Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can Danny Dorn be an effective platoon parter in 2009?

Can Danny Dorn be an effective platoon parter in 2009?

I was reading in another thread where Rick compared Danny Dorn to Matt Joyce of the Tigers (and now Rays). I thought it was a very good comparison and it got me to thinking about Dorn. Could he be half of our solution to finding a big bat in left field?

Matt Joyce

.273/.349/.455 - .804 OPS in 1,368 career minor league atbats.

Danny Dorn:

.297/.387/.528 - .915 OPS in 990 career minor league atbats.

They are the same age. Dorn turned 24 on July 20th; Joyce turned 24 on August 3rd.

Dorn absolutely mashes RHP (.971 OPS vs RHP in AA). Could he make the team out of spring training and put up similar numbers to Joyce (.842 OPS) as a platoon player? I don't think it's unrealistic to think he can. Find a solid right handed bat (Rocco Baldelli?) to platoon with Dorn and our left field troubles may be solved.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Danny Dorn be an effective platoon parter in 2009?

I like Danny as a reserve OF or LH half of a platoon, but I don't want to go to Spring Training penciling any of the young OFs (dorn, Stubbs, Henry, Cumberland, etc.) into spots on the 25-man. I'dr ather start Danny in AAA and have him hit everyday (including LHers) and if he mashes again like he has in the past, I might make a place for him.

I look for more experienced answers to go with Dickerson and Bruce in the OF mix to start. Dickerson has earned a shot, but he's not a sure thing by any means. A bad start by or an injury to Dickerson and Dorn could get the call as a LH bat off the bench.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-11-2008 at 01:41 AM.

If he truly mashes RHP, why would it be necessary to have him as part of a platoon? Overall, his numbers would be good enough to have him as a starting outfielder. I do want him to show what he can do in AAA first, though.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 12-11-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Dorn may be ready to put up solid numbers in that platoon role, but it can't help his development any when he doesn't get an opportunity to face lefties. I'd love to see what kind of production we could get out a Dorn/Baldelli platoon, but I feel like taking the time to develop a long term solution in left field would be more beneficial.

Turn Off Ads?