. Rodriguez just signed to close for the Mets for 3 yrs at 37+ million depending on some incentives. That makes Dunn worth about 2/3 of a good closer.

Does that sound right? Rodriguez is younger and has been very good. OTOH, he is a bit of an injury risk with his mechanics. Also, as with all relievers you are paying for relatively few innings of excellent pitching. Albeit, high leverage innings.

Also, it looks like the market is weak for free agents in general. Rodriguez is closer to his prime than Rivera or Wagner and they each got more per year a couple years ago. Dunn is facing a tough market. At $8 million that puts him in the range of what the Reds will be paying their new catcher. Does that sound right?

I can not believe I could agree with Gammons on anything. But then, he is just stating the obvious.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I'm certainly not the biggest Dunn fan around but I'd jump at the chance to sign him for 8 mil. Especially because it's not my money.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

If the Reds can get Dunn to be their leftfielder for under $10M a year and less than 3 years, then they would be idiots not to jump on it. But Walt said today that the Reds have not even talked to Dunn, and that they were looking for a RH bat.

I think that is just code for them not wanting Dunn at all, since Dunn hits lefties pretty good. Urrrgggghhhh. It will be interesting who the Reds get to be his replacement and how he does compared to Dunn next year. I doubt the replacement will hit 40 homers and OPS over 900.

I guess the market for corner outfielders is really bad I heard on baseball tonight last night.

Defense compared to Power normally comes at a lot cheaper for equivalent value

sorry guys but the Dunn ship has sailed....he is not coming back

All ships land somewhere,but some sink too.I like not only for his bat,but his care of his fans,such as the little leager from Kentucky who he had in the dugout,signed balls,uniform and other things.The little leaguer only has on leg and plays his heart out daily.Some other reds players could play that by example.If you bring him back,do it for a tleast two years,or a 1 year with optioned that has to be met by his stats.But i belive Walt wavied goodbye when he left to sail.

it's not often that a player is traded and returns in the offseason. even at $8 million it's not a given that we'd be able to afford him. if hairston is back than we'll probably have $10 million left for the outfielder and reliever so the outlook of a trade for the outfielder is starting to look a little more realistic.

Turn Off Ads?