Turn Off Ads?

Thread: nine player, three team trade(no cubs)

nine player, three team trade(no cubs)

per mlb alerts:

mets acquire j.j. putz, m's get aaron heilman and franklin gutierrez, and indians get joe smith.

i got this text while driving and was worried it involved the cubs and padres.

edit: i don't know who the other players involved are, it didn't say.
    Last edited by fadetoblack2880; 12-10-2008 at 11:35 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: nine player, three team trade(no cubs)

Mets just owned that trade haha

Surprised the Mets traded Smith. Putz is good but Smith is solid as well, young and very cheap.

so, how many closers do the mets currently have? heres the details on this: The Mariners give up Putz, Green, and Reed and get Heilman, Chavez, Carp, and Gutierrez. The Indians give up Gutierrez and get Valbuena and Smith. The Mets give up Heilman, Chavez, Carp, and Smith to get Putz, Green, and Reed.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Well, the Mets said they wanted to improve their bullpen...

I can't think of a worse situation than having to face Johan for seven then looking out at Putz and K-Rod for the last two.

Putz wants to close, for some reason I think this doesn't work out.

They can be civil about this — I'm sure they'll work it out.

Putz can have Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, K-Rod can have Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays and the Yankees series

Joe Smith should thrive in the Indians bullpen

Hello, new user, first post. I am covering the Reds for a site called straitpinkie.com and just wanted to get on here and see what real reds fans thoughts and opinions on their squad are. I know several people who work for the Louisville Bats front office, so from time to time I am able to get the Reds' AAA Affiliate's take on the matters of their parent squad.

For the latest on Reds' hotstove and the cubs/padres charade, as well as a daily dose of awesomeness, visit www.straitpinkie.com

Thanks,
    Chucky

the hell was that?

anyway...

WEDNESDAY, 11:02pm: Geoff Baker says the Mariners got three additional minor leaguers from the Mets: pitcher Maikel Cleto, outfielder Ezequiel Carrera, and pitcher Jason Vargas.
    so it looks like the final tally is:
    The Mets give up Heilman, Chavez, Smith, Carp, Cleto, Carrera, and Vargas to get Putz,
    Green, and Reed.

The Mariners give up Putz, Green, and Reed and get Gutierrez, Heilman, Chavez, Carp, Cleto, Carrera, and Vargas.

The Indians give up Gutierrez and get Valbuena and Smith.

obviously the mets have dramatically improved their bullpen with putz and k-rod but, while i would've liked the mariners to have picked up at least one solid prospect, i still think they did ok. i'm not sold on clevelands part.

some random related observations:

K-Rod has made nine postseason appearances in the last five years and gave up runs in six of them, including all four times he's pitched against the Red Sox. He twice took losses to Boston in the 2004 ALDS, and he gave up a walkoff three-run home run to Manny Ramirez to end the Angels' postseason last year. He hasn't had any blown saves since 2002, when he was instrumental in the Angels' World Series run. But he's hardly been a shutdown reliever in October.

If they pick up the 2010 option on Putz they'll be paying more than $20 million combined to just Putz and K-Rod in 2010.

Billy Wagner who had tommy john surgery in september will still be paid $10.5m in 2009. It's possible that he could be back next sept although he and the mets have a strained relationship now.

Silly Mets, paying more than $20 million for those guys. That's like a team paying $12 million for a guy who pitches one inning a game and only when they have the lead.

...hey, wait...

lol that was good. I hope we don't see another mistake like cordero, milton, etc.

Turn Off Ads?