Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is Walt Headed ?

Where is Walt Headed ?

Based on the moves made already, and the players popping up in trade rumors (the ones that seem to have validity anyway) what direction is Walt trying to take the team?

Also, do you think a BCast inspired "win now" approach is being taken?

It's way to early to make any solid conclusions, just curious if you feel there's been any signals sent thus far.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where is Walt Headed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Based on the moves made already, and the players popping up in trade rumors (the ones that seem to have validity anyway) what direction is Walt trying to take the team?

It's way to early to make any solid conclusions, just curious if you feel there's been any signals sent thus far.
    I think that dealing for Hernandez instead of a younger catcher and the dance they're doing over Dye signals that they are at least gonna try to sell the fanbase that they're out to compete for the WC at least.

I think there are several avenues Jocketty could go and he will probably explore them all.

I think he came into this week believing that giving up talent for Dye might actually be cheaper than signing a Free Agent bat. I think that the events in Vegas this week, my have them believing that they may just get a decent Free Agent and hold onto the talent they would deal for Dye. If nothing else, it may have given them a little more negotiating leverage with the White Sox.

I think he is starting to think that the Dye move really isn't worth it, and acquiring a cheaper RH bat may be his best option.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I think that dealing for Hernandez instead of a younger catcher and the dance they're doing over Dye signals that they are at least gonna try to sell the fanbase that they're out to compete for the WC at least.

I think there are several avenues Jocketty could go and he will probably explore them all.

I think he came into this week believing that giving up talent for Dye might actually be cheaper than signing a Free Agent bat. I think that the events in Vegas this week, my have them believing that they may just get a decent Free Agent and hold onto the talent they would deal for Dye. If nothing else, it may have given them a little more negotiating leverage with the White Sox.
    BOOM. There it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    BOOM. There it is.

BOOM goes the Dynamite!

I think he's got three basic rules:

1) Don't get worse anywhere
    2) Get better where you can
    3) Don't expose yourself your to big negative risks

If you look at his tenure in St. Louis, he was quite risk averse. His strength as a GM in St. Louis was building a solid floor while capitalizing on opportunities to raise it. The Cards were rarely a bad team under Jocketty and when things broke their way, Jocketty locked it in. McGwire and Edmonds were acquired on the cheap and kept in town. Rolen came with a pretty big discount and was flipped for a decent value in return when he declined. Chris Carpenter was signed for peanuts.

I think the description of the Dye scenario sounds quite likely.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Where is Walt Headed?
    According to Fay's blog, Walt is at the airport and is headed back to Cincy. :

I think Walt is trying to build for the future while trying to win now at the same time. He's not going to trade Jay Bruce/Johnny Cueto or our top prospects for a quick fix, but at the same time he's not going to sit on his butt and watch this team lose 90 games next season. I think we'll see him make some moves that can help the team in 2009 but not jeopardize the future. Walt's a smart guy. I'm pleased with what he's did so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Acquiring Henandez, Rhodes and being involved for Dye is a clear signal they aren't building for the future. It's "win now".

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Chris Carpenter was signed for peanuts
    Wasn't Carpenter acquired just after a major arm injury? RZ would blow up if the Reds acquired a pitcher coming off a major arm injury.

Not if he was indeed acquired for "peanuts".

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Acquiring Henandez, Rhodes and being involved for Dye is a clear signal they aren't building for the future. It's "win now".
    Agreed. Although I think OBM is sort of correct in the fact that he's not going to mortgage the future on a short-term fix. I don't think he's necessarily "building for the future" though. Signs so far point to "win now".

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Wasn't Carpenter acquired just after a major arm injury? RZ would blow up if the Reds acquired a pitcher coming off a major arm injury.
    he sat out the 2003 season while under contract to the Cards

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Except that none of these moves lock up players long term, or got rid of key prospects. Its definitely OBM's take - Walt's trying to do some winning now and keep the future looking bright at the same time. If they were all out for 2009 don't you think he could move one of those young players to make a short term gain? Or a package of our best prospects for a stud veteran or two that would make the '09 team much better at the cost of the future?

To me its obvious he's trying to build an '09 squad that has fewer holes and a stronger nucleus overall without the kind of blockbuster deal that would harm the plans for later years. In short order he's re-populated the bullpen and it looks better, made the catching position stronger, eliminated a couple bad players, traded an oft injured salary weight. He still needs to add a solid hitter, beef up the outfield corps (which would now be helped by re-signing Hairston, which prior to Freel leaving was a redundancy), and if he can find a SS to stopgap AGon just in case, but more and more I'm thinking they're going to ride what they have at SS, with Kepp and Janish and Rosales as that stopgap. There could be a couple very good FAs at a better than normal price/term coming this year, too, due to economics in general. I like what's happened and think Walt's not even close to done yet.

Here's my bullet point summarizing where he's headed: "He's got one foot on the now and one foot on the future but it's not apparent he'll end up going anywhere"

He seems to be trying to buy time for the farm to catch up a bit while trying to give his current 25 man roster a chance if "everything goes right". He's not having an "all in" Dombrowski moment (at least not yet).
    Last edited by jojo; 12-11-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here's my bullet point summarizing where he's headed: "He's got one foot on the now and one foot on the future but it's not apparent he'll end up going anywhere"
    which is generally the case. Hasn't worked here in the last 10 years.

Turn Off Ads?