Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Reds have talked to agents for Baldelli, Rivera, plan to talk Burrell

Re: Reds have talked to agents for Baldelli, Rivera, plan to talk Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hey osu, how come no vs. RHP numbers for Dunn and Abreu?

FWIW, I don't have any major problem with Burrell.
    A perfect example of Simpson's paradox!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Bobby Abreu would be one of the best things that could happen to the 2009 Reds lineup. Bat him 3rd and leave him alone.
    Dickerson
    Votto
    Abreu
    Encarnacion
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Hernandez

That top 7 might be good enough to allow the Reds to carry Janish at SS.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So, in other words, Walt doesn't have to worry about getting the best hitting left fielder because some fans see all this improvement coming from the current lineup. Huh?
    I would love to see Walt go out and get Matt Holliday or Manny Ramirez.... but they aren't really options. Walt said tonight that Dunn isn't likely an option either because they want a right hander. Would I rather have Burrell over a guy like Rivera? Absolutely, if they were even in terms of years/cash, but they aren't.

Right now, as I see it, there's improvement in one spot. Catcher. Period.

Centerfield is not improved. We have no idea who will be playing center field. Dickerson had a hot month for the Reds (excluding his Ks). But he played mostly left field with the Reds. The only public comment I've heard about him is Dusty saying he gets hurt a lot. So put a big question mark next to centerfield.
    Corey Patterson is not here. Its going to be an improvement. If Willy Taveras is brought in (God forbid, but its an example), center field gets better than it was last year. They are going to have to really try to make CF worse this year than it was last year.... like running Dusty himself out there.

And why is improvement due at 2B, 1B, and 3B? Yes, it's fair to say that Bruce will improve in RF, he was advanced so quickly last year. But Votto? One might expect him to plateau or maybe even step back after a strong rookie year. EE and Phillips? Nobody knows if they will have good years or bad.
    Bruce and Votto more so because of age and now experience. Edwin because of his low BABIP and getting a bit older and closer to his prime years. Phillips because he isn't likely to be misused in the lineup, which I think will help him as he won't feel so much pressure to be 'the guy'. So yeah, no one knows they will be good/bad, but there are reasons to think they will be better next year than they were this past year.

The Reds, like all teams, need a strong middle of the lineup. Right now, that middle is Votto, ???, and Bruce. I want them to add Mr. ???
    I want them to have a strong guy to go between Votto and Bruce as well. I am just not sure the type of guy we want is going to be available at the right price. We know he has to be right handed, which eliminates Abreu and Dunn. Money eliminates Manny. That leaves Burrell and Bradley on the FA market. Not to sure either of those guys fit our team's plan. Could be wrong, but I don't see it. Burrell isn't looked at as a 'run producer' by the way they seemed to view Dunn and the two are very similar hitters and Bradley has played 80 games in the outfield over the last two seasons. The trade market is the best place to look, but that leaves really only two guys that come to mind and one of them is a lefty (Hermida). So that leaves me thinking its Jermaine Dye or bust. I would love to get Dye, I am just not sure that I like the price given that he is very likely to walk after 2009.... and if he doesn't, its probably because he had a mediocre year and disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Exactly!

This goes back how many pages when I said that the Reds have yet to feel the absence of Dunn's production because Chris Dickerson isn't going to put up a 1.000 OPS (and I flat out like Dickerson - I really, really like Dickerson and want him in center field in 2009).

Dunn and Dickerson combined to hit .248/.384/.545/.929 last season. That's a big batting line, and that is what they need to replace to have a fighting chance at the playoffs should they work out their other series of necessary moves.

What people need to sit down and then think about is what kind of corner outfielder out there is going to give them the best shot at that production?
    To play devils' advocate for a minute, the most likely scenario for the Reds to improve is that Jay Bruce steps up and provides the production needed to replace that line. The Reds would need to bring somebody in that can significantly improve on what Bruce and Griffey combined for last year. That shouldn't be all that hard or require a super stud. An .800ish OPS should fill that bill.

