Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Find the RH bat

Find the RH bat

Save the debate about whether or not they need a RH bat. Walt clearly believes they do. He wants a RH bat for the middle of the order. It would seem that player would need to play either LF or CF (unlikely, but let's not eliminate the idea), or, conceivably, SS or third base (if they move Encarnacion to LF, for example).

So ... who will it be? We know the usual suspects:

Jermaine Dye
    Magglio Ordonez
    Pat Burrell
    Garrett Atkins
    Adrien Beltre

Who else? Guys I'm thinking about:

Xavier Nady (unfortunately, the Yanks probably don't want anything we'd be willing to offer)
    Melvin Mora (not sure if he's available, but would be an interesting option)

Others have mentioned Alex Rios. Is he available?

They could roll the dice with Jeff Francouer.

So let's find the guy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Find the RH bat

I'd like to see Walt go get a young shortstop that can play defense.

As for the outfield bat, Juan Rivera on a 2-year deal would be a solid option.

Kind of ironic that after stating the need for a RH hitting OF bat, they trade Ryan Freel.

I have to assume that trade means they're confident they can re-sign Hairston. Now they really need a couple outfielders at least. My guess is it'll end up being Jermaine Dye.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Save the debate about whether or not they need a RH bat. Walt clearly believes they do. He wants a RH bat for the middle of the order. It would seem that player would need to play either LF or CF (unlikely, but let's not eliminate the idea), or, conceivably, SS or third base (if they move Encarnacion to LF, for example).

So ... who will it be? We know the usual suspects:

Jermaine Dye
    Magglio Ordonez
    Pat Burrell
    Garrett Atkins
    Adrien Beltre

Who else? Guys I'm thinking about:

Xavier Nady (unfortunately, the Yanks probably don't want anything we'd be willing to offer)
    Melvin Mora (not sure if he's available, but would be an interesting option)

Others have mentioned Alex Rios. Is he available?

They could roll the dice with Jeff Francouer.

So let's find the guy.
    If all else is equal, I'd prefer Beltre, Dye, Rios or Rivera. Rivera might make the most sense because he would cost the least in terms of cash and prospects.
    Last edited by RedEye; 12-10-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

I don't get the Rivera thing. Other than maybe coming cheap, I don't see how he helps at all. If he's your bat between Votto and Bruce, you're in trouble. What am I missing?

I'd look into Miggy Tejada. I know he's about half the player he used to be, but he appears to still play decent defense (looking at UZR), and, like the offensive upgrade just made at catcher, he'll be a better hitter than current/past SS options.

Idea being, modest upgrades at more positions is equal to, perhaps better than, a big upgrade at 1 position.

The question, of course, is how much $$$ would Houston kick in. Something tells me they'd be interested in homegrown Homer Bailey. (Not to mention the fact they drafted Drew Stubbs out of HS and nearly signed him.)

Throw in that Tejada is good buddies with EdE and I think you have a very interesting proposition for the Reds.

Elija Dukes. Yes, I'm hyping him to death, but the Nats have a big OF glut and need pitching. Stubbs and Maloney would do the trick.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Kind of ironic that after stating the need for a RH hitting OF bat, they trade Ryan Freel.

I have to assume that trade means they're confident they can re-sign Hairston. Now they really need a couple outfielders at least. My guess is it'll end up being Jermaine Dye.
    While Ryan Freel fits the standard definition of someone who hits from the right side of the plate, he isn't the type of RH bat that this team needs.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I don't get the Rivera thing. Other than maybe coming cheap, I don't see how he helps at all. If he's your bat between Votto and Bruce, you're in trouble. What am I missing?
    In this case, Edwin would be my cleanup hitter. I think he's ready to step his game up.

Rivera is obviously no sure thing, but he's got potential. In his career as a starter he's put up a solid line of .289/.335/.474 - .809 OPS (compared to just a .656 OPS off the bench). Rivera's got the skills to hit between .290 to .310 because of his above average power and good contact skills. He'll never be a high OBP guy because of his aggressive approach but if he hits around .300 like expected then he could put up an .840 to .850ish OPS while playing good outfield defense. As an added bonus, he won't cost the Reds any prospects.

+1, Rivera would be cheap, and costs you nothing other than money. If he turned out not to be a good option, his contract doesn't hamstring you.

I'm wondering if they'll wait it out and see if they can get Burrell for cheap -- something like three years, $21 million. If Dunn is struggling to get big money, I can't imagine Burrell is finding it any different.

I'm not a Burrell fan, but I could see them trying to go that direction.

I'm wondering if they'll wait it out and see if they can get Burrell for cheap
    I'd be stunned if anything happens soon. If it does, I think it will be Dye. Trades are slow in coming together, and the undeveloped market for FA hitters has a chance to get soft, it seems.

My guess is that the shortstop acquisition ain't happening this off-season, unless it is a minor leaguer who is part of a bigger deal.

With Gonzo, Keppinger, and Janish, the Reds at least have guys who can play shortstop. If they sign Hairston they have another. Gonzo, if healthy, and Janish play good defense. And Keppinger isn't a bad shortstop when healthy. He lacks range but is sure handed. I think his injury last year hurt his play in all facets, including fielding. (I know, around here, he's viewed as awful.)

And Valaika will be at AAA getting ready for his shot at short.

While the position needs improvement, my guess is that it's not the highest priority.

Right now the team literally has three outfielders on the roster, only one of whom is a clear starter. That has to be the priority, along with lefty relief.

It doesn't look to me like, in this environment, a major restructuring of the team is happening. I think they want two more outfielders, one a major hitter, and a lefty reliever. And maybe some new backups.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-10-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Elija Dukes. Yes, I'm hyping him to death, but the Nats have a big OF glut and need pitching. Stubbs and Maloney would do the trick.
    I like your hyping of him. Big risk/big reward. Might be the kind of volatile player that Dusty would actually be really good for. Him and Bruce at the corners in the OF is a REALLY nice cornerstone.

Course, he could come here and kill someone, which would harm all of that. Hence the risk.

Still, I think it makes sense, TRF, and that price you have listed would likely be enough to intrigue Bowden...

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    With Gonzo, Keppinger, and Janish, the Reds at least have guys who can play shortstop. If they sign Hairston they have another. Gonzo, if healthy, and Janish play good defense. And Keppinger isn't a bad shortstop when healthy. He lacks range but is sure handed. I think his injury last year hurt his play in all facets, including fielding. (I know, around here, he's viewed as awful.)
    When I think of shortstop defense, range is the first thing that comes to mind. I don't care about sure handed if the guy only has fall-down range like Keppinger has. Janish is the only solid defender in the group you listed but he'd be lucky to OPS .600 in the majors. IMO shortstop is the biggest need for the organization right now.

Turn Off Ads?