Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Re: Trade Idea- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm also starting to get concerned over all of these economic talks- I have no problem with not wanting to pay Hernandez's salary, but economics were brought up in the Dye rumor as well. I hope Castellini is not Lindner Redux.
    Dude, this isn't limited to the Reds. Almost EVERY team (not named the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox) are taking the economic crisis very seriously when it comes to decisions for next year. The future is such an unknown right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Dude, this isn't limited to the Reds. Almost EVERY team (not named the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox) are taking the economic crisis very seriously when it comes to decisions for next year. The future is such an unknown right now.
    I understand the current economic crisis. I'm talking mainly about the Reds seeming refusal to take on any additional payroll so far.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I wouldn't give 'em much either- maybe a guy like Shaun Cumberland or Brandon Waring.

I'm also starting to get concerned over all of these economic talks- I have no problem with not wanting to pay Hernandez's salary, but economics were brought up in the Dye rumor as well. I hope Castellini is not Lindner Redux.
    I'm not sure if economics are necessarily a deal-breaker or a ploy for leverage in discussions.

We all saw the reports that said total salary could be as high as $80M this year and I saw elsewhere that the current payroll istands at about $54M (just what I read, not certain on that). If that is true, that would leave about $36M potentially free for adding contracts.

If Arroyo is dealt, that would free another $10M, EdE would free up another $3 or 4M.

That would probably be enough to absorb three salaries along the lines of Dye and Beltre or what Furcal is likely to sign for and still add a left-handed reliever in the $4M range. (Just examples)

I also think that is why they are said to be looking a Freel + prospect for Hernandez and cash. I think they are trying to zero out most of Hernadez' cost while adding a piece to the puzzle - leaving more cash to make several deals signings.

I think that WJ and BC are intent in doing their best at filling shortcomings on this roster and at least trying to compete for a Wildcard spot or make things interesting past the trade deadline.

You may argue that this team cannot compete in 09 (and you may well be right), but I don;t think Castellini believes it. I also don't think thats something he relishes taking to the fanbase, trying to sell tickets in a tough envrionment.

I think this club may wait a few free agents and/or a few clubs, but in the end I think this team makes several deals between now a Spring Training.

Whether it's in a successful bid to bring this club closer to competitveness or just a futile effort to slap lipstick on the pig to sell to the public, I think this team will end up with 5 or six new faces by the time the full squad reports to ST with at least one big surprise name.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Meh, I'm on the fence about this trade. On the one hand, Freel is a great player who's had his share of injuries (usually caused by him running into something or someone else) and on the other hand, there's a catcher in Ramon who I saw loaf to first base on groundouts, not act interested at times during games, and be somewhat lazy overall for the Orioles. If he's not our main catcher, then I might be able to tolerate seeing him become a Red but I definitely wouldn't send another prospect to the O's without them picking up a bunch of his salary and the buyout. We can't afford to add that much salary for a guy who could end up being our backup catcher.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Pull the trigger. Now if adding a B-type prospect means sending a couple of million to cover Hernandez's contract, they should do that too.

This deal seems like it has a good chance of happening.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

The economic crisis plays into a huge advantage to mid market teams. We are a mid market team correct ?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    The economic crisis plays into a huge advantage to mid market teams. We are a mid market team correct ?
    Ownership doesn't seem to concern about it so should we?

This was taken from the Baltimore Sun:

•The Orioles are in serious discussions about a trade that would send catcher Ramon Hernandez to the Cincinnati Reds for outfielder-utility man Ryan Freel and a mid-level prospect, according to sources.

The Orioles also would send cash to the Reds to help offset the difference in salaries. Freel, 32, who can play all three outfield positions and second and third base, is due to make $4 million next season, while Hernandez is owed $8 million in the last guaranteed year on his contract.

"There's been some discussions on different fronts," MacPhail said. "I wouldn't say there's nothing to it, but I have no idea - like a lot of trade discussions - of what the end result's going to be."

Um, do that trade now.

Another bidder for Ramon?
    By Roch Kubatko on December 9, 2008 12:48 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

An agent who represents one of the Orioles told me that the club is "as close as it's been" to trading catcher Ramon Hernandez.

We assume that Hernandez is going to the Cincinnati Reds, but it's interesting that the Milwaukee Brewers apparently jumped into the mix. That's what this agent was told by one of his contacts in Milwaukee. He said the Brewers regard Hernandez as an upgrade over Jason Kendall.

Kendall hit .246 with two homers, 49 RBIs and a .324 slugging percentage. He played in 151 games, an unbelievable total for a catcher.

His defense was exceptional this season, so we'll have to define "upgrade."

Again, Hernandez is likely headed to Cincinnati, but the Brewers at least were part of trade discussions at some point, and might be lurking in the shadows.

http://masnsports.com/2008/12/anothe...for-ramon.html

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

The plot thickens...this report was posted at the Baltimore Sun today.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...al_closer.html
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

From Heathers link:

Source: Ramon deal all but complete

According to a source here, the Orioles have made substantial progress over the past 24 hours on the prospective deal that would send Ramon Hernandez to the Cincinnati Reds for fourth outfielder Ryan Freel and a mid-level prospect.

There is a general manager's meeting going on right now, but it's possible the deal could be announced very soon. If there is any holdup, it could be because the Commissioner's Office will have to approve the deal, since more than $1 million in cash will also change hands to subsidize Ramon's salary.

O's president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said yesterday that he hoped to get something done at these winter meetings, and this deal would probably be it. The O's don't appear to be close enough with any free agents to get a deal done in the next two days.

Hernandez became expendable for a couple of reasons -- the first, of course, being the quick progress of top catching prospect Matt Wieters. But the Orioles had become increasingly disenchanted with his lack of intensity behind the plate. The club still is reluctant to turn the starting job over to Wieters on Opening Day, but will likely sign a moderately priced free agent veteran to share the job with him.

I would rather target a younger catcher like Miguel Montero or Chris Snyder, but Ramon Hernandez is a solid option for 2009. I was doing some more research on him and he's supposedly still a decent defender. He did struggle with throwing out runners last season but he's been solid throughout his career in that department He's also a decent hitter with some pop. He owns a career .747 OPS and career OPS+ of 96. As an added plus, he speaks both English and Spanish which should be helpful for youngsters like Cueto and Ramon Ramirez who are still uncomfortable with their English. But still, I'd much rather target a guy like Snyder or Montero.

Like the move. I don't think much of Freel anymore, and Hanigan/Hernandez is a huge upgrade over Ross/Bako/Javy. Hopefully the Reds re-sign Hairston to platoon with Dickerson next year.

Would be a solid deal, beefing up a key position by dealing surplus talent on an iffy contract (plus, I wonder how easy it's going to be for Freel to bounce back from his hamstring problem). I like that it's a contract year for Hernandez, too. The combination of Hanigan/Hernandez, if properly deployed by Baker, would bring a big upgrade over 2008 -- and, again, it hasn't cost the organization any significant talent. Nice job by Jocketty shoring up a major leak while saving resources to be used against breakdowns elsewhere along the roster.

Turn Off Ads?