Fact is, Votto needs to keep it up or even take a step forward, EdE the same and Bruce needs to become the monster we all expected. Those things happen (and they realistically could, but I think 2010 is when they actually will), there will be offense-a-plenty, if not, I doubt that the Reds can acquire what they need. I'd focus where the internal possibilities are much less hopeful and get that SS that can actually play that you mentioned a few posts back.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-13-2008 at 03:11 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If the Reds really want to make some hay in '09 they need a Holliday or a Manny in left and better than average in center too.
    But do you think that adding either of those 2 would = Reds in the playoffs?

I think regardless of the huge bat, we're still many other pieces away.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Dickerson
    Votto
    Abreu
    Encarnacion
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Hernandez

go with these seven then use what we have in trading chips to get JJ Hardy or Tulowitski. then you have a solid 1-8 in the order.

sign a guy like Abreu or Wiggington leaves the trading chips available to fix the shortstop position. plus they would likely provide better defense in LF than Dye.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Dickerson
    Votto
    Abreu
    Encarnacion
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Hernandez

I would bet that Janish would bat 2nd in this lineup. (See Baker, Dusty)

Jocketty on Baldelli
    Posted by JohnFay at 12/17/2008 6:04 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

Walt Jocketty heard about the new medical report on Rocco Baldelli on the radio this afternoon. It caught his interest to say the least.

A report from a Rhode Island TV station said Baldelli was misdiagnosed and that doctors at the Cleveland Clinic found that Baldelli didn’t have mitochondrial disorder. He has channelopathy, which is a treatable disease.

"It's definitely an encouraging development," Baldelli told the St. Petersburg Times from his Rhode Island home. "Knowing this is a treatable condition, I feel this is a very positive thing for me and my baseball career. With this less-severe diagnosis, I hope to be on the field on a much more regular basis."

“I haven’t talked to his agent (since report came out),” Jocketty said. “But if it’s not as critical as it was thought to be that changes the way we see him. I’m sure it changes it for a lot of clubs.”

Baldelli would seem to be a perfect fit for the Reds. He’s a right-handed hitting, center fielder. He’s only 27. He hit .287 and averaged 13 home runs and 76 RBI in his first two years in the majors before injuries, then the mysterious ailment side-tracked his career. Also from Jocketty:

--The Reds are waiting for an answer on a counter proposal that made to Jerry Hairston Jr.

--It doesn’t sound like the Reds are ready to enter the Milton Bradley derby. “We discussed it,” Jocketty said. “But we haven’t contacted his agent.”

--The Reds continue to negotiate with Juan Rivera but it doesn’t sound like a deal is in the immediate offing. “I talked to his agent today,” Jocketty said. “But there’s really nothing new.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jocketty on Baldelli
    Posted by JohnFay at 12/17/2008 6:04 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

Walt Jocketty heard about the new medical report on Rocco Baldelli on the radio this afternoon. It caught his interest to say the least.

A report from a Rhode Island TV station said Baldelli was misdiagnosed and that doctors at the Cleveland Clinic found that Baldelli didn’t have mitochondrial disorder. He has channelopathy, which is a treatable disease.

"It's definitely an encouraging development," Baldelli told the St. Petersburg Times from his Rhode Island home. "Knowing this is a treatable condition, I feel this is a very positive thing for me and my baseball career. With this less-severe diagnosis, I hope to be on the field on a much more regular basis."

“I haven’t talked to his agent (since report came out),” Jocketty said. “But if it’s not as critical as it was thought to be that changes the way we see him. I’m sure it changes it for a lot of clubs.”

Baldelli would seem to be a perfect fit for the Reds. He’s a right-handed hitting, center fielder. He’s only 27. He hit .287 and averaged 13 home runs and 76 RBI in his first two years in the majors before injuries, then the mysterious ailment side-tracked his career. Also from Jocketty:

--The Reds are waiting for an answer on a counter proposal that made to Jerry Hairston Jr.

--It doesn’t sound like the Reds are ready to enter the Milton Bradley derby. “We discussed it,” Jocketty said. “But we haven’t contacted his agent.”

--The Reds continue to negotiate with Juan Rivera but it doesn’t sound like a deal is in the immediate offing. “I talked to his agent today,” Jocketty said. “But there’s really nothing new.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    This is interesting.... I would support a Baldelli deal as long as its like a 2 yr. deal.

Juan Rivera is not my 1st choice, but he's a very REDS choice, so I can see that happening.

I really, really hope we do Baldelli over Taveras **crosses fingers**

Turn Off Ads?