Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Re: Trade Idea- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

nm again.

I hope the change of scenery helps out Ramon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Done

3:28 p.m. -- Reds, O's agree on trade
    The Reds have reached preliminary agreement with the Orioles on a trade that will send catcher Ramon Hernandez to Cincinnati for outfielder Ryan Freel and two prospects, according to a major-league source.

The deal is pending the approval of the commissioner's office, because it involves a cash transaction of more than $1 million.
    Can't wait to see the specifics of the deal. If the prospects are not big names then this is a big win for my taste. Getting Hernandez for someone who I didn't even want on the roster is a pretty big deal for me. Now we can move on to seeing about a RH run producer and maybe more.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Freel+Farney+Heisey?
    The O's board would go so crazy trying to figure out who this prospect named Farney is if that suggestion got posted over there but I would laugh my head off, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Can't wait to see the specifics of the deal. If the prospects are not big names then this is a big win for my taste. Getting Hernandez for someone who I didn't even want on the roster is a pretty big deal for me. Now we can move on to seeing about a RH run producer and maybe more.
    I am curious as to what the O's fans are thinking. Most people on RZ had soured on Freel over the years and then the Reds flipped him + prospects for a starting C. Did the O's sour on Hernandez?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am curious as to what the O's fans are thinking. Most people on RZ had soured on Freel over the years and then the Reds flipped him + prospects for a starting C. Did the O's sour on Hernandez?
    Oh sure they did just check out some of Heather's posts on the subject. But Freel was just dead weight at this point IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Getting out of Freel's salary is good.

Getting a catcher with declining OBA skills and questionable defensive talent? Not so much a fan. Though, I would note that he did have an excellent '06 season (playing basically as an everday C) and a fairly good '07 -- and, as a bonus, he's spanish-speaking, which I think is good thing for Volquez and Cueto.

If the money ends up being a wash, I think it's hard to argue that the Reds didn't improve themselves significantly.

Though, the bench still remains a gigantic worry.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

So if this actually is happening, then who is the starting catcher? Still Hanigan?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The O's fans are VERY soured on Ramon due to the things I mentioned before about him being rather lazy and seemingly slacking off this past year. When he first came to the O's in 2006 though, he was a beast both behind the plate and with his hitting. He was injured for parts of 2007 and I can't remmeber if he was injured last year or not. I think he stayed healthy but I'll have to check. Anyway, he would have a big chance to prove that last year wasn't his true ability and that he can be at least a solid player for us. He used to be great with the pitchers and him speaking Spanish would be a really good thing for some of our pitching staff. I hope a change of scenery allows him to relax a bit more and just play his game again.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Update:

3:28 p.m. — Reds, O's agree on trade
    The Reds have reached preliminary agreement with the Orioles on a trade that will send catcher Ramon Hernandez to Cincinnati for outfielder Ryan Freel and two prospects, according to a major-league source.

The deal is pending the approval of the commissioner's office, because it involves a cash transaction of more than $1 million.

On Monday, major-league sources said the deal would not be completed unless the Orioles picked up a significant portion of Hernandez's remaining salary.

Hernandez is owed $8 million in 2009 with a club option of $8.5 million or a $1 million buyout for 2010, meaning he is guaranteed $9 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Getting out of Freel's salary is good.

Getting a catcher with declining OBA skills and questionable defensive talent? Not so much a fan. Though, I would note that he did have an excellent '06 season (playing basically as an everday C) and a fairly good '07 -- and, as a bonus, he's spanish-speaking, which I think is good thing for Volquez and Cueto.
    Very true, that language issue certainly is one that needed addressed. I think getting away from Baltimore will do him some good, obviously things had seriously declined in the past year or so there.

--Woody Hayes

This deal is fine be me depending on the prospect. It'll be nice to have a catcher who can carry his weight with the bat for once.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This deal is fine be me depending on the prospect. It'll be nice to have a catcher who can carry his weight with the bat for once.
    He's a crummy hitter.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He's a crummy hitter.
    He's much better than Bako, Ross or Valentin so I am fine with it.

--Woody Hayes

He's a crummy hitter.
    He's significantly better than what this team has had out of its catchers for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He's a crummy hitter.
    He hit something like .256 last year with 61 (?) RBIs and this was his down year. He tore up the place in 2006 (against AL pitching) so he's not that bad of a hitter. He's better than the two guys we had for most of last year!

Turn Off Ads?