Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McCoy: Bailey traded for Dye

McCoy: Bailey traded for Dye

Source: Reds deal Bailey for White Sox slugger

Jermaine Dye, a 12-year veteran with a .278 career average, would give team a proven right-handed batter.

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Sunday, December 07, 2008

With baseball's annual winter meetings unfurling this week at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, rumors run rampant.

A noteworthy one involving the Cincinnati Reds is making the rounds — pitcher Homer Bailey for Chicago White Sox outfielder Jermaine Dye.

A major-league source close to the situation told The Dayton Daily News on Sunday, Dec. 7, "The deal is done and will be announced this week."

The Reds are in the market for an outfielder and moving Bailey makes sense. The 22-year-old righthander, the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2004, has not lived up to high expectations and some club officials believe a change of venue would be best for him.

Bailey was 0-6 with a 7.93 ERA in eight starts with the Reds last year and was only 4-7 with a 4.77 ERA at Class AAA Louisville.

He won only one game at Louisville after April and that was in September.

And he didn't enamor himself with the team when he was demoted to Louisville in early August and said he welcomed the demotion because Louisville had a winning atmosphere and the clubhouse was more fun.

Dye, 34, is a 12-year veteran with a .278 career major-league average after hitting .292 last season in 154 games.

He is a right-handed bat, something the Reds need, and he hit 34 homers with 96 RBIs playing for the White Sox in homer-friendly U.S. Cellular Field.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spredsweb.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: McCoy: Bailey traded for Dye

While I believe the Reds need a LF bat, preferably RH....I don't really like this trade if it happened (source from McCoy).

I dont know if i like this unless we seriously add some more talent to this roster.

Agreed...Bailey's 22 years old, has #1 starter stuff, and we just traded him for a worse than average defensive, decent hitting 35 yr old outfielder...

I think in a couple years, when Bailey harnesses his control, we're really, really going to regret this trade.

I really hope that it was straight up, and not anything else included on our side...

I would love this trade. Dye is solid.

Not to mention a 1yr rental of a player that is aging. I'm not saying Dye wouldn't contribute, but to lose Bailey like this makes me feel shafted.

I am estatic, sorry guys, but I love Homer Bailey and I hope Dye works out for you, but I think Chicago just found there next anchor to the pitching staff for years to come.

Dye is a very below average fielder and for the Reds sake I hope Dusty doesn't grandfather him into RF just because he played there last year, he belongs in LF and wouldn't be as bad of a fielder there, but obviously his defense would not improve that much.

I realize the need add a right handed bat to this lineup but I really like the potential of Homer. I know he may never develop into a stud but there is the possibility. We can only hope that Dye plays well and the Reds turn it around this season. If Dye helps lead the Reds into a playoff spot then the deal can be looked as good for both teams. Otherwise the deal is far better for the Sox. I hope it works out for the both teams.

For those on the not liking side, at least there's one positive to this trade-to-be...

At least it's not for Laird, a backup catcher...

It gives me hope that our front office is infinitely more capable than the other "professional sports" franchise in Cincinnati...assuming you can really call them professional...

If this does go down, I really hope there's more to come...Dye alone gets us only 4th place probably...not worth giving up a potential #1 for a 1 year rental that gets us 3rd or 4th place at best...

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Not too upset about this one, makes for a great offensive line-up. The guy has power and actually hits for a decent average. I kinda got sour on Homer after last year, not sure he has the attitude needed for him to live up to his potential. Hopefully with Walt at the helm pitching will not be as scarse in this organization as it was in the past, maybe a new Homer will come out of the draft this year. This move has go for it in 09 all over it, and you gotta love that. We are young enough at most positions that we can load up this year and not have to tear it down and start over.

It's hard for the Reds to win this trade really unless they find a way to get to the playoffs this year. (highly doubtful) It's either a draw because Dye has a slightly declined year with the Reds and Homer never amounts to anything or Homer becomes special and the Reds get raped.

The only reason I'm pessimistic here is I think you either go for it now(which I don't think we're ready for or willing to spend for) or you start rebuilding. This team has not been successful because they have not sold out or started over yet...they stay right in the middle with no plan. Surely Jocketty has a plan... if we get a SS and catcher and another reliever or two worth writing home about... I may become a little excited about this but not yet

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    For those on the not liking side, at least there's one positive to this trade-to-be...

At least it's not for Laird, a backup catcher...
    I definitely agree here... all of those rumors were really worrying me. This is 10 times better than bringing in Laird

Quote Originally Posted by CRedsLarkin11 View Post
    I definitely agree here... all of those rumors were really worrying me. This is 10 times better than bringing in Laird
    If that one would have happened, there would seriously be a need to get the Who Dey Revolution guys to start a "Big Red Revolution"...

Just freaking great....... Welcome to the Jocketty years folks!

Turn Off Ads?