Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Re: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

What's really interesting is that the O's fans are happier than us about the deal. It's unusual for 2 fan bases to be happy with a deal.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The OFFICIAL release from the Reds (gotta make it official, you know ):

REDS ACQUIRE CATCHER RAMON HERNANDEZ FROM O'S

Send Ryan Freel, Minor Leaguers To Baltimore

LAS VEGAS - Cincinnati Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty today announced the acquisition of C Ramon Hernandez and cash from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for IF/OF Ryan Freel and minor league infielders Justin Turner and Brandon Waring.

The trade was announced at the Bellagio in Las Vegas during baseball's annual winter meetings.

Hernandez, 32, last season for the Orioles made 133 appearances, including 119 starts behind the plate, and hit .257 with 22 doubles, 15 HR and 65 RBI. He hit .285 after the All-Star break.

In 10 Major League seasons and 1,118 games with the Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres and Orioles, Hernandez has produced a career batting average of .263 with 137 HR and 602 RBI. He was an American League All-Star in 2003.

The Caracas, Venezuela native has 22 career post-season appearances with the Athletics and Padres and was a member of his native country's World Baseball Classic team in 2006.

Freel, 33, last season made just 48 appearances for the Reds, including 26 starts, because of a torn distal tendon in his right hamstring that required surgery on July 23. He missed the club's last 103 games of the season.

Turner, 24, last season hit .289 with 8 HR and 42 RBI in 78 games for Class AA Chattanooga and .316 with 11 RBI in 33 games for Sarasota in the Florida State League. Waring, 22, in 119 appearances last season for Class A Dayton hit .270 with 20 HR and 71 RBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    What's really interesting is that the O's fans are happier than us about the deal. It's unusual for 2 fan bases to be happy with a deal.
    That's the "Freel hustles!" aspect factoring in.

If he isn't posting that .350 on-base percentage, they'll sour on him fast. Just like I did.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

This almost move makes me think the Jermaine Dye deal will go down. If they are willing to add an extra 3 million for Hernandez they're shouldn't be an issue with Dye's contract.

Does Hernandez hit 8th?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Does Hernandez hit 8th?
    Should he? Depends who's playing shortstop. He shouldn't be any higher than 7th though.

Will he? We're talking about teh Uncle Dusty here so he's liable to bat anywhere from 2 to 8.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Does Hernandez hit 8th?
    Depends on the SS.

If it's Janish, then Hernandez hits 7th.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    This almost move makes me think the Jermaine Dye deal will go down. If they are willing to add an extra 3 million for Hernandez they're shouldn't be an issue with Dye's contract.
    Everything written has said that the O's sent enough money back to the Reds to cover the extra salary between Hernandez and Freel. Reds added no money in this deal.

I like it. If they can get Dye for Bailey + prospect would this be the lineup vs righties?

1. Dickerson CF
    2. Keppinger SS
    3. Votto 1B
    4. Dye LF
    5. Bruce RF
    6. Phillips 2B
    7. Edwin 3B
    8. Hernandez C

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Depends on the SS.

If it's Janish, then Hernandez hits 7th.

If it's Janish, the pitcher hits 8th

I'm a fan, especially if the money is a wash. Nice upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Baltimore's been in the weeds longer than Cincinnati. Hernandez made money and the team stunk (92 or 93 losses each of the past three years). It's a never-ending cycle of "Throw the bums out!" over there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    Everything written has said that the O's sent enough money back to the Reds to cover the extra salary between Hernandez and Freel. Reds added no money in this deal.

I like it. If they can get Dye for Bailey + prospect would this be the lineup vs righties?

1. Dickerson CF
    2. Keppinger SS
    3. Votto 1B
    4. Dye LF
    5. Bruce RF
    6. Phillips 2B
    7. Edwin 3B
    8. Hernandez C
    Or

1. Dickerson CF
    2. Edwin 3B
    3. Votto 1B
    4. Dye LF
    5. Bruce RF
    6. Phillips 2B
    7. Hernandez C
    8. (Better defensive SS)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post

1. Dickerson CF
    2. Keppinger SS
    3. Votto 1B
    4. Dye LF
    5. Bruce RF
    6. Phillips 2B
    7. Edwin 3B
    8. Hernandez C
    Per MLBtraderumors:

4:34pm: MLB.com's Mark Sheldon adds that the Orioles will receive prospects Brandon Waring and Justin Turner and will send $1MM to the Reds.

I like it a lot. We get a significant upgrade behind the plate: think of it, we go from Bako-Javy-Ross in a year to Hanigan-Hernandez! And the guys we lose were, at best, pretty well blocked in the system. But moving Freel guarantees another move--either for an outfielder or a 3b with a move of EE to left. There does seem to be a plan at last. I'm still hoping the next move is for Beltre, but we'll probably have to be happy with an outfielder.

A Hernandez/Hannigan combo would be worth about 13 RC vs a Ross/Bako combo over 600 PA's.

If the Reds can upgrade 13 runs at every position, pitching remaining the same, and they'd be a 500 team.

Turn Off Ads?