Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Re: Trade Idea- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Jocketty can get in line right behind him if he signs Hairston to anything longer than a 1 year deal.
    My guess is it will take more than a one year deal to get Hairston. Especially if multiple teams are interested.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    My guess is it will take more than a one year deal to get Hairston. Especially if multiple teams are interested.
    And my guess is the Reds panic and offer way more then they should.
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Fantastic.

Then I'm happy to let someone else overpay and give a multi-year guarantee of employment on the hope that his +.60 BA spike, +.50 OBA spike, + .120 SLG spike was anything other than a career year and that his health problems will magically evaporate.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Fantastic.

Then I'm happy to let someone else overpay and give a multi-year guarantee of employment on the hope that his +.60 BA spike, +.50 OBA spike, + .120 SLG spike was anything other than a career year and that his health problems will magically evaporate.
    I agree with you. I'd let him go if he gets offered a multi-year deal elsewhere.

Re: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Brandon (Charleston): What are your thoughts on the Reds acquiring Ramon Hernandez?

Joe Sheehan: It only cost them money, as they didn't give up much, and he makes them better. Hernandez is basically an average MLB player, and those aren't that easy to find behind the plate.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...1228937771#new

What is the real deal with Ramon's defense behind the plate? I've read everything from below average to above average. Is the truth in the middle and he's basically average?

What is the real deal with Ramon's defense behind the plate? I've read everything from below average to above average. Is the truth in the middle and he's basically average?
    He kind of stinks.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    And my guess is the Reds panic and offer way more then they should.
    I don't think so. There's a new sheriff in town.

I can't recall Walt ever giving a bit player an expensive, multiyear contract.

Walt showed restraint on Affedlt. Whether you agree with the move or not, he did not panic.

Walt got Lincoln on a very reasonable deal (IMO)

Maybe Walt overvalued Weathers by offering him arb. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and Weathers does have 1 good year left. Really, Weathers is the closest accusation one can make about Walt "panicing" so far, and it's not a huge deal.

The days of Freel, Stanton and AGon type signings are over, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He kind of stinks.
    What's the point of making the trade then? Why would we want a poor defensive catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Brandon (Charleston): What are your thoughts on the Reds acquiring Ramon Hernandez?

Joe Sheehan: It only cost them money, as they didn't give up much, and he makes them better. Hernandez is basically an average MLB player, and those aren't that easy to find behind the plate.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...1228937771#new
    If Hernandez is average, and Hanigan is a young, promising catcher, the Reds have dramatically improved at that position over last year.

They may not have acquired the next Johnny Bench, but the Reds have really improved a key area of need with the advancement of Hanigan and acquisition of Hernandez.

The Reds also have to fix some other clear areas of need.

The fifth starter slot, with its 7 plus ERA, needs to be better than last year. Maybe Owings and Ramirez does that, but otherwise someone new.

And the outfield. Griffey, Dunn and Patterson are gone and Hairston is iffy. These were the four main outfielders most of last year. Bruce and Dickerson are a good start. Need more.

Finally, the left side of the infield defense, another sore spot from last year. They may have to rely on maturation (third base) and good health (shortstop) for 2009.

Hanigan's not promising. He's a spaghetti stick with no speed. What he might be is a serviceable backup if he doesn't get overexposed -- play some defense, take some BBs and put together feisty ABs when he plays. That's got its uses. Asking for more was an idea with a massive trap door and the Reds clearly recognized that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I don't think so. There's a new sheriff in town.

I can't recall Walt ever giving a bit player an expensive, multiyear contract.

Walt showed restraint on Affedlt. Whether you agree with the move or not, he did not panic.

Walt got Lincoln on a very reasonable deal (IMO)

Maybe Walt overvalued Weathers by offering him arb. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and Weathers does have 1 good year left. Really, Weathers is the closest accusation one can make about Walt "panicing" so far, and it's not a huge deal.

The days of Freel, Stanton and AGon type signings are over, IMO.
    When WK got to Cincinnati, there was a new Sheriff in Town. Same thing happened.

When DanO got to Cincinnati, there was a new Sheriff in Town. Same thing happened.

It happens to EVERY club. Everyone overpays for someone, and fans gripe. It is what it is.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    When WK got to Cincinnati, there was a new Sheriff in Town. Same thing happened.

When DanO got to Cincinnati, there was a new Sheriff in Town. Same thing happened.

It happens to EVERY club. Everyone overpays for someone, and fans gripe. It is what it is.
    I wouldn't put all three of these guys in the same boat though. To be fair Walt has been a GM of a winning team in StL. Neither DanO or Kriv have put together a winning team.

What's the point of making the trade then? Why would we want a poor defensive catcher?
    He's not a bad catcher. Defensive stats blow, but they particularly blow for complex positions like catcher.

He's a better catcher than Ross. My only concern is his age.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hanigan's not promising. He's a spaghetti stick with no speed. What he might be is a serviceable backup if he doesn't get overexposed -- play some defense, take some BBs and put together feisty ABs when he plays. That's got its uses. Asking for more was an idea with a massive trap door and the Reds clearly recognized that.
    Spot on post.

It's foolhardy to give guys like Hanigan starting jobs based on limited sample-size ABs and middling minor league numbers. If he plays his way into additional ABs, that's a fine problem to have. But, until that happens, there is no sense in holding off on acquiring better, more proven players.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?