Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds have talked to agents for Baldelli, Rivera, plan to talk Burrell

Re: Reds have talked to agents for Baldelli, Rivera, plan to talk Burrell

How the opinions of Juan Rivera, RedsZone's darling child, change after Cyclone speaks out against him...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    How the opinions of Juan Rivera, RedsZone's darling child, change after Cyclone speaks out against him...
    Mine hasn't changed, but I'm sure everyone already knew that. I'm just tired of arguing.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Get me Pat the bat.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Make a good argument someday and maybe someone will agree with you.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Make a good argument someday and maybe someone will agree with you.

I never made a post in support of Rivera and I'm glad to see Cyclone convince others of his weaknesses...

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Example, do you take a flyer on Patterson again or Rivera (or a pick a mid level guy you like)? Patterson is going to be the lowest bid.
    Given the amount of time remaining in the offseason, I don't think the Reds should get stuck with either of those two options. My thinking is I want to keep the flyers on the bench, which means no one's getting $3M.

We're talking about a middle of the lineup bat here. It ought to be someone you really want or someone with big upside. Rivera's just not that guy.

I never made a post in support of Rivera and I'm glad to see Cyclone convince others of his weaknesses...
    That wasn't a cheap bust on Cyclone? My apologies if it wasn't, but it came across as ... well, something not too cool.

It's not looking so good in LF so far, is it?

I really think Walt's hamstringing himself a bit by limiting his search to righty hitters.

Hermida's a better target than any of these guys and it's not even really close. That kid would mash at GAB.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That wasn't a cheap bust on Cyclone? My apologies if it wasn't, but it came across as ... well, something not too cool.

Is that how it read? Not my intention at all. I meant Cyclone is very influential. I have the utmost admiration for Cyclone as a poster. I never understood why we have spent the last few months discussing Juan Rivera as a middle of the order corner outfielder. There really isn't a single part of his game that stands out to me. He would have been a nice pickup a few years, but his ship has since sailed.

I'm a little surprised by your response though...

Is that how it read? Not my intention at all. I meant Cyclone is very influential. I have the utmost admiration for Cyclone as a poster. I never understood why we have spent the last few months discussing Juan Rivera as a middle of the order corner outfielder. There really isn't a single part of his game that stands out to me. He would have been a nice pickup a few years, but his ship has since sailed.

I'm a little surprised by your response though...
    It read nasty to me. My bad. Sorry about the confusion. PM me if you've got any more questions, no reason to beat it into the dirt on the public board.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Get me Pat the bat.
    He's really the best of the 3 choices offensively. Just get ready for some ghastly LF defense, though.

this was on mlbtraderumours with a link: Baldelli a Red??

"Winter meetings, Day 3: Baldelli a Red?
    12:25 AM Thu, Dec 11, 2008 | Permalink
    Joe McDonald Email

By Joe McDonald
    Journal Sports Writer

LAS VEGAS _ A group of Cincinnati Reds personnel, including manager Dusty Baker, were playing roulette Tuesday night. A member of the contingent yelled "Put it on No. 5 for Rocco Baldelli" and now it appears the Reds are having talks with his agent.

Baldelli has worn No. 5 for the Rays his entire career. The Red Sox were also interested in the Rhode Island native. He met with the Red Sox at Fenway Park a few weeks ago to educate them on his health and mitochondrial disorder.

During the meetings here at the Bellagio Hotel, it appears the Sox have stepped back with their interest in the outfielder. "

Well he wont wear #5 here.. maybe #15? or #6?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not excited about Dye either. He's just a better, safer target than Rivera despite the age. I wouldn't be interested in Dye as anything but a stopgap, and I won't lie when I state that part of Dye's appeal is his likely high Type FA status.

If anything, the Dye aspect also tells you how much I wouldn't miss Homer Bailey.
    What is better or safer about Jermaine Dye?

Dye also has a poor BB rate and is also useless unless he's hitting .300.

Dye broke his leg in 2001 and spent 2002 recovering. He was fine after that. Yet Rivera's broken leg is somehow sticking in your craw?

Plus Dye is older, a worse defender, and ridiculously more expensive.

Here are Dye's stats from the past 5 years:
    Code:
    Year	Team	G	AB	R	H	HR	RBI	BB	SO	SB	CS	OBP	SLG	AVG
    2004	OAK	137	532	87	141	23	80	49	128	4	2       .329	 .464	 .265
    2005	CHW	145	529	74	145	31	86	39	99	11	4	.333	.512	.274
    2006	CHW	146	539	103	170	44	120	59	118	7	3	.385	.622	.315
    2007	CHW	138	508	68	129	28	78	45	107	2	1	.317	.486	.254
    2008	CHW	154	590	96	172	34	96	44	104	3	2	.344	.541	.292
    Not really a stat line you can set your watch to.

I don't understand why you think he's better and safer than Juan Rivera.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 12-11-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Okay, you guys are making me sway towards Juan Rivera's way. Two year deal with an option. I wouldn't mind Badelli either to platoon with Dickinson in CF.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    this was on mlbtraderumours with a link: Baldelli a Red??

"Winter meetings, Day 3: Baldelli a Red?
    12:25 AM Thu, Dec 11, 2008 | Permalink
    Joe McDonald Email

By Joe McDonald
    Journal Sports Writer

LAS VEGAS _ A group of Cincinnati Reds personnel, including manager Dusty Baker, were playing roulette Tuesday night. A member of the contingent yelled "Put it on No. 5 for Rocco Baldelli" and now it appears the Reds are having talks with his agent.

Baldelli has worn No. 5 for the Rays his entire career. The Red Sox were also interested in the Rhode Island native. He met with the Red Sox at Fenway Park a few weeks ago to educate them on his health and mitochondrial disorder.

During the meetings here at the Bellagio Hotel, it appears the Sox have stepped back with their interest in the outfielder. "

Well he wont wear #5 here.. maybe #15? or #6?
    The Red Sox backing off is probably not related to Baldelli's health situation. They're supposedly talking to the D-Backs about swapping Julio Lugo for Eric Byrnes.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?