Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Re: Trade Idea- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If Freel gets traded, who platoons with Dickerson in CF?

1. I'd make the trade for Hernandez. He could hit 20 homers at GABP. Wish he was a better defender, but he's an experienced catcher probably compliments Hanigan OK.

2. Freel for Hernandez is a fair swap from the Reds viewpoint.

3. If Freel goes, the Reds will have to acquire some outfielders. My guess is that Hairston signs and they deal for another guy.

4. Don't discount the possibility that Dickerson platoons in left field rather than center. Reds had numerous opportunities to play him in center in September and usually played him in left. Even with Patterson around, if you really want to try out a centerfielder, you play in center sometimes.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If Freel gets traded, who platoons with Dickerson in CF?
    Hopper? Free agent? Hairston if he is brought back?

Hairston would make the most sense.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Fay -

Here's the first decent rumor I've heard: The Reds and Orioles are talking about a Ryan Freel-for-Ramon Hernandez trade.

It makes sense: The Orioles would like to move Hernandez's $8.5 million salary. The Reds would like to move Freel's $4 million salary. The Reds are looking for a front line catcher. The Orioles need outfield and utility help.

Hernandez, 32, hit .257/.308/.406 last year. He did not have a good year defensively.

Stay tuned. May be nothing, but I've heard from people on both sides. That's usually a good indication that something is happening.

I'd do it
    Go BLUE!!!

7:50 p.m. — O's trying to deal Hernandez

The Orioles and Reds are discussing a trade that would send catcher Ramon Hernandez to Cincinnati in exchange for Ryan Freel and a mid-level prospect, but the deal cannot be completed unless the Orioles pick up a significant portion of Hernandez's remaining salary, major-league sources say.

Hernandez is owed $8 million in 2009 with a club option of $8.5 million or a $1 million buyout for 2010, meaning he is guaranteed $9 million.

The possibility of a trade was first reported Monday by the Cincinnati Enquirer and other outlets.

The Orioles have been trying hard to purge Hernandez, who batted .257 with 15 home runs and 65 RBIs in 133 games last season. --Ken Rosenthal and Ed Price

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8912072

And a mid-level prospect? No thanks. I'd do Freel for Hernandez but I wouldn't throw in a solid prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

The Orioles and Reds are discussing a trade that would send catcher Ramon Hernandez to Cincinnati in exchange for Ryan Freel and a mid-level prospect, but the deal cannot be completed unless the Orioles pick up a significant portion of Hernandez's remaining salary, major-league sources say.

Hernandez is owed $8 million in 2009 with a club option of $8.5 million or a $1 million buyout for 2010, meaning he is guaranteed $9 million.

The possibility of a trade was first reported Monday by the Cincinnati Enquirer and other outlets.

The Orioles have been trying hard to purge Hernandez, who batted .257 with 15 home runs and 65 RBIs in 133 games last season. --Ken Rosenthal and Ed Price

And a mid-level prospect? No thanks. I'd do Freel for Hernandez but I wouldn't throw in a solid prospect.
    I wouldn't give 'em much either- maybe a guy like Shaun Cumberland or Brandon Waring.

I'm also starting to get concerned over all of these economic talks- I have no problem with not wanting to pay Hernandez's salary, but economics were brought up in the Dye rumor as well. I hope Castellini is not Lindner Redux.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd have to think the O's might want a SS, they have been after Cesar Izturis in FA which tells me that Paul Janish couldn't hurt to toss in but not Zach Cozart and definitely not Valaika.

It'd really be a boon if they took Kepp and Freel and maybe tossed us a prospect, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

I got it Gonzo straight up for Hernandez!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Absolutely nothing more than Freel, and even then I'm not real thrilled. That's a decent chunk of salary to take on, even subtracting Freel's salary.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Absolutely nothing more than Freel, and even then I'm not real thrilled. That's a decent chunk of salary to take on, even subtracting Freel's salary.
    It sounds like the Reds would be adding a prospect so that the salary difference would be virtually nil. I would include a Waring, Cumberland, or Rosales in order to make those salaries a wash.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It sounds like the Reds would be adding a prospect so that the salary difference would be virtually nil. I would include a Waring, Cumberland, or Rosales in order to make those salaries a wash.
    I wouldn't include Rosales but the other 2 wouldn't hurt any.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Rumors that Freel and Bailey being traded away is like an early Christmas present. And getting major league talent in return!! Lordy!!! Add Majewski and I'll know there is a Santa.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

My guess is the second player would be used as leverage for the Os to pick up the difference in salary.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    My guess is the second player would be used as leverage for the Os to pick up the difference in salary.
    Gary Majewski

Frankly though, I'd be surprised to see us trade Freel due to our lack of CH depth. I still think the Reds would be smart to consider having Bruce play CF if Dickerson isn't the guy. He may be a RF from age 24 or 25 on, but let's get the most value out of him while we can.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm not so sure I want Jocketty to do this deal now. Hernandez only threw out 19.5% of base stealers last season and just 22.7% the year before. I'd much rather go after someone like Miguel Montero or Chris Snyder, even if it means giving up Homer Bailey.

Turn Off Ads